JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I havent quite but a friend used the Chantix and it seemed to work except for a few weird dreams. You can also try replacing a stick of jerky for the smoke when stressed as it somewhat teases the brain and it doesnt cause weight gain.

I used Chantix, it worked great for me but I made the mistake of smoking "just one" after not smoking for 2 years and now I'm back at it. On the other hand a couple of my friends also used Chantix and while it DID help them to stop smoking, they were really bothered by the side affects so had to stop using it before the 3 month program was over.

FIrst of all: I think it is great that you want to quit smoking!

There are many resources out there that will help you pick a "quit date" and keep it going through the weeks/months/years ahead. The biggest challenge is changing your coping mechanisms, i.e. "when I get stressed, I smoke".

You quit once for six years, think about those years and remember how good food tasted, better lung capacity, fewer colds/coughs and how much more money you had for things you really like.

Hopefully you and your wife can do this together, but do not wait if she is not ready, be an example.

Good luck, you have a tough road ahead, but if you have asked for advice you have already taken the first and most difficult step.

Here are some links:
http://whyquit.com/
http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/StayAwayfromTobacco/GuidetoQuittingSmoking/index
http://www.smokefree.gov/

I'm in the process right now.
I started by arming myself with nicotine patches and nicotine lozenges and then spending a long weekend (4 days) away from the wife and puppy. I went to Sunriver, where I could read, drink or watch TV when I wasn't casually walking around - and I could do all of that without anyone on my back. Then I stayed on the patch and used the lozenges as I felt necessary. They say not to use the lozenges and patches together, but "they" can bite me. The lozenges really helped with the vicious cravings and the patches help you maintain.

I really found the alone time helpful at first, since I would have been a pain to deal with at home.

Good luck!

Chantix and Red Hot Fireball candy worked for me when I had failed with everything else. I hit the 6mo mark yesterday. While I still miss smoking, I am starting to smell smokers as they walk by (not the smoke but the smoke/nicotine on the clothes) and it makes me want to vomit (then I imagine that taste in my mouth when I feel like smoking). I am looking forward to the day that I do not miss smoking if it ever comes otherwise I'll keep taking deep breaths and drinking copious amounts of water.

Good luck on quitting! You'll have more money for guns/ammo when you do. As of yesterday, I have saved enough money by not smoking to buy another Les Baer 1911 ;)

I started at 14. Army at 17, smoked until I was 32. Got tired of all the "new" no smoking here & there bs and switched to Skoal. Met my future Wife (long distance) on a Thursday, quit chewing 10 days later on a Sunday and never went back.

You quit once for a long period, imo the mistake was the first one after that. I fight the urges day to day STILL.

I never tried any of the crutches, waste of time would not work ON ME. I always thought a quit smoking crutch was like a sex addict turning to jerkin off. He is still feeding the urge and not fighting it.

Walk away. It was the hardst thing I ever did but so worth it.

Also get a big glass jar, and everyday drop in $1 bills worth of smokes so you can SEE the cash stack up.

After 30+ years, I finally walked away from smoking. Coincided with a divorce and a sin tax increase. Felt the need to improve my marketability, and did not really want to pay more to the state, while I was also paying to the ex. Clean eight years now.

Don't recommend divorce as a pre-condition to quitting. It increases the cost immensely.

Had tried on several ocassions in the preceding years to quit, and sometimes made it a few days, a few weeks. But eventually admited I was losing wind, and developing a cough, and it wasn't just a cold. Wasn't ready to die or carry around an O2 bottle, so I sucked it up, and quit.

Difficult. Really difficult. Tough enough I never want to go back.

You can do it. And you will be happier for it. And healthier.

I am starting to smell smokers as they walk by (not the smoke but the smoke/nicotine on the clothes) and it makes me want to vomit (then I imagine that taste in my mouth when I feel like smoking). I have saved enough money by not smoking to buy another Les Baer 1911 ;)

I remember that smell of others but now it me :( I was thinking a Nighthawk. I will quit and quit for good this time. I can feel it in my lungs and can’t do much without feeling the effects of the smoking.

When I finally quit skoal after ~20 years of dipping (ironically I started chewing to quite smoking), I went and bought a Costco size bucket of sour patch kids candy (which I loved at the time). Every time I felt the itch, I would pop one of the candies in my mouth. Eventually I quit, but I can never eat another sour patch kid!

It's been 3 years now, and to this day I will find myself reaching for that can in my shirt pocket, or checking the price of skoal when I am buying gas to see if I have enough in my pocket to fill the tank plus get a can of dip.

I'm going on three months using Chantix. It works. I've had some weird dreams and it can make you a little nauseous if you don't eat/drink water when you take it. Other than that, it's been the easiest way to quit that I've ever tried. Just make up your mind before you start that you're quitting forever and that you won't have even one...ever.

After smoking for 22+ years, I quit cold, 10 years ago.

The physical addiction (1st. couple of days) was the easy part.
The mental (every day since the last smoke) part is f'ng hard!

Don't make a big deal of quitting. Don't talk about it at work, just start living with out it!

For me, kicking the the mental was replacing the habit of reaching into my pocket and putting the smoke into my mouth. I used sugar free certs, another addiction that was hard to kick!

Good luck, it can be done!

I quit smoking in 1974 after 15 years. I tried several times before and gave back in. Then I turned it over to God, and He removed the habit one afternoon, and have never even desired to return again. I have pity on the smokers today, with the cost of smokes and the "no smoking" campaigns all over the place.
Cast it on Him and He will direct your path. :D

The biggest challenge is changing your coping mechanisms, i.e. "when I get stressed, I smoke".
I agree with this and you need to determine if you have a physical action you combine with smoking. A common one is drinking - grab a brewski (or cocktail) and spark up. If you do not drink then this will be easier but the morning cup of coffee can be just as bad. Just take a look at you actions and see if any of them are consistent with smoking. If so you will HAVE to stop this also. Give the action a six month break (along with stopping smoking) and try it and see if the urge to smoke is still there.

I Dipped for years, quit for a year (for an ex) and then continued to dip for a few years after that... I have tried a few things and they "helped" for awhile. I have been cold turkey for awhile now. I am along the lines of Nuthinfancy, I look at the prices of COPE at the gas station and contemplate picking up a can with the couple bucks I have in the wallet, just reading this thread reminds me of the nicotine buzz (damn I would like some COPE long cut right now LMAO). I have quit by sheer will and am still cold because of it. I should have taken my dad's advice and never pick up a nicotine product. Make up your mind get the resources and support that you need BUT stay away from the drugs!!

Boredom and aggravation were/are my triggers.

Best wishes on your endeavor of quitting, it is rewarding!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top