JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
only fired one shot right through his heart
Where did the other four shots land? :s0092: :s0140:

Hey, I've seen that picture before. You're as bad as me posting the pic of my rainbow trout. (At least @solv3nt told me it was a rainbow trout. I wasn't sure.) Here's another look:

Ferncarp2.jpg

Ruger or Savage. I have shot a couple of the Rugers, they were pretty accurate. I own several Savages, including Axis and Axis II variants. All around MOA.

The Mossberg is out so the Ruger and the Savage are my choices at this point. However the Savage is $130. less after a $40. rebate so I'm leaning that way. $420. compared to $559 for the Ruger. What do you think, is the Ruger worth the extra dough?

The Mossberg is out so the Ruger and the Savage are my choices at this point. However the Savage is $130. less after a $40. rebate so I'm leaning that way. $420. compared to $559 for the Ruger. What do you think, is the Ruger worth the extra dough?
Throwing this out there, bi Mart has on sale right now, Remington 700 ADL models in .308 for less than $500 OTD per an advertisement. No optic included though...

I've owned and/or shot many of the Ruger American's, as well as the Mossberg's. They've all been perfect in operation, and very acceptable in accuracy. Some, phenomenal.

Check the classifieds here. I seen one nib for $500 in 308

Throwing this out there, bi Mart has on sale right now, Remington 700 ADL models in .308 for less than $500 OTD per an advertisement. No optic included though...
This is the way. Massively more future proof as well.

The package scopes, while mostly functional, are pretty chintzy and something you'd likely replace after a season or two anyway.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm looking at three basic .308 Win. bolt guns in the cheap price range. I'm looking at rifle and scope combos. The Ruger American, Savage Axis II and the Mossberg Patriot. All have synthetic stocks and come with scopes mounted. All have adjustable triggers.Two have Vortex 3-9 x 40 and the Savage has a Bushnell 4-12 × 40 on it. Cheapest of the bunch is the Savage.
The Mossberg has a fluted bolt and barrel and a target crown. The Savage stock has some kind of camo that I never heard of. So other than a difference of around a hundred bucks, they're very similar.
I hope some of you guys may have some input on them. Thank you in advance.
I've always liked Ruger products, but I've really never held or fired the American. So can't say for sure but I've heard good things.

The Mossberg fluted barrel sounds good... I had an AR that I built with a fluted barrel (reduces weight and suppresses harmonics) that was super accurate!! Can't go wrong with a target crown either.

I do like a 4x12 and have had good luck with the Bushnell 4x12 and all the other Bushnells I've used over the years. IIRC the low light performance is not as good as more expensive scopes. But beggars can't be choosers.

Another option is to hunt for a older ruger m77. I just picked one up in great shape for under $400 with rings

As a long time Remington owner.... if it ain't the BDL, it ain't as nice.

Seriously, the function of the ADL and BDL is the same. But the accoutrements are so much better on the BDL.

I would go with the Savage and more or premium ammo. While there is nothing wrong with the Ruger, the overall performance of either is about the same. The Savage has a smoother bolt (but with higher bolt lift), and the Ruger has a slightly stiffer stock. Both have good adjustable triggers, if we are talking the Axis II which comes with an accutrigger. Both are out of the box accurate. Both have great customer service. Both made in 'Murica. I don't think the Ruger is $100+ better than the Axis II.

Where did the other four shots land? :s0092: :s0140:

Hey, I've seen that picture before. You're as bad as me posting the pic of my rainbow trout. (At least @solv3nt told me it was a rainbow trout. I wasn't sure.) Here's another look:

View attachment 1754174
What can I say? It was germane to the OP's question and it was the last time I went deer hunting, but I could post some naked selfies if you'd prefer!

BTW- I'm sure that "rainbow" trout identifies as a non-binary "bull trout".

:s0136:

Ruger American 308 for sale under classified now. $499.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top