JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People have to remember that 8 was written primarily for the emerging touch market. It was not really designed for the non touch, or to replace windows 7. Those who were early adopters were aware of this and put it it's correct context. 8.1 addressed (or attempted to) these non touch platform issues. It also included some leaning down, and speed issues in 8. Windows in general, is pretty much the same. Just better. It's smaller and faster than XP, 7, vista, etc.. I think what turned off most people was the UI, and jumping on the "I hate Bill Gates" band wagon, which in reality has just made MS to re think how they do things. By passing windows 9, and going straight to 10 for example. I can seamlessly move between 7,8.1,OSX,etc.. without any pissing or moaning. I have always enjoyed learning new things, and accepting new challenges. The future is here. Embrace it. You can either have a good day...., or not. OSX is really just an upgraded Unix system/Xwindows. It is more or less dumbed down, and not for power users OS. It has it's place, and works fine. Better than windows... not really. Just different. As soon as it gets enough market share for it to become profitable, the hackers will go after them as well. Just a note to those who think somehow OSX is impervious to virus attacks.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I've been running 8.1 since the day it was released. No problems that I've found other than my grandson found it wouldn't run some of his games. Luckily he found that before upgrading.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
WAC Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

There is a program called Classic Shell which will make 8 and 8.1 look like 7. It is very stable and is the talk of computer forums. I have it on this machine which shipped with 8 and upgraded to 8.1.

Classic Shell is free here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

When I bought this Toshiba Satellite laptop it shipped with 8 and I hated it. So I wiped the HDD and installed 7. THEN this dummy found out that Toshiba never made drivers for much of this hardware for 7, so I had to go back.

However, this dummy had used DiskPart to completely wipe the HDD including the restore partition. I had to pay Toshiba $40 to send me a bootable USB stick to restore the computer. 8 wouldn't install from a DVD because the product key is encrypted in the bios and there is no stop screen to enter it, nor can it be done in the registry after installation. It will revert after reboot.

After getting everything sorted, I discovered Classic Shell from a computer forum and all is good.

I run Windows 7 on both my desktop and laptop, which is a MacBook Pro. In 2011, after listening to people rave about Apple for years, I had to know whether they were simply fanboys or really onto something. I have to say that Apple's hardware is top-notch, and I think it was well worth the $1000 purchase price just for that. I tried to get used to OSX for two years, but I found too many things that just weren't conducive to my being productive on a computer. For the past year it's run Windows 7, and I've been extremely happy :D

For what it's worth, everyone I know who's updated to 8.1 from 8 has not regretted it.

8.1 is better than 8, but I still hate almost everything about 8. Flakiest most craptastic product ever. Almost done with MicroSoft, and I've owned ever version of their OS since MS-DOS 2.

The problem with Windows is that it's still and will probably always be registry based..

As soon as my current computer dies I will ditch it and swap over the last piece of hardware in the house to Apple. I'm tired of a bloated registry.

Yes you screwed yourself when you signed up for Windows in general. it's like that leach. it keeps sucking but you don't feel it, and then one day you get it off you and realize what a parasite it's been.

The problem with Windows is that it's still and will probably always be registry based..

As soon as my current computer dies I will ditch it and swap over the last piece of hardware in the house to Apple. I'm tired of a bloated registry.

Yes you screwed yourself when you signed up for Windows in general. it's like that leach. it keeps sucking but you don't feel it, and then one day you get it off you and realize what a parasite it's been.

mac-shaving-with-bowling-pin.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top