JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Sony Vaio has been wanting to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 since I bought just over a year ago. I have been avoiding it because I already hate Windows 8, and have heard horror stories about 8.1. Tonight I was half asleep and the pop up came up, and instead of clicking "Ask Me Later" I clicked yes.

So what can I expect? Is it really worse and what are the problems I will encounter?

I have always heard 8.1 was better then 8. But I am a firm believer is skipping every other upgrade. XP was solid, skipped Vista and went with 7, which is also solid and now wait for 10 to come out, so no experience with 8 or 8.1. However people who have preferred 8.1 over 8.

I hate Windows 8.1 but I hate Windows 8 even more. :eek:Wish I could go back to Windows 7 . I heard that Windows 10 won't be much of an improvement over 8.1 sad to say. About time to sell one of the kids and get an Apple.:)

I hate Windows 8.1 but I hate Windows 8 even more. :eek:Wish I could go back to Windows 7 . I heard that Windows 10 won't be much of an improvement over 8.1 sad to say. About time to sell one of the kids and get an Apple.:)
Find out for yourself, plenty of article and YouTube videos reviewing it and discussing the difference. The technical preview is out, lots of info on it on the web. Also, from what I have seen they have addressed some of the major windows8/8.1 complaints.

Any thing WIN DOZE, Apple does Five times better, and Three times Faster.

Beyond those two items, why, I would suggest Linux, any version.

I am So Tired of WIN BLOWS... it ain't even funny. I will Never by a Micro Soft Product again.Period.End of Sentence. Nope.

philip :cool:

If your machine came from the factory with 8, 8.1 will improve performance. If 7 was an option at time of purchase, then you can install 7, but it would be a full install/wipe. If it did not have a 7 option, then it will be near impossible to got to 7 as they probably will not support it. Getting all the drivers for a unsupported OS can be extremely tricky.

I have several systems (as my job requires it), 7, 8.1, vista, Maverick, and Yosemite. The horror stories I have heard about 8, while amusing, I have not personally experienced it. Yeah, you may hate MS, but it works. I own 3 windows 8 licenses, and all were upgraded to 8.1.

8.1 is small and fast. I have mostly newer systems, but for the most part, it works fine.
The oldest system I have, is a dou core 2 2.4 or something, recently upgraded from XP to 7. When 7 goes away, so will it, as it will be too slow in the near future.

Personally, I'm still running Win XP Pro. None of my Boat navigation equipment, or my years of accumulated software will run on a 64bit system. That, and Bill certainly doesn't need any more of my money. :mad:

I updated one of my computers which had 8.0 to 8.1 and it runs better with 8.1. My older computer has 7.0 which I like better. Older computers are running Linux - Mint or Ubuntu. I think Mint is user friendly.

Generally the tech industry sees 8.1 as a considerable improvement over 8. I don't think it should give you any problems.

For myself, I've stuck with Win7 so far. I might go with 10 after it's been out for a while.

If the software would run on it, I'd stick with FreeBSD.

elsie

Win 7 was way better than 8. I liked XP more than either. One of these days I might get super silly and try out iOS (Mac) since Apple ditched their Motorola based proprietary systems and have been running on Intel architecture for some time. Or try Linux again. I'm contemplating buying/building a gaming computer to replace my dying Playstation 3, and hopefully it won't have Win 8 on it when that time comes.

Win 7 was way better than 8. I liked XP more than either. One of these days I might get super silly and try out iOS (Mac) since Apple ditched their Motorola based proprietary systems and have been running on Intel architecture for some time. Or try Linux again. I'm contemplating buying/building a gaming computer to replace my dying Playstation 3, and hopefully it won't have Win 8 on it when that time comes.
If your building it yourself just load windows 7 and wait to see how 10 is then upgrade as needed. I will not be upgrading to 10 from 7 until I have too. Hoping to upgrade the Mobo, CPU and GPU in my gong rig soon.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top