JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think they need to be defunded, they just need to stop hiring anyone who can fog a mirror.

The way things have been going in LE, fire and EMS, you will be lucky to find anybody with half a brain coming into those trades. My son is a Training Officer with a local fire department and has to teach incoming students what basic hand tools are and how to use them. The smaller districts rely on the intern volunteer model to supplement their full time ranks because their budgets cannot afford full time staff. You take what you can get, they are in a constant training and replacement cycle.

My former neighbor recently retired out of a valley SO, and was a training officer the last 10 years. He and his fellow trainers got called on the carpet several times because they yelled at recruits during breach and entry drills, they dipped Copenhagen at the range, they told recruits to get out of their chairs at briefing, and various other ridiculous minor things.

There is going to be a huge lack of qualified cops, firemen and medics over the next 20 years. Pretty much the current mid 30's age and older cops, fire and medics are about the last age group that has any kind of work ethic, and desire to do something other that look at their fing phones all day. Nothing is going to change that.

" There is going to be a huge lack of qualified cops, firemen and medics over the next 20 years "
That's a real shame. SnoCo EMS literally brought me back from dead when I coded in the ambulance.
They truly are thaumaturgists.

it's really hypocritical when you see teachers screaming about defunding the police, when their unions have the same problem

Teachers should be defunded too. Let 'em look for work on the free market like the rest of us peons.

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Defund Kate Brown, Joann Hardesty, and Ted Wheeler, they are the problem. Your average city cop is trying to do their job, being hamstrung by their bosses. The city and state leaders hate law enforcement. They are getting free federal assistance with their riots. Do they say "Thank you"? Of course not, their message is GTFO. Worthless people. How they got elected is beyond me.

I think that in dense/urban/downtown sections, that their should still be officers "walking a beat".
In that scenario the local residents/businesses actually see a human being that they can get to know, instead of a faceless entity behind a tinted car window.
The officer can also get to "know" the people, and can recognize those who "don't belong", or look "out of place" on his beat.
I know,, that's old fashioned and out of style with the "progressive" mindset.

The police are getting "defunded" one way or the other. If not because of activists, it'll be the economic disaster that "defunds" the police, and many other services.

2021 government budgets will be a slaughterfest. I know the government keeps trying to print money, but eventually they'll run out of ink.

This cuts to the heart of the matter. De-fund? Seriously? Every single one of the complaints about law enforcement results from training issues (lack thereof, or substandard training). Most agencies I've worked for, including my current department, need MORE funds so we can get QUALITY training. You'll see less bullbubblegum results on the streets (and on YouTube) when law enforcement gets the quality training it needs -- and deserves.

Cool, you don't get to call them.

I'm fine with that, since I'm on my own anyway. I don't want to pay for 'em either. And please stop them arresting me for violating unconstitutional laws while you're at it.

I know cops are mostly decent people doing a sucky job; but they would be better off in free market protection. Working in a rotten, thuggish institution is never going to be very satisfying.

Portland had lots of vacancies before all this started. Maybe if they defund them, HR will just stop trying to fill them. Won't solve any of the percieved racial issues. Even Emperor Hardesty doesnt have the ability to fix that. It's a cultural shift. Takes time. And in my opinion, the culture that is being asked to change isn't the root of the problem.

How about, to save money, the cops don't respond to calls involving people who want to defund them? Don't want to fund the cops? Cool, you don't get to call them.

P

Then don't give me a speeding ticket if you pull me over. Only ticket people who want to participate in statist over reach.

I am a huge proponent of demilitarizing police departments. Leave the black costumes to the SWAT teams and other "special" units. Get back to community policing by leaving officers in a district until they get to know people and the people get to know them. It might take a while to undo all the damage, but eventually a great many kids will recognize that the police are there to serve and protect them.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews