JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just have to ask, is that PSA you were talking about the cheaper one you would choose over the colt?

And your not a Weird AL fan are ya? I just ask because of your user name.

Yeah, but that's cause of my preference of melonite or nitride over chrome lining. And no, I have this name cause I tend to be a clown in a classroom environment.

This discussion is reminiscent of my latest visit to my local tire store.
I had bent a front wheel to my 95 Chevy trade van last week in Portland when rounding a corner in the black ice.

The tire salesman was trying to persuade me to buy four new aluminum wheels instead of replacing the stock steel one.
I asked him why should I spend $750.00 on 4 new custom wheels when a cheap used OEM steel wheel would only cost me $35.00.
His answer was this, "The custom wheels would look cooler and didn't I want my van to look cooler?"

My reply was "Will it get better mileage with them, will it make the tires last longer, and most important, will hot chicks stop and stare at me because I have these custom wheels installed on my old 95 Chevy work van?" He walked away looking for another rube to fleece.

There's a time to keep things bone stock and then there are times when you have the extra funds to blow on toys that will never return your initial investment, but it doesn't matter to you at the time because it's what you want right now.

The regrets come later when you're older and have the time to look back and say to yourself
"Dang, I shouldn't have walked into that Harley dealership and put money down on that '98 Heritage Springer because that sexy salesgirl was rubbing all over me cooing about how much fun it would be to straddle that hog and roll down the road, and wouldn't these chrome pipes look better then the stock ones, etc, etc.

All you're buying is the brand name.
Honestly.

There are PLENTY of cheaper ARs with the same features and perhaps better quality (in some cases) than a Colt.

I know that doesnt help you, but Im trying to help you save a little money.

Yeah, but that's cause of my preference of melonite or nitride over chrome lining. And no, I have this name cause I tend to be a clown in a classroom environment.
Ah, there was a character by the name of Bobo the clown in the movie UHF starring Weird AL. Us older folks who like goofy movies would remember that one, lol.:p

Honestly.

There are PLENTY of cheaper ARs with the same features and perhaps better quality (in some cases) than a Colt.

This. Joke amongst a few older relatives and I is that you pay an extra hundred for the pony.

Fact. IMO that are no only worthless but create a potential problem if they come apart or out of place in the workings of your weapon. I take them out if provided with my weapons.

Well, some people say it affects accuracy but it made no when I tried it, and o-rings made takedown a PITA. So yeah, one really is better off without one.

Ah, there was a character by the name of Bobo the clown in the movie UHF starring Weird AL. Us older folks who like goofy movies would remember that one, lol.:p

Ah, well I'm still in my early 20s so I wouldn't have known.

I agree to a point. I you think you might flip it leave it stock. Personally I know I'm not getting rid of mine, I just wanted a solid rifle and have extensively modified it, but the major components are Colt - receivers, barrel and BCG. On the upper I replaced the forward assist with a Forward Controls LPFA, the CH with a Raptor, the ejection port cover and the Magpul MOE handguard with a DD RIS II FSP, which means I had to remove the A2 flash suppressor, FSB, gas tube, (which were reinstalled) front handguard end cap, delta ring & spring assembly and barrel nut (which remained off). On the lower I have replace the replace the RE with a BCM A5 system, all the controls with ambidextrous parts (AXTS Talon, Norgon mag release with a BAD-EMR), bolt catch with ABC/R-F, pivot & takedown pins with a BAD-EPS and the FCG with a Geisselle SSA. It is an awesome weapon. I used the take-off parts to build an inexpensive AR using an Aero upper and lower and BCM barrel for a great beater.

Fact. IMO that are no only worthless but create a potential problem if they come apart or out of place in the workings of your weapon. I take them out if provided with my weapons.

You can count me a "naysayers". I will take a Colt any day of the week of a PSA
How is that aero? That's the one I was thinking of getting that they were out of stock on the pair and didn't know when they would get more.
Honestly.

It's no different than anything really, Nike is a good example. It has their name on it so the price is jacked up. You should have seen when I had to buy mustang parts. Mention the name mustang and the price shot up, the same part without mentioning the name cost less.

Yes, it doesn't help, lol. What are some that is better quality than the colt but cheaper? Just curious....

I've seen too many shoddy gas key stakings with inferior grade bolts, Loc-tite instead of moly-grease and staking on RE castle nuts, cheesy cast FSB, etc. on PLENTY of cheaper ARs that supposedly have the same features and quality, but hey it is your money.
There's cheap, then there's crap. Crap tends to be cheap, but not all cheap stuff is crap. I don't think any of us from the south baby our stuff if that says anything. ;)

Ok, you just made me feel older......:(
If it matters, it means that I don't have as many years of shooting experience.

Considering I got less than $450 into it with nothing but quality Colt and BCM parts I can't complain.
Yea, that's pretty good all right. I wouldn't be complaining either. The shop that was going to build me the ar led me to believe it was of really good quality so I was curious from a real user/owner.

If it matters, it means that I don't have as many years of shooting experience.

Oh yea, that makes me feel world's better, lol.;)

Well OK there's gonna be dozens of answers to this one, so here's mine.

I have a 6920 and replaced the trigger with a Geissele SSA and the stock with a Magpul ACS. It's a great little rifle and took almost no effort to get it this way.
If you want to build a rifle from the ground up, then great; but I wanted an extremely reliable goes-bang-every-time gun which shoots better than I do and will probably last a lifetime.

Top it off with an Aimpoint Pro optic and nobody will want to stand in front of that thing for very long.:s0155:

Don't listen to all the why don't you or why would you. its your money do what you want . Don't get me wrong they mostly valid points People buy colts cause they wants a colt so it seems crazy to switch the upper but if thats what you want to do do it. But sounds like you want a custom build to your personal liking again its your money do what you want I'm not gonna tell you what you should or should not do with your money But what I would do if I wanted that barrel because I had read its was accurate ( which I have not as I don't have any personal interest in one ) is buy a $49.99 palmento lower. But a match trigger like a Gisselle (sp?) trigger. find a quality mil spec melonite or nitrate treated bolt carrier group ( sorry folks but this is not kool aid I am drinking I believe they go to 11 ) get the barrel and rail you like
and the took if it requires something other than a GI Barrel Wrench and get it done.

you need help with this send me a PM

@Kowboy You asked earlier about Aero uppers and lowers. My build a few summers ago were based on them. Mine, both pair were dimensionally perfect. No slop or wiggle between them - you couldn't get a scalpel in there.

If I had planned on resale I'd have considered Colt, but only for ease of resale. They currently have good quality but have had problems as all other manufacturers periodically do. Because I make lifetime purchases I get what I want, and the extra dollars for the roll mark are a waste to me.

Colt used to, and I'm not sure they still use, shrouded bolt carriers and a few other mods to prevent conversion to full auto. The pros and cons a probably a wash, but you should purchase with your eyes wide open.

My builds if you are interested: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/3ms-ar-builds.178084/#post-1147450

Every part is carefully thought out including the stainless steel and nitride treated poly barrels from Blackhole Weaponry. Each rifle proofed 200 rounds of ammo to break in with only a ftf or two in the first mag. You could probably do a similar build non free floated for the same price as the Colt with better parts all the way around. Building is like playing with an erector set. Just something to consider.

Colt used to, and I'm not sure they still use, shrouded bolt carriers and a few other mods to prevent conversion to full auto. The pros and cons a probably a wash, but you should purchase with your eyes wide open.

They use full auto carriers. Shrouded doesn't keep it from being converted to full auto. A shrouded bcg means that it isn't the firing pin that pushes the hammer back. What does keep an AR from being converted? Having a block where the auto sear would go, a high shelf receiver, and probably a few other things. Not being rich is also another thing, a RDIAS is gonna require a 2nd mortgage, the soul of your first born, or just being rich.

Edit: Added photo.
78c6a0438edc4df66c2500e4b5e52571.png

This is how a full auto carrier looks, on the bottom anyways. This is the BCG that came with my Colt upper.

78c6a0438edc4df66c2500e4b5e52571.png

Last Edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for their input and I will be using a lot of the suggestions given including looking into BCM, building another one from scratch, and building an upper for the colt. I picked up a 6720 this evening from the local gun shop, not exactly what I had in mind but it will do, no big regrets. So if someone can point me in the direction of the type of floating quad rail I can use on this sucker I will be greatful. :D

@Kowboy You asked earlier about Aero uppers and lowers. My build a few summers ago were based on them. Mine, both pair were dimensionally perfect. No slop or wiggle between them - you couldn't get a scalpel in there.

If I had planned on resale I'd have considered Colt, but only for ease of resale. They currently have good quality but have had problems as all other manufacturers periodically do. Because I make lifetime purchases I get what I want, and the extra dollars for the roll mark are a waste to me.

My builds if you are interested: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/3ms-ar-builds.178084/#post-1147450

Every part is carefully thought out including the stainless steel and nitride treated poly barrels from Blackhole Weaponry. Each rifle proofed 200 rounds of ammo to break in with only a ftf or two in the first mag. You could probably do a similar build non free floated for the same price as the Colt with better parts all the way around. Building is like playing with an erector set. Just something to consider.
I'm going to read about your builds, thanks for the link.:)

So if someone can point me in the direction of the type of floating quad rail I can use on this sucker I will be greatful. :D
Daniel Defense Omega rail, at least then you make no modifications. If you can find one that's in stock that is. It isn't cheap, somewhere between $230-$280 I think. For the 12 inch one that is.

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of any kind of optic would you?

Daniel Defense Omega rail, at least then you make no modifications. If you can find one that's in stock that is. It isn't cheap, somewhere between $230-$280 I think. For the 12 inch one that is.

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of any kind of optic would you?
I'll check it out first thing tomorrow. I forgot to mention the front sight/gas block is coming off as well....as soon as I figure out how...

I'm not sure. A friend of mine suggested running a scope on the top and a red dot on an angle on the side, but I was thinking of a red dot of some sort and save the scope for the upper I want to build for it. Last I heard he was going to put a red dot he has from his last ar on his new one when he gets it until he can afford an acog scope. If you got any suggestions I'm all ears. I have a few red dots laying around but they are of a crappie quality and I really don't want to use them for this.

The front sight pins are driven out from the left side and come out on the right side.
They are tapered pins and can't be driven out from the right side.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top