JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to ar's (forgive me) and I'm thinking of getting a Colt 6720 or a 6920, leaning towards the 6720. Is the barrel and handguard interchangeable with something like a polygonal barrel and floating flush mount quad rail, and if so what's required to do it other than buying a new barrel, gas block, and quad rail?

One of the reasons to buy a Colt is for the barrel.
It's proof tested, chrome lined and of a specific steel.

If you don't see any value in that [Some don't. I do. but whatever].
Why don't you just get a MAYBLOW brand AR?

If your set on paying for colt quality and promptly removing it.
Then buy a complete Colt and all the different uppers that float your boat?
Then sell the Colt upper. And keep the MAYBLOW uppers.

Last Edited:
Of all the AR's I've owned, Colt triggers are the worse and the very first thing I replace.

I would purchase a SmithWesson as I believe them to be same category as Colt and they also have a chrome lined bbl / chamber.

LMT, DD and Noveske (to name a few) are far superior to Colt, IMO.

BTW, a 6720 is a light weight bbl while the 6920 is a govt. profile. My 6721 out shoots my 6920. I'm sure the 6720 with it's lightweight barrel would warm up quickly and the POI begin shifting way before the 6721 and 6920's. All of them should fit your inside your quad rail and the uppers take any after market bbl you want to mount into them.

Last Edited:

Do you get those at TheprincessandthepeaAR's.com?
lol
And it's a frigin battle rifle. The triggers are fine.

The s&w crossed my mind actually when I did some research, I still have to look into them more though. I'm not opposed to getting one, I was just reading some feedback on the Colts and they were all pretty positive which is what got me thinking in that direction, and I figured since I was happy with my 1911 I would be with the colt. I've read some good things about those polygonal barrels so I thought they would be worth a try.
Originally I was thinking of building my own from the ground up but I think for my first ar I want to start with something with a good base and make some minor changes to it like a new barrel and floating quad rail and go from there. Do you by chance know how easy it is to change out the barrel and hand guard on a s&w? I've looked at the others you suggest and they are a wee bit out of my price range, lol.

there is very little difference between the two, re. changing out the handguard, or barrel. Pretty much that same amount of work.
If you NEED light weight, then get the lightweight one. i prefer heavy barrels myself. Stay cooler, more accurate. IMO.

you can spec the rifle you want from some vendors and they will assemble it for you
I tried that actually, didn't really work out in my favor. Plus the places I tried to find a matched set for the upper and lower were all out of stock and they didn't know when they were going to have more in.

there is very little difference between the two, re. changing out the handguard, or barrel. Pretty much that same amount of work.
If you NEED light weight, then get the lightweight one. i prefer heavy barrels myself. Stay cooler, more accurate. IMO.
Nah, I don't need lightweight necessarily, I just figured the 6720 because it was roughly about $300 cheaper than the 6920 and if I change out barrels anyway it wouldn't make a big difference what barrel was on it currently. The colt and s&w are around the same price point and that's pretty much where my budget is at for now. The barrel and quad rail change would come later, I just want to make sure whichever I get it could be done to and as easy as possible.

whoa , proof tested , chrome lined and a "specific" steel....like a 1000 other barrels

well, if you are getting a smith, or a colt, you are already getting a "good" barrel, so IMO there really isn't any reason to change it out, until you shoot it out. Again, JMO

well, if you are getting a smith, or a colt, you are already getting a "good" barrel, so IMO there really isn't any reason to change it out, until you shoot it out. Again, JMO
You make a valid point. I've heard about the polygonal barrels from a vendor on how accurate they are and it sounded interesting so I did some reading on it and thought it would be something to try.

Why do you want a "matched set" to then turn around and stick a non-matching barrel on it?
You want a frankenrifle but you don't want a frenkenrifle.. am I following along here?

Why do you want a "matched set" to then turn around and stick a non-matching barrel on it?
You want a frankenrifle but you don't want a frenkenrifle.. am I following along here?
Lol, yes and no. I wanted a matched upper and lower so I have good fitment and less movement. In other words guaranteed to fit together with no problems.

A colt will flop around just as much as any other upper/lower generic combination. You could build a pretty nice rifle, from parts for your budget. Buying a colt is that you are buying a finished good. A known commodity. That's all. There are far better guns out there. Colt is a fine product. But as Certaindeaf said, if you want a franken gun (which is totally fine BTW/IMHO/etc..) then might as well START there. If you want a colt, just buy one and call it a day. There are as many barrels out there that can cost a lot of money, but the colt barrel will be just fine as well.
If you want to free float it, I would shop for that item first, then buy a finished gun, and have the work done. That way you will know actual costs.

Lol, yes and no. I wanted a matched upper and lower so I have good fitment and less movement. In other words guaranteed to fit together with no problems.
Its gonna wobble. If you don't like wobble, use an O-ring or accuwedge. Most, if not all, standard AR parts fit with any standard AR. Only time that changes is when going the .308 AR/AR-10 route, or going with ARs that use an operating rod (PWS, LWRC, POF, etc). Even then, there are parts that are still interchangeable with other AR parts.

whoa , proof tested , chrome lined and a "specific" steel....like a 1000 other barrels
Woah there bub, stop spreading these obvious lies! Obviously if it doesn't have that magical pony on it, it'll blow up in your face! Quick, go buy something that's been blessed with the magical pony logo or the gun will blow up in your face! ;)

Nothing wrong with Colt, if you're okay with them being anti-gun, but I can name other ARs I'd grab over a Colt. The ONLY reason to buy a Colt is if you don't intend to make any modifications and want an AR with good resale value. Otherwise, either build your own with quality parts or buy another AR with the stuff you like already on it.

If you want a Colt then get a colt! if you intend to change a bunch of parts then why not just build one and pick all the parts you want! Like was said before in another post, you buy a colt for the barrel and the roll mark on the lower! if those things don't matter then your money will go a lot further doing something else!

You guys bring up good points. What's ironic is I was thinking of doing a 308 after this one. Well, what do you guys suggest? I'm looking for something of good quality (not the bottom rung bargain basement surplus of ar stuff and not top of the line need a second mortgage on the house kind of stuff) that is dependable, accurate as hell, and looks good. I have no plans on selling it so resale value isn't a primary issue for me. My budget is a grand or under, hopefully and praying under. I know of a nice ffl in my neighborhood who can bring in a lower or a whole gun without a problem or I can go to the gun show and dredge something up. And for the record if I wanted a MAYBLOW ar in the first place I wouldn't be looking at colts or s&w's, or asking for advice from people more knowledgeable than I. I would be cruising the Web for the cheapest piece of crap I could find.;) So what do y'all suggest, build one and with what upper and lower, or what complete gun that I can tweak?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top