JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy the colt. Leave it alone. Build a NEW upper to you liking. 1 is none. 2 is 1.
Having more uppers is a good thing. It's really where the rubber meets the road on AR's.

A colt will flop around just as much as any other upper/lower generic combination. You could build a pretty nice rifle, from parts for your budget. Buying a colt is that you are buying a finished good. A known commodity. That's all. There are far better guns out there. Colt is a fine product. But as Certaindeaf said, if you want a franken gun (which is totally fine BTW/IMHO/etc..) then might as well START there. If you want a colt, just buy one and call it a day. There are as many barrels out there that can cost a lot of money, but the colt barrel will be just fine as well.
If you want to free float it, I would shop for that item first, then buy a finished gun, and have the work done. That way you will know actual costs.

You guys are touchy about your MAYBLOW AR's :D
And they really are good guns. As long as they run and you enjoy them.

Now maybe you can help me out with this POS Colt 6920 I have?
The upper and lower are Rock solid. Zero movement!

And It doesn't have that big gap between the upper and lower.
[Is that there so you can watch the hammer move? Or to let the dirt in?] :s0140:

Anyways. Should I send it back and explain to Colt it's making all my friends feel AR inadequate?
All there upper/lowers flop around! ;)

And some have even resorted to putting some kind of AR molestation ''cock ring'' on them to keep them stiff. :s0153:

Last Edited:
You guys are touchy about your MAYBLOW AR's :D
And they really are good guns. As long as they run and you enjoy them.

Now maybe you can help me out with this POS Colt 6920 I have?
The upper and lower are Rock solid. Zero movement!

[Is that there so you can watch the hammer move? Or to let the dirt in?] :s0140:

Anyways. Should I send it back and explain to Colt it's making all my friends feel AR inadequate?
All there upper/lowers flop around! ;)

And some have even resorted to putting some kind of AR molestation ''cock ring'' on them to keep them stiff. :s0153:

Dude. I'm not knockin your Colt. Great guns. Are there better? Yes. Are there worse? yes.
I don't own any "MAYBLOW" guns. Period. My guns run just fine. Are they worth more than I paid for them??? NO. They don't have to be, because I am not selling them, anytime soon.

LOL. So where are going to get a Colt 6920 or 6970 + a barrel + FF rail + gas block for "a grand or under"?

Look at my post, that is what I suggest you do. Get that upper fast before they go back up in price or are sold out. Or buy the Colt and leave it alone.
I can get the 6720 for under a grand on gunbroker, the barrel and such would come later when I built up my depleted gun fund again. I just wanted to make sure it could be done IF I wanted to make changes later down the road. The only thing I plan on changing soon would be putting a floating quad rail on it and maybe the stock and grip. Oh, and the 6920 is around $1200 on gunbroker right now. I would have to beg and plead to get my budget raised that high.:oops:

''Little Turd'' Colt 6920. Cost me $950 with Magpul furniture :D Nine months ago!

Today. I fear titsonritz is correct. :(
You are right, I saw one yesterday that looked like the twin to yours but in black and I believe it was between $1200-$1300. Some gun shop up in washington was selling it. It's a pitty, I really liked that one...:(

You are right, I saw one yesterday that looked like the twin to yours but in black and I believe it was between $1200-$1300. Some gun shop up in washington was selling it. It's a pitty, I really liked that one...:(

The Black Magpul 6920 was fifty bucks cheeper where I bought mine.

But If I didn't buy Brown [FDE]. I couldn't have named it ''Little Turd'' now could I? ;)

And just going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing your a colt fan...

I'm going to go ahead and say that though I'm answering to this, I am FAR from a Colt fan, in fact I have ARs I'd rather stick with over my Colt (one of which was cheaper, but the other was expensive). BUT... The point of not modifying a Colt is due to resale value. Say the handguard Colt came with was, for the point of this example, $100. You can add a $200 free float handguard to it, but you decrease the resale value. Don't bother with the a Colt if you're gonna modify it, just build one with quality parts or just get another AR with parts you want on there already. You never know if you will need to sell it or not, I had more guns before I got into college if that says anything.

[Is that there so you can watch the hammer move? Or to let the dirt in?]

Something tells me you bought lemons on purpose if you can see the inside. ;) Maybe it fits your Colt agenda [queue dramatic sound]. But seriously, wobble isn't even an issue as long as its still in spec. The o-ring and accuwedge is just for those who think it actually makes a difference.

My AR-10 doesn't wobble if that matters.

You guys bring up good points. What's ironic is I was thinking of doing a 308 after this one. Well, what do you guys suggest? I'm looking for something of good quality that is dependable, accurate as hell, and looks good. I have no plans on selling it so resale value isn't a primary issue for me. My budget is a grand or under, hopefully and praying under. I know of a nice ffl in my neighborhood who can bring in a lower or a whole gun without a problem or I can go to the gun show and dredge something up. And for the record if I wanted a MAYBLOW ar in the first place I wouldn't be looking at colts or s&w's, or asking for advice from people more knowledgeable than I. I would be cruising the Web for the cheapest piece of crap I could find.;) So what do y'all suggest, build one and with what upper and lower, or what complete gun that I can tweak?

You'll probably see some naysayers after me saying this, but I've had good luck with PSA. But that's the only AR, aside from Colt last year, under $1 grand that I have any experience with. My other AR costed well over 2 grand, so obviously I can't recommend that.

Any time Obummer opens his mouth, panic ensues.

He is the worlds #1 gun salesman after all. :rolleyes: Imagine the money the government got from gun manufacturers due to increased sales and production (to meet the sales) due to this guy.

The Black Magpul 6920 was fifty bucks cheeper where I bought mine.

But If I didn't buy Brown [FDE]. I couldn't have named it ''Little Turd'' now could I? ;)
That is true, lol.:p

BCM makes professional grade weapons, I would not hesitate to recommend them or own them, which I do. I am a quality weapon vs reasonable cost fan. Colt and BCM are excellent at both.
Thank you for the advice. I thinking of doing what Garg and yourself suggested, buy the colt and BCM upper to build on, maybe something for longer ranges.

Just to give you an idea of what a Colt should cost.
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

$1200-$1300 is panic buy BS
What's ironic is I wasn't planning on buying an ar yet. What kick started it for me was the whole stag thing. A buddy called me up and said stag was in trouble and if I wanted one I better get moving on it. What's the difference between OEM1 and OEM2? I like those actually. Those OEM where in the $1200 range too on gunbroker. Ain't that a kick in the rear.... Is that site you linked to a reputable place to buy guns from?

Any time Obummer opens his mouth, panic ensues.
Ain't that the truth, and if Hilary gets in we are so up a creek without a paddle...

I'm going to go ahead and say that though I'm answering to this, I am FAR from a Colt fan, in fact I have ARs I'd rather stick with over my Colt (one of which was cheaper, but the other was expensive). BUT... The point of not modifying a Colt is due to resale value. Say the handguard Colt came with was, for the point of this example, $100. You can add a $200 free float handguard to it, but you decrease the resale value. Don't bother with the a Colt if you're gonna modify it, just build one with quality parts or just get another AR with parts you want on there already. You never know if you will need to sell it or not, I had more guns before I got into college if that says anything.
I just have to ask, is that PSA you were talking about the cheaper one you would choose over the colt?

And your not a Weird AL fan are ya? I just ask because of your user name.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top