JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With an extended magazine it might be different result. With standard mags, when you have the slide locked back and slap that thing in there, you are transferring shock directly into the frame.

to clarify none of the 8rd 1911 mags are extended they are all flush fit like a GI spec 7rd mag. And when this happens, the operator is not the one locking the slide back, its the magazine (follower) on the last round fired....

to clarify none of the 8rd 1911 mags are extended they are all flush fit like a GI spec 7rd mag. And when this happens, the operator is not the one locking the slide back, its the magazine (follower) on the last round fired....
Well, there you go.

It certainly does not happen with my G34, P229 and CZP09 when slamming in an "empty" magazine.

I would be unhappy if it closed on a empty magazine, the hold open feature would not be working. Closing on a loaded magazine would work for me, but I am not a slammer. I have seen 'slammer' floor plates, but I never made the connection and just thought they were for competition.

Always happens on my CZ75-40. Don't recall whether it did or not when I had the CZ75 in 9mm.
Happened on all my HK's, especially liked it on my P7's. Doesn't happen on my Sig or Kimber.

My attitude: if I slap in a mag, I want it to return to battery.

I was trained to slam a mag during a reload AND to do a chamber check to maker sure it was in battery with a live round. I do not ever recall a slide closing on a mag smartly inserted with any amount of force in ether the Beretta's or the 1911's we were issued. I do have one of my 2011 builds that was doing this, it turned out that the mags were not setting all the way to get the slide stop fully engaged, I ended up having to trim a few thousandths off of the mags to cure the problem, and have not had it happen again.

Perhaps this is known already, but I was told many Semi-Auto handguns will automatically release the slide when a full magazine is slapped into the magwell...not gently inserted and locked, but with a bit of applied force. I tried it on the CZ P09 and yes, it releases the slide. :eek:

I didn't know this would happen because I never experienced it at the range. My guess is the Sig and Glock will end up doing it as well, but I'm going to wait unitl I can get some snap caps to test it out.

None of this happens with an empty mag though.

Live and learn...one more safety issue to pay attention to.:oops:
Perhaps this is known already, but I was told many Semi-Auto handguns will automatically release the slide when a full magazine is slapped into the magwell...not gently inserted and locked, but with a bit of applied force. I tried it on the CZ P09 and yes, it releases the slide. :eek:

I didn't know this would happen because I never experienced it at the range. My guess is the Sig and Glock will end up doing it as well, but I'm going to wait unitl I can get some snap caps to test it out.

None of this happens with an empty mag though.

Live and learn...one more safety issue to pay attention to.:oops:
There is a time, as well a place for this. Not when one does not intend to.

Where I worked prior to retiring I trained about 100 officers per month with a variety of handguns, and I've seen it happen occasionally with pretty much all handguns. When this happened the majority of times a round was chambered. But occasionally a round didn't chamber. I can't give you the specifics, but if I had to guess I would guess that 10 percent of the time a round did NOT chamber. If you are reloading in a gunfight I recommend to tap and rack the slide to ensure a round is chambered. Picture it this way: if you were about to get into a gunfight and I handed you a gun and told you that the magazine was full, and I am about 90% sure that a round is chambered, would you feel comfortable getting into that gunfight? Or would you want to ensure that a round was there, even if it meant cycling another round out?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top