JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps this is known already, but I was told many Semi-Auto handguns will automatically release the slide when a full magazine is slapped into the magwell...not gently inserted and locked, but with a bit of applied force. I tried it on the CZ P09 and yes, it releases the slide. :eek:

I didn't know this would happen because I never experienced it at the range. My guess is the Sig and Glock will end up doing it as well, but I'm going to wait unitl I can get some snap caps to test it out.

None of this happens with an empty mag though.

Live and learn...one more safety issue to pay attention to.:oops:

more like it can happen.

Usually the magazine might need adjusting if its a regular occurrence the slide stop should be fully engaged after the last round is fired.

I don't have any snap caps for my autos but I want to try it now. I think I just threw out all my old spent casings. Curious to see what happens. I know I've slammed mags into my glock before but don't recall ever having the slide automatically throw forward and chamber a round.. :confused:

There is a CZ forum posting about this on Facebook. Lot's of guys chiming in claiming their CZ and M&Ps do this.
For the time being I'm going to have to disagree the inertia drop is a "design feature" but rather something that happens or can happen with a loaded mag.

It certainly does not happen with my G34, P229 and CZP09 when slamming in an "empty" magazine.

It happens on Wifey's relatively CZ 75 9mm. You do have to smack the mag in pretty hard. It's still somewhat disconcerting. I don't know about my CZ 75 P01 Tactical though. It hasn't done it, though I don't think I smack the mag in that hard?

My M&P 9c (carry gun) does it all the time, but not every time. I asked about that at a class once, and was told it was something that will happen with some guns, but it sounds like it wasn't necessarily completely predictable. So, I know my gun can do it, so as I train with it, I simply assume each time I'll need to release/rack the slide myself, if I don't, it's just one lest move.

I've never experienced this with a Glock.

My GEN4 glock 22 will do it if I tap Mag with a good smack but I rented a M@P the other day at the range and it did it with every reload with a tap on Mag and one time it did it with out catching a round so had to rack the slide that's not good

I don't usually slam my mag's home. :confused: But I will now have to check and see if any of mine do this.

Thanks for the heads up 308.
I don't do it all the time but if I don't think it clicked in I will tap with my palm just to be sure but the M@P we where shooting did it all the time

Design feature or flaw? Never experienced this, but then again I'm usually not that aggressive with reloads. Now I'll need to do some testing to see if I can get any of mine to do this...

Has anyone gotten a 1911 to behave this way?

My HK's all do it. Don't have to slam in the mag, but use a little extra force and the slide will drop into battery every time. I believe it is designed to do so as it is works on all of my HK's. If it was a design failure, HK would have fixed it long ago.

My HK's all do it. Don't have to slam in the mag, but use a little extra force and the slide will drop into battery every time. I believe it is designed to do so as it is works on all of my HK's. If it was a design failure, HK would have fixed it long ago.

I don't think this is a design feature because it doesn't happen all the time and under normal insertion like administrative loading, HK would advertise that way if it was. I think its just the nature of the limitation of magazine designs, probably related to designing as many rounds as possible in the mag might have to use weaker springs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top