Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

i have this new gun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by chetterbob, Jul 13, 2012.

1. chetterbob

chetterbob parents live in christmas valley New Member

i just bought a winchester model 150 in 22lr i took it to the range and sot it at 50 yrds and it was all over the place.i brought it home and cleaned it and it was filthy.but i dont beleave that to be the problem.i removed the scope and plan to shhot it open sights with several diffrent ammos.if anyone out there has owned one of these before i was wondering how accurate they can be any feed back would be great

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Never owned one of those but get back to the range with open irons, on the bench with proper support and rests and start from scratch and see what it is doing. Stick to the basics, Fire 3 to 5 shot groups before you spot your shots to see what kind of consistency you are getting. Too many people fire one shot and make changes to sights or scope based on where that ONE shot hit and wind up chasing holes all over the target.

3. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

New gun as brand new or new to you?

dirty/fouled barrel can cause that, especially in .22 rifle. And check the barrel crown for any damage.

4. chetterbob

thanks going to shoot it tomarrow i will let you know how it goes

5. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

You can recrown your barrel yourself if it is ragged...makes a ton of difference.

6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Stick with one brand of ammo to start - I suggest Mini-Mags. Give the gun (and yourself) the benefit until you know what it is doing. Then you can compromise on the ammo.

7. chetterbob

how do you go about re-crowing your own barrel do you know a website that shows this thanks

8. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

If you have the proper tools check this write-up from Dinzag Arms. Some people rent those tools out or you can take it to a gunsmith and have them do it.

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Outside Ft Lewis East Gate Active Member

10. chetterbob

well took it otand shot at 50yrds groupsgood onl prolem now is it shoot about 3in low ot the back sight as low as it can go need to do sme eserch this problem a little tank fr the help

11. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Always move the rear sight in the direction you want to make the bullet go. Right, left, up or down. It's shooting too low? Raise the rear sight.

12. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

huh?

13. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    What RV said.
    What RV said a bit later.
    What Orygun said.

Then look at that scope and mounts with a critical eye (if you intend to put optics back on it). Don't go dinkin' with the crown if it shoots a group.
    Once you have it shooting well, and to point of aim, if you want the very best accuracy, you'll need to try various ammo to see what it likes. Mini-Mags are a good start (and that's what RV said).