JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suggest you take several pictures including overall views of the sides, top, and backstrap of the grip, and all markings. If it is numbered as a commercial model the last two digits of the serial number are stamped on the back side and under side of the small parts so you will have to field strip it to see them.

Register at these forums, post your pictures, and they'll tell you what it is. Both forums have subforums specifically for new people with questions:

New Collectors Forum - LugerForum Discussion Forums

New Collectors Board

Let us know what you find out.

I suggest you take several pictures including overall views of the sides, top, and backstrap of the grip, and all markings. If it is numbered as a commercial model the last two digits of the serial number are stamped on the back side and under side of the small parts so you will have to field strip it to see them.

Register at these forums, post your pictures, and they'll tell you what it is. Both forums have subforums specifically for new people with questions:

New Collectors Forum - LugerForum Discussion Forums

New Collectors Board

Let us know what you find out.

I count three parts that I can see on the outside that are marked with the last two digits of the serial number, including the rear of the toggle, locking lug, and side plate.

The grip frame has a lug for attachment of a shoulder stock and both magazines have wood end caps.

It also still has the take down tool.

20190119_113113.jpg 20190119_113145.jpg 20190119_113312.jpg 20190119_113451.jpg 20190119_113517.jpg 20190119_113533.jpg 20190119_113823.jpg

Last Edited:
Trying to date it. Four digit serial number with a "u" suffix. "Crown N" proof marks.

According to Pistole Parabellum Vol. II by Görtz and Sturgess, DWM started using the 4-digit serial number with letter suffix i through v for commercial production in 1921 through 1930. World War I production didn't reach the u suffix so I think this is a DWM commercial pistol made in the very late 1920s.

EDIT: Apparently most "commercial" pistols manufactured in the late 1920s were bought by German police and the small Weimar Republic military.

EDIT: Apparently the collector term for this type of Luger is "Alphabet Commercial". You can download a database of this type of Lugers at LugerForum Discussion Forums Go to the "Alphabet Commercial" page of the .pdf file.

There are threads about other Alphabet Commercial Lugers:
DWM Alphabet Commercial - LugerForum Discussion Forums
Help identifying luger p08 commercial - LugerForum Discussion Forums

Last Edited:
You could take some more pics and send them to https://www.thewarfront.com/ and they have enuf sources to tell. Lawrence or Drew.
If you take it to them in Milwaukie [open Wed thru Sat] after you get enuf of all their museum displays,
if that's even possible, walk across the parking lot and
get a B-17 burger from the Bomber Restaurant.:):)

There's something inherently fascinating with Lugers, no matter who made them or when.

Yes. Now I have to have one to keep my Walther company.

In talking further with my friend, it sounds like this was a bring back from WW2. Apparently there used to be paperwork with it but no one knows where it went. Too bad.

E

Yes. Now I have to have one to keep my Walther company.

In talking further with my friend, it sounds like this was a bring back from WW2. Apparently there used to be paperwork with it but no one knows where it went. Too bad.

E

Still one hell of a find. Beautiful damn pistol.May not have as much "collector value" but who the hell cares. Would be a ton of fun to have and be able to shoot.

Beautiful damn pistol.May not have as much "collector value" but who the hell cares.

Actually, it is all-matching, looks like it has the original finish, and it is in excellent condition so it has a lot of collector value. The holster adds value. I would not classify it as "shooter grade".

Actually, it is all-matching, looks like it has the original finish, and it is in excellent condition so it has a lot of collector value. The holster adds value. I would not classify it as "shooter grade".

Thank you for the research btw. It sounds like we have settled on a 1920s era commercial "alphabet" model.

I told my friend that if he got bored with it I would take it. It would pair well with my 1943 Wehrmacht marked Walther.

20181201_100420.jpg

E

Last Edited:
I'd still shoot it... and shoot my dad's all the time! His is from 1917 tho.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top