JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two Hundred plus AR15 builds and guess what? I still lose stuff! Gone With The Wind! Amazing hang times! Lost forever in the deep shag carpet which should never have been laid in the Man Cave! Yikes Indeed!

Can totally relate. Detents and carpets don't mix. My worst was replacing the rear sight adjustment screw to an older SW 686. The detent in those are tiny. When I failed to keep it from flying out and it hit the carpet I knew it was a lost cause looking. Lol.

And a simple fix to this is as follows:

Tap it with a 4-40 plug tap, trim .125 off the spring, purchase a 4-40 set screw from any hardware store, install set screw.
ar-15detentspringfix-001.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-002.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-003.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-004.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-005.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-006.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-007.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-008.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-009.jpg
ar-15detentspringfix-010.jpg

I think your beef with springs is not so much with the spring itself, but with Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant.

upload_2017-2-4_19-2-58.jpeg
Hooke's law states that the force needed to compress or extend a spring is directly proportional to the distance you stretch it. As an equation, Hooke's law can be represented as F = kx, where F is the force we apply, k is the spring constant, and x is the extension of the material (typically in meters)

I think your beef with springs is not so much with the spring itself, but with Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant.

View attachment 340295
Hooke's law states that the force needed to compress or extend a spring is directly proportional to the distance you stretch it. As an equation, Hooke's law can be represented as F = kx, where F is the force we apply, k is the spring constant, and x is the extension of the material (typically in meters)

I see what you did there.....
F=-K. I see it & raise you a few BP points & add much frustration!!!!!:p

@bsa1917hunter thanks! What's funny is I took these photos awhile back with my brother and posted them on fb. Oh they have made their rounds all over the interweb now. Every ar build website uses them I bet.
I should have watermarked them.

And a simple fix to this is as follows:

Tap it with a 4-40 plug tap, trim .125 off the spring, purchase a 4-40 set screw from any hardware store, install set screw.
View attachment 340280
View attachment 340281
View attachment 340282
View attachment 340283
View attachment 340284
View attachment 340285
View attachment 340286
View attachment 340287
View attachment 340288
View attachment 340289
Should make an endplate that caters to easy access to a screw. Something like an Allen head or something common. new product on your hands.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top