JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an early Interarms Walther PPK/S I took to the range for the first time last night. The recoil was BRUTAL, it felt like I was shooting .357 out of an LCP. 15 hours later the web of my hand is still bruised. When I was cleaning the gun afterward, I noticed the recoil spring was flat wound at both ends. This does not look like a Wolf replacement spring. Do you guys think it might be the original factory recoil spring? Once it got a little dirty it started to have some FTF issues, but only on the first round, when manually racking the slide. After that it cycled fine, although I noticed it threw some brass forward, which is unusual for a handgun. I am wondering if the recoil spring has become weak/tired. I had another blowback pistol (Makarov PM) a few years ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad.

I really want to keep this gun, so any tips/advice you can give me are greatly appreciated.

You can also find replacement springs through the S&W Performance center and aftermarket replacement options, some times through Sarco, and the standards Midway USA and Brownells!
I haven't looked, but Cylinder and Slide may also have options here as well!

My recoil isn't bad, but what do I know. My first outing, I succumbed to the proverbial "slide bite." Blood all over the place.
Interarms import circa 1974:
20190221_134855.jpg 20190221_134849.jpg

My recoil isn't bad, but what do I know. My first outing, I succumbed to the proverbial "slide bite." Blood all over the place.
Interarms import circa 1974:

Interesting. Our springs look different. Mine are flat wound at the tips, but round through the middle. I see the round spring has no trouble fitting in the recess. Yours looks like a Wolf spring.

Slide Bite:(:(:( is more a function of improper grip - you're gripping too high.^^^ It's Definitely NOT the fault in the Gun!:):):)
No doubt, and it was more bloody than painful as a reminder I was not gripping right. The other mistake I made was to grip it in a way that, while firing, my magazine would eject. Examined my grip and promptly resolved those two problems.
I've put >150 rounds through it since then with nary a problem.

Triggers are heavy also.
The DA pull is insane, and you have to pull so hard you have a hard time sensing where you are in the travel (IMO). The SA is not bad, though.

I bought mine because I love fixed barrel pistols, and like it so much it's in my EDC rotation - small and easily concealable. I disdain plastic autos, much prefer steel frames.

I really wanted to love my PPK as well...but never could. I always found it one of, if not the most, painful guns to shoot. Although I would still like to have it in my collection it may be the only gun that I have sold without (too many) regrets. Not against small guns; put plenty of rounds thought a S&W model 60, the architecture of that frame just did not work with me. Never got it to be reliable enough for EDC as well.

I have fired an Original WW-2 Walther that had not been messed with and it wasn't bad at all. Actually pretty light and that is what I use as a Benchmark when working on one. Good Luck finding a Pistolsmith.

A lot can be done about the DA pull with a proper replacement Spring, but it does take a Skilled Pistolsmith to get it Right and NOT too Light.:):):)

Um, Linda still has bad things to say about the PPKs you and Mikey C. recommended to her back in the day, says that her 9mm Shield and my Detonics are both more comfortable to shoot accurately. I acknowledge in the '70's and '80's the PPKs and HSC's were the cats meow however we have many superior choices now IMHO. Not to say Walther's can't be improved on by those that understand them.

EDZZ;

It's good to hear your voice again. I agree with what you said, too. There're many better options out there, but there isn't anything like the Original Version when it comes right down to it.:)

Even the Pocket 9 from Detonics felt betterbetter but, it had a Truly Terrible, Terrible Trigger Pull:mad::mad::mad: but, it sure felt good in the hand.:)

I have fired an Original WW-2 Walther that had not been messed with and it wasn't bad at all. Actually pretty light and that is what I use as a Benchmark when working on one. Good Luck finding a Pistolsmith.
No luck involved. @Velzey is only twenty miles east in Estacada, and I don't mind the wait for his work.
That said, I have no plans to modify my PPK/S as of yet.

My PPK/S is snappy, but I haven't found it unpleasant. As far as I know, it has factory springs in said.

Does your recoil spring look like this? See the ends have a flat wound surfaces, one parallel to muzzle (front) and and one that goes into the lug recess (flat on top). I've combed the web but I've not found another PPK recoil spring that looks like this.

I have ordered a new Wolf 20# spring set, which is the original factory setting. Once it comes in I'm going to test it out and see if there is any difference. I suspect I have the original spring, which has become tired and is allowing the slide to crash into my hand. Or, the previous owner monkeyed around with the gun to suit his/her taste. Maybe they were shooting reloads. Whatever the case, this gun is not acceptable to me as-is.

IMG_8695 (3).jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads