JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every time I think I'm going to finish my AR pistol, something goes wrong. I lost a spring transferring parts from a crappy lower to my new one, and never found the front take down pin spring. After ordering a new parts set I solved the problem. I then put on a cheap buffer tube...and that was a mistake (tube was too short and the bolt wouldn't lock back). Lesson learned, finally got a new set and happy with it. As I pull off the old buffer, I of course forget about the rear take down pin spring and it gets destroyed. Thinking I still had a spare from my recent repurchase, I reorganize all my gun stuff to find a spring, to no avail. On the plus side, I did find a box of .22! Any one got a spare spring?

I stock a replacement set of all the detents, springs, pins and other itty bits. If you are taking apart AR's on a regular basis it's just about mandatory.

Sounds like you need to buy a box of replacement springs. The springs I hate are the ones that are so small that they are hard to find if they fly out: Like the spring in the pre 64 model 70 bolt stop/release lever. When that sob flys out, good luck finding it and hopefully you don't put an eye out. :p Now you guys know why I keep my shop so clean!!!:mad:

when assembling, disassembling, do it inside a pillow case.
The last time I took the safety/decocker out of my 92 slide I did it inside of a 1 gallon plastic bag. Putting it back together I figured I'd be fine...NOPE, lost one of the detent springs for 3 hours but i found it eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to say, and I know I'm gonna jinx myself here....I haven't had an "oops" yet. But I'm only 5 deep in my AR builds. :D

Yes, I too have learned the valuable lesson about keeping spare parts around for an AR - springs, detents, roll pins, good idea to have them on hand.

Now I just need to get a spare 1911 recoil spring plug or two - still missing one after it launched across the garage recently :(

I have just one traditional AR lower , all my others are billets and use 4-40 capture screws for all the springs, even the bolt catch. No more punches and praying the roll pin does what it's suppose to do.....

I'll never go back to the standard mil-spec lower.

Take it completely apart and never worry about springs and detents flying across the room ;)

Two Hundred plus AR15 builds and guess what? I still lose stuff! Gone With The Wind! Amazing hang times! Lost forever in the deep shag carpet which should never have been laid in the Man Cave! Yikes Indeed!

Sossss .... what to do? Even I use a light duty clear plastic laundry dry cleaning type sack as a containment vessel. Keeps the flying parts springs and whatever in recovery range after they fly out of the build. Includes other guns.

Many of the major AR15 parts players sell what is called a "Armorer Kit" of the various small AR15 parts. A large assortment both to type and number. A very good $investment$ indeed. Also there is a learning curve doing builds.

You may never stop loosing parts. The loss rate can be reduced but not ended. The detents and springs require a nifty build technique. Part of the AR15 build fun and games process. Torquing up the barrel is the trickiest.

Respectfully. Hopes this helps. Time for my nap! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top