JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Standing water is the enemy.

If you 100% cannot remove it, there are measures that can be taken.

Some folks react to bites more than others. My wife has reaction to any big bites (There's a lotta critters that will gnaw/feed/bite you). I have very few. I get bit. But no side effects.

Alaska was miserable in June!!! My friends had to fog the entryway before going in, then us and the dogs too. Not fun!!

Here we have an abatement district. Beyond getting rid of stagnant water, we have fogging trucks and we spray the yard and the surrounding trees. It really keeps them down. But we still can't enjoy an evening on the deck or the porch w/o skeeter proof clothing.

I'm one of those that swell up with bites that itch intensely. Drives me crazy!!

Fish can eat immature life stages in some circumstances.

There's oil films that can be applied that prevent immature life stages from breathing.

Fogging works, as they are fairly soft to pesticide applications. But has very short residual window.

Killing things is usually more than a single product/concept. Multi pronged approach is almost always best.

The single biggest thing is water.

I have a fogger for the yard, but we are surrounded by agriculture with irrigation going 24/7, so it is a losing battle.

Seriously, I had no bites well into this summer and I thought maybe we had reached some global tipping point... until 3 weeks ago, and now I'm getting zapped 3-4 times every evening on my walks. Tonight it'll be weights inside instead.

The garlic thing never seemed to help me much. I cook with it a lot, but I'm a veritable 'skeeter magnet. In fact, that's why I get invited to so many parties, where everyone keeps their distance.

We all know about standing water as a breeding ground for the hellish pests. I routinely check my yard to make sure none has collected anywhere. We got a little splash of rain here the other day. My gutters are clear and dry - are yours? Other places that might be overlooked include stuff like un-mounted snow tires under the back porch, kayaks/canoes/boats, flower pot dribble trays, collected runoff from sprinklers, toys, and... I hate to say it, water bowls for pets.

NOTHING pisses me off worse than settling into bed at night and hearing a mosquito dive bombing my ear! Has anyone here tried one of those indoor electronic mosquito killers?
Maybe like this?

Last Edited:
I got these in Minnesota visiting relatives near Wilma, late 60's. They had little tags on them that read "Minnesota skeeter traps"
IMGP0366.JPG
You can see the blood on the right one:eek::p

We have a pond with goldfish and they have helped a huge amount. The pond is a 1/2 of a wine barrel we soaked for a while to seal it up and get the alcohol out but 6 years so far and we rarely get bitten in our yard.

Start looking for Tansy along the road, ditches or fields, make tied bunches of it and hang it around. If you don't have cattle or horses just transplant some. It makes a good repellent for more than just the skeeters too.

Start looking for Tansy along the road, ditches or fields, make tied bunches of it and hang it around. If you don't have cattle or horses just transplant some. It makes a good repellent for more than just the skeeters too.

Tansy is an evasive species and the county will make you remove if it gets out of control, plus as you mentioned es no bueno around livestock, which I image is why they make you kill it. I have a buddy that was ticketed a couple times over it.

Tansy is an evasive species and the county will make you remove if it gets out of control, plus as you mentioned es no bueno around livestock, which I image is why they make you kill it. I have a buddy that was ticketed a couple times over it.
Must be that county never heard of them making anyone around here remove it as a mandatory thing.

When my daughter gets a mosquito bite it swells the size of a baseball!! Plant .things like sage, peppermint, lemongrass, Rosemary and even marigolds will keep them away. When my daughter goes camping with her dad I send her with -what her dad calls witchcraft- sage bundles to burn in the fire and keep in her tent. We bring them to the ball field for late softball games too! They work!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top