JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wear a protective helmet at all times so they think I already have zika and lave me alone.

True story, one time ol' deef ( @Certaindeaf ) took off his "foosball hemet" and went skeeter-muffs only.... whoa!!

7C5C50E0-20D7-4E1A-8D09-B0B54B6AA62C.gif

Not really... :s0140:

My optimistic thoughts that this might be a good year all disintegrated abruptly a few weeks ago.

"Skin divers" abound, and now I'm sporting a dozen bites that I find myself scratching unconsciously all day and night, even in my sleep. I spray them with generic aloe burn relief with lidocaine, which seems to help for an hour so, but eventually I'm clawing at them again like I have scabies or impetigo or something.

What are you guys and gals using on bites?

I had a pet mosquito once. Taught her to bite thinking she would keep the riff-raff away. I searched for and kept all the used band-aids I could find. She liked them. I named her "Fang".

I've used ammonia dabbed on with a cotton ball. It changes your skins PH in the area of the bite counteracting the mosquito saliva that's causing the itching. It works for most bug bites. Best if its on a fresh bite and it does sting a bit if the skins broken.

Bat boxes. Each bat eats thousands of the little bubblegumers every night.
I was getting eaten up outside earlier this year by mosquitos and then all of a sudden I'm seeing hardly any. Talking to a neighbor outside the other night she said "I thought that bat was going to hit you". Starting looking and there was probably 15-20 bats flying around snagging mosquitos and other bugs. Yeah this is great! Next day somebody in Salem gets rabies from a bat. :(

I've used ammonia dabbed on with a cotton ball. It changes your skins PH in the area of the bite counteracting the mosquito saliva that's causing the itching. It works for most bug bites. Best if its on a fresh bite and it does sting a bit if the skins broken.
Ammonia works pretty good. I got a bite stick down in Mexico after being bit about 200x....it was at night and I thought it was the salt water making me itch. After that we could all tell who the n00bs to the resort were with all their bites on display around the pool.

To me, that little medicine sting is welcome reassurance that whatever I'm using is actually in the bite and not just sitting atop the skin around it.

I ended up trying a Benadryl Itch Relief Stick. About the size/shape of a small magic marker, I can take it with me in a pocket. Unlike spray or lotion, it goes exactly right on the bite, and seems to work for an hour or two.

Bastiges are extra nasty this year.

When I lived in the midwest and spent time in @tac 's Ontario neck of the woods, I was an all-you-can-eat buffet for mosquitoes.
They don't bother me anymore. People around me are surprised, and I say, "I'm a bitter, old man."
Perhaps it's the IPA or garlic. Love both.
More likely scenario: suspect it's an autoimmune disease I have that keeps them uninterested.

i dont mess around. i use sawyer jungle juice 98% DEET and spray my clothes with permethrin.
Thanks - will try that. Ticks LOVE me. Can you get it locally somewhere OTHER than REI ?
Dryer Sheets... A couple wiped over your outer wear will keep most of them at bay. Then stuff the sheet in your pocket... It works !
That does work well for the gnats up on Mt Hood.
Campho-phenique
When they're really bad, I dab clove oil on my kid's bite wounds. Stings for a second, numbs it for a few hours. Then apply Caladryl or something that soothes the area.

Will have to try that on my kids when they suffer. Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top