JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing you gotta remember also is that, like a child, a dog will test your resolve big time. It's one thing to visit them but when you live with one it's a little different. Digging up the yard, scratching at your door at 2am, barking at random stuff, not to mention if they start cr*pping and peeing all over the place even when 'trained'. They're not dumb and will take things out on you and your stuff if unhappy or pent up too much. They can do things you'd never think of until you see it.

Like mentioned above, instead of 'I hate dogs' it needs to be 'I love dogs' because you really do need to love them to forgive them all the stuff they put you through and still treat them right, just like a child.

Why does everyone insist that a man loves dogs? I don't particularly care for dogs. So what? Sweet merciful krap. Why must everyone be forced into a "pigeon hole"? You hate it when it is asked of you. Why do you insist that he agrees with you? (The shoe is on the other foot).

Our girl Sheba was the best dog ever. ( I know everyone says that about their dog ...:D)
She was around two or three what we adopted her.
After some training and lots of patience she really found her place in our home.
She went on walks with her kitties , liked kids and was a all around great dog.

On the other hand we tried to adopt a three year old pit mix ...
That damn dog murdered one of our cats.
The dog came from a unruly home and had no training.

So I guess you can get luckily and have a wonderful dog or a horror story.
Even with the best of intentions and training sometimes a dog just isn't a family dog.

I will not have another pit or pit mix in my house.
I get that there are good dogs of the pit mix out there ... But I don't trust them.
Also not saying that no one should own one ... Just that I won't.
Andy

Why does everyone insist that a man loves dogs? I don't particularly care for dogs. So what? Sweet merciful krap. Why must everyone be forced into a "pigeon hole"? You hate it when it is asked of you. Why do you insist that he agrees with you? (The shoe is on the other foot).

I don't think anyone's suggesting that he must loves dogs just pointing out the fact he admits to hating them. It helps to be a dog lover if you're thinking about living w/one. If you don't like dogs, don't get one, pretty simple, you'll both be better off.

If you're not truly committed to this animal, work to find it another home. And for the love of god, understand that it's a LIFETIME commitment through jobs, relationships, marriage, divorce, kids, moves, etc....whatever life throws at you. If you don't have that level of commitment to this animal, find it another home. Having the dog bond to you and then you dumping it when life gets a little crazy, is an incredibly crappy thing to do.

Further, if your plan is to go off to work every day for 8-10 hours a day, while the dog is home alone, and then you come home and feed it and not do anything with it, find it another home. Dogs should not be left alone 8-10 hours a day, five days a week. And this isn't to say that a lot of people do exactly this. But it's incredibly selfish. The dog deserves a much better life than that.

And lastly, it's a Pit. It needs a strong alpha and TRAINING! There are lots of resources for good trainers out there. But if you're not committed to investing the time to train it, find it another home. It isn't just a matter of paying someone else to train it. You need to learn how to handle the dog too. So you're going to have to invest at least some time working with it. this means putting in some time with the dog every day. It can be 30 minutes per day...but it needs to be every day for awhile until the training takes. And there may be some maintenance after that. It just depends on the dog.

To be perfectly blunt and honest, it sounds like this dog has already had one crappy owner...your sister. And while you seem to have a little fondness for this animal...you don't seem truly committed to it. It doesn't need crappy owner #2. Probably best to find it a good home with somebody who truly wants him.

Well said.

If you are not or cannot be totally committed to the dog, let someone else take it. It is better for both you and the dog.

I could never have another dog. (I don't like/want to deal with the mess, smell, barking, maintenance, expense and commitment to a dog).

I just scanned through posts, so didn't read every word.

Envision this:
You're getting tired of a clean fresh smelling home, nice furniture and beautiful clean carpets. These new vacuums ALL say how good at picking up pet hair they are, so you have that going for you.. The back yard grass looks a little too nice, might be better if there was a dirt trail all around the fence line. I bet you can figure out something along the lines of croquet perhaps?...Using the holes in various places and the yellow dead spots? Since you have so much time it will be nice to go around picking up turds, and the filing of the holes around the back yard will provide you with the extra exercise we all need! And that could be a daily routine if you're lucky. When the fence gets undermined/disassembled you'll get more of that exercise, and maybe learn fence building/carpentry. You can look forward to getting closer to your neighbors, if you aren't already. They probably love dogs and will consider it a treat to have one for their kids/pets/stock to play with if the dog happens to find it's way under the fence to visit them! Not to mention the beautiful music dogs can make when they are lonely/bored!

Nice to visit the vet every couple of months, to find what's impacting the dogs bowels. Several pieces of a tennis ball? A T-shirt? Half of your $165.99 pair of Nikes?? :eek:

That's probably the best of what you can have as a dog owner. Just hope it doesn't chew some kids face off if it get's loose.

I'm just having some fun, and remembering some of the "Pleasures" I've seen over the years that dog ownership "Might" bring. :D

Last Edited:
Yea... it was kind of a novel idea, but I think I'll pass. I'm newly single and free after 13+ years of indenture - last bubbleguming thing I should do is resaddle myself with another demanding carbon based life form. Even if he'd likely be more reasonable than the ex.

Thanks for the experiences and insight gents.

If you decide to open up and get a dog, this is my advice. Either get a puppy so you can train it or have it trained in your ways, or adopt or purchase a older dog you like. Not just how it acts, but also how it obeys commands, if it gets distracted from the command by a squirrel or something, etc. If you do decide to get a dog, Black-mouthed curs are great dogs. They are loyal, strong, don't shed a lot, and are obedient if properly trained. They can also be trained well by the owner. My aunt has one and I would rather have that dog than an infinite bank account.

I just scanned through posts, so didn't read every word.

Envision this:
You're getting tired of a clean fresh smelling home, nice furniture and beautiful clean carpets. These new vacuums ALL say how good at picking up pet hair they are, so you have that going for you.. The back yard grass looks a little too nice, might be better if there was a dirt trail all around the fence line. I bet you can figure out something along the lines of croquet perhaps?...Using the holes in various places and the yellow dead spots? Since you have so much time it will be nice to go around picking up turds, and the filing of the holes around the back yard will provide you with the extra exercise we all need! And that could be a daily routine if you're lucky. When the fence gets undermined/disassembled you'll get more of that exercise, and maybe learn fence building/carpentry. You can look forward to getting closer to your neighbors, if you aren't already. They probably love dogs and will consider it a treat to have one for their kids/pets/stock to play with if the dog happens to find it's way under the fence to visit them! Not to mention the beautiful music dogs can make when they are lonely/bored!

Nice to visit the vet every couple of months, to find what's impacting the dogs bowels. Several pieces of a tennis ball? A T-shirt? Half of your $165.99 pair of Nikes?? :eek:

That's probably the best of what you can have as a dog owner. Just hope it doesn't chew some kids face off if it get's loose.

I'm just having some fun, and remembering some of the "Pleasures" I've seen over the years that dog ownership "Might" bring. :D
@Mikej your writing borders on genius sometimes!!:p

Some of y'all have had a lot worse experiences then I've ever had with my dogs.

Ive had a Rot/lab that was about as perfect as a dog can get - and I was home and not working for a few months during the summer and our kid was 3 so I made absolutely sure that she wouldn't take action if her food was picked up or a bone taken away from her. Only down side was she'd shed like crazy and it was a never ending battle to keep the place clean.

Wife had to have what I used to call kick me dogs as I never saw the use of small dogs so we got a Lhasa that ultimately bonded pretty tight to me. Use to take him with me to work and he has hair not fur so other then a trip to the groomers he is pretty low maintenance - slightly more now that he is 13 but still an easy dog to care for.

Neighbors had a litter of sh!tzu pups and one bonded to my wife before she could walk. One of the sweetest and loving dogs one could ask for (also hair and no fur). High energy and a freak in the car but she was awesome.

Other then that I've had a chow-Samoan mix that would sleep on my bed as a teen. She also was a sweetheart. Shed a lot though.

I have friends that came home to find the arse end of their dog poking out of their leather couch and stuffing everywhere as well as another friend who walked out of a store to find his dog ripping the appolstry off a rear bench seat.

@Mikej your writing borders on genius sometimes!!:p

Why thank you! I got nothin' going compared to others around here fore sure.

I have friends that came home to find the arse end of their dog poking out of their leather couch and stuffing everywhere

Funny, as long as it's not ME! We actually knew a nice couple, that had TWO Samoyed's, that came home to the armrests of there couch ALL OVER the living room after a day at work.

I've had one dog in my life. One of the mechanics at the motor cycle shop I worked in had a litter of papered dobermans. I got one for free, had the girls ears done, and we made her a member of the family. Fully trained, did not need a leash unless rules stated that as she came to heel no matter what. Having to take her in, I should say the wife had to, take her in and have her put down at 14 years old is the reason I'LL never own a dog again. I never understood how people can go out and get another dog right away? Oh well though, good for them I guess.

WEll now that you have heard from everyone else;)

My .02 is this. You have been given a ton of good advice. I would think long and hard on the subject. If you choose to take the little fella my guess is you will become a dog person and find your best friend. Because really who in the hell doesn't love a loyal, unconditionally loving dog who will give you everything if you give it a food, water, exercise, compassion and 75% of your time.

I mean really they don't care if you make good money or if the cabinets contrast with the floors which is more than I can say for some women :D

WEll now that you have heard from everyone else;)

My .02 is this. You have been given a ton of good advice. I would think long and hard on the subject. If you choose to take the little fella my guess is you will become a dog person and find your best friend. Because really who in the hell doesn't love a loyal, unconditionally loving dog who will give you everything if you give it a food, water, exercise, compassion and 75% of your time.

I mean really they don't care if you make good money or if the cabinets contrast with the floors which is more than I can say for some women :D

That's a bit presumptuous. I live in a house where "the dog runs his female owner". This isn't good. The dog acts spoiled and gets its way until the owner's boyfriend puts the dog in its place and it settles down. In the meantime, I have to tolerate unwanted barking.

Not everyone is automatically a "dog person" no matter how you may personally feel.

If you're not truly committed to this animal, work to find it another home. And for the love of god, understand that it's a LIFETIME commitment through jobs, relationships, marriage, divorce, kids, moves, etc....whatever life throws at you. If you don't have that level of commitment to this animal, find it another home. Having the dog bond to you and then you dumping it when life gets a little crazy, is an incredibly crappy thing to do.

Further, if your plan is to go off to work every day for 8-10 hours a day, while the dog is home alone, and then you come home and feed it and not do anything with it, find it another home. Dogs should not be left alone 8-10 hours a day, five days a week. And this isn't to say that a lot of people do exactly this. But it's incredibly selfish. The dog deserves a much better life than that.

This is why I don't have a dog - yet. It isn't fair to the dog. I spend at least ten hours a day away from home and there is nothing I can do about that until I retire, which may be when I finally get a dog.

Everybody tells me I need a dog, but everybody I know that has one also has a family that is home much of the time to be with the dog - I don't and probably never will.

Dogs are social animals and very much need social interaction on a regular basis.

This is why I don't have a dog - yet. It isn't fair to the dog. I spend at least ten hours a day away from home and there is nothing I can do about that until I retire, which may be when I finally get a dog.

Everybody tells me I need a dog, but everybody I know that has one also has a family that is home much of the time to be with the dog - I don't and probably never will.

Dogs are social animals and very much need social interaction on a regular basis.

Good on you for recognizing this!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads