JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With rare exceptions dogs are just creatures of the people who own them. A lot like children. A LOT of people who choose to have a dog should never have one but, often for some reason known only to them and physiologists, they get one after another.
Now when people take in a dog someone else has ruined? That can be a challenge. Often best left to only those who make it a full time commitment. The almost eerier bond these Wolf decedents have with humans is something many in the "science world" have never been able to fully explain.
This is why when one of our's dies we buy another puppy. Yes it's great that the world is full of dogs needing a home but, I am not willing to adopt one someone has made a mess of for the short life they have. Mine get better care than I allow myself and are not bred so I can live with that choice.

A lot of people shouldn't have dogs. Same for some people and kids!
Yeah, my parents shouldn't have had kids...

Well, maybe they just shouldn't have been so unlucky as to have had me, the Demon Spawn... :s0087:

:s0111:

So did you get a cat? Because what you needed was a cat. Not gonna read through 6 pages of a 3 year old thread to find out

With rare exceptions dogs are just creatures of the people who own them. A lot like children. A LOT of people who choose to have a dog should never have one but, often for some reason known only to them and physiologists, they get one after another.
Now when people take in a dog someone else has ruined? That can be a challenge. Often best left to only those who make it a full time commitment. The almost eerier bond these Wolf decedents have with humans is something many in the "science world" have never been able to fully explain.
This is why when one of our's dies we buy another puppy. Yes it's great that the world is full of dogs needing a home but, I am not willing to adopt one someone has made a mess of for the short life they have. Mine get better care than I allow myself and are not bred so I can live with that choice.

A 3 month old papered Doberman came to me. A litter of four or so were brought into the shop by one of the other mechanics and one of them came to ME. She was free, with papers. Got here ears done and she was with us for 13 years. Worst thing in my life watching her get to the age falling apart and need putting down. I've neve been able to wrap my brain around how people can just go get another and do it all over again. To each their own, and all that.

I've neve been able to wrap my brain around how people can just go get another and do it all over again. To each their own, and all that.
I'm not a dog person, but I do enjoy having a cat around the house, especially if they're a good mouser.
That being said, for me, it's always taken a few years between losing one and having one come into my life.
I don't go out and seek a replacement. Rather, a new one just "magically" shows up at the right time...

I'm not a dog person, but I do enjoy having a cat around the house, especially if they're a good mouser.
That being said, for me, it's always taken a few years between losing one and having one come into my life.
I don't go out and seek a replacement. Rather, a new one just "magically" shows up at the right time...

Yeah that's how I am. With a cat anyway. Last cat just came to us, 4 wks old, sick, wormy, flea infested, weighing a fraction of what he should. $89.00 fixed him up, and he was the coolest cat. Didn't like people much. If you teased/mimicked him when he was POed he'd attack your feet. Full claws and teeth. His "Childhood" illness left him with neurological problems and vision in only one eye. Had him ten years before he started falling down. I want another cat, but I don't want him to be just a "Normal" cat. :s0112:

Yup, both of my previous cats ended up costing thou$and$ of dollar$ and loads of time in their later years.
Trango with his rotted teeth when he first showed up, and then his eventual chronic renal failure which necessitated me giving him an IV 3x/day and special food.
Phydeaux with his cat scratch fever in one eye, subsequent eye removal, and eventual cataract and blindness in his remaining eye.
Not eager to know what will befall Charli in her future. I've had her almost 5 years now, and she was just over a year old when she came into my life.

A 3 month old papered Doberman came to me. A litter of four or so were brought into the shop by one of the other mechanics and one of them came to ME. She was free, with papers. Got here ears done and she was with us for 13 years. Worst thing in my life watching her get to the age falling apart and need putting down. I've neve been able to wrap my brain around how people can just go get another and do it all over again. To each their own, and all that.
It is VERY hard for "dog people" when one grows old and dies because they live such a short life and bond so hard to us. When I had to put Wife's last dog down she at first said she did not want another. It did not take long till she wanted one though. I made it clear when mine was at that point I wanted another. It's been over a year and I still miss him every day but waking up to the new one who thinks I am her entire world makes it easier. The only time I have ever seen my Father in Law cry was when he had to put down the dog he had, had for about a dozen years. He at first said no more but, about a year later changed his mind too. He is over 90 now so this time we talked him into a small dog that can't pull him off his feet or trip him. He has had it a little over a year now and his face lights up interacting with the dog who of course is bonded to him now. He has money and as long as I have known him I have joked about his animals won the lotto when he takes one in. This one will most likely of course be his last as this one will most likely outlive him for a change :(

i did not adopt that dog... my mother did, and shes an idiot and the dog has made her chaotic ridiculous life just more chaotic and ridiculous... how she hasnt been sued over the dog yet i dont know.

then my sister adopted a small dog... some little terrier thing.. he was smaller, so slightly easier to deal with by that alone.. but was still a goddamn nightmare.

weird thing is, it was the same thing w me and that dog - he only minded me. he'd be absolutely ape bubblegum crying and yapping and jumping on everyone, and my sister would scream at him, lock him in the bathroom, tie him to a table leg... he NEVER calmed down.. whined and yapped constantly for hours and hours and hours... nothing you said or did had any effect on his behavior, other than to make it worse

but when id tell him to calm down, he would.. not perfectly, but it was remarkable how he'd sit still when i told him to, be mostly quiet, and lie on the floor behind my feet when i was over

once again.... i seriously considered adopting him.. man i was close.. i honestly think, in retrospect, my desire to adopt these dogs came down to narcissism - *i* was the only one with __________ (whatever it was) and capable of taming these beasts...

uhg. no. im so glad i didnt take either of them. i can totally see the appeal of having a dog.. in the last couple years ive seen what really special creatures they are. we have bred them into little facsimiles of ourselves, reflections of ourselves.. weve bred human emotion and other human traits into them, and they truly seem to be made of the best of what we are... unconditionally loving, unconditionally forgiving, loyal, protective, empathetic, giving.. amazing, wonderful creatures.

i dont "hate" dogs anymore at all, but i still dont want one. maybe someday, when im done galavanting the globe and living life completely selfishly and have land and time and some heart to give.

thanks to all who recommended against. not everyone ought to have a dog - probably most people.
One must train their self in order to train a dog. It sounds like your sister should've got some training this time around also.

Thanks for the beautiful German Shepherd pictures in this thread!

They brought back beautiful memories and made me happy!

Cate

Some people should Not have pets or children.

There is nothing wrong with people who make a decision to not have a pet.

There is nothing wrong with people who decide not to have children too.

I am a 'dog' person but I ONLY LIKE specific breeds of dogs or specific mixes of dogs if I know their genetic history.

I am not allergic to dog fur.

I LIKE most but NOT ALL dogs and, in fact, I LIKE dogs more than a LOT of people too!

That includes Brats and Whiners that you see in some adults, including politicians, and some spoiled children and punk teens who were brought up by people who should NOT have had children or their children TURNED OUT BADLY no matter how HARD they tried to bring them up properly!

Old Lady Cate who does not have a puppy or a dog now.

Train you dogs well and it's like having a larger family. It takes time, but it can be worth it during the holidays.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top