JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A person needs to understand how a dog thinks and how the world is organized in their view. They are part of a pack, and the pack is governed by an alpha male and omega female. If the dog is allowed to be either instead of the human being either, then the problems start.

We lost 2 of our best friends in the last year and a half. They were 13 and 15 years old and part of our lives for all that time. One rode with me in my Freightliner, sitting up in the passenger seat virtually every minute.

We have three grand dogs. A female German Shepard and 2 male Black labs. I was a baby sitter for all three at one point or another. They all were trained to voice command, hand signals and proper leash behavior. They know if they screw up, they are going to be on their back with my hand holding them to the ground. But that seldom happens, the Shepard ignored a command from my son, and he gently scolded her, she went submissive over on her back, he held her there for a minute and it was all over in a few seconds, lesson learned. They all understand that any human is dominant to them and that includes all the grand kids, the 2 year old can grab their toy they will get submissive , and they give it up and go find something else.

If the kids are going to be gone for more than 4 hours, I go over and play with the dogs or take them with me. Properly trained you can leave dogs at home for extended periods and they will not touch a thing.

A dog will read your vibe before you do. You cannot hide the " I hate dogs" attitude. I have seen what a good dog can do for PTSD sufferers. These animals are so in touch with human feelings you cannot hide anything from them, so don't even try.

Last Edited:
Easily. I have yet to be around a dog that wasn't so labor intensive that it monopolized my free time. They are eating, shedding, yapping, high-maintenance, pain-in-the-neck.

No thanks.
Fair enough.. But do you have a wife?... ;)

..Because I say that same thing, but about having a girlfriend or wife.
Id much rather have a dog for social companionship, my left or right hand for dates, money in my bank account and my own personal time to do with what and how I please.. Which is most likely shooting, weight lifting... or taking my right or left hand out for dates.

Dogs are awesome though. However Id understand a disposition if a childhood attack via dog (or something similar) happened.. That would probably turn me away from dogs too.

Id much rather have a dog for social companionship, my left or right hand for dates, money in my bank account and my own personal time to do with what and how I please.. Which is most likely shooting, weight lifting... or taking my right or left hand out for dates.

Dogs are awesome though. However Id understand a disposition if a childhood attack via dog (or something similar) happened.. That would probably turn me away from dogs too.

Nope, she has been gone for almost six years (June 11th). Nope, no dogs, no women, no problems that come with them. I can travel without making reservations for another person. I don't need to board out a dog. Life is easier this way.

I will not marry a sixth time. I like it this way.

Listen. I don't need some animal to come lick my face and pi$$ and $#!t on my carpet and require me to take them out in the rain. Sell your "companionship" snake oil to someone else.

I certainly admire you dog owners that would never be without one! UNLESS you're the type that don't train the hair bags! The type that bring them in the grocery store, that allow them to bark incessantly while you try to converse, don't pick their crap up off my lawns, ESPECIALLY let them bark at the neighbor every time the neighbor steps out of their door :mad:, etc, etc, etc!

Did the dog thing and it was too painful/too much work to do it again. I don't even want a cat at this point, (love cats), because it's too hard to find someone, or a place $$$, to board the poor thing when I want to leave for awhile.

I like dogs, as others have said, they are generally a good companion that loves mostly unconditionally. But they are a responsibility I am not will to take on right now.

Besides, I get to play with the neighbor dogs from time to time.

Explain to me the need for something that ties me to a house, needs thrice daily care, walking outside so that I can pick up feces, the expense of food, veterinarian bills and the bereavement of its passing.
I don't need the frustration, angst, and problems associated with the furry beasts.
They can wake you up before someone throttles you in your sleep.

Explain to me the need for something that ties me to a house, needs thrice daily care, walking outside so that I can pick up feces, the expense of food, veterinarian bills and the bereavement of its passing.
I don't need the frustration, angst, and problems associated with the furry beasts.
haha. Well, to each their own. Dogs are awesome.

Aw geeze Joe! Were not even really bashing dogs, especially Pits yet, and here you go and bring in The "How gentle and wonderful pit bulls are" video!

Quick! Someone find this weeks "Pit bull attacks child" story and get it up here! :eek:

I understand some breeds might have statistically higher propensity for different dispositions, but these animals have all been domesticated for thousands and thousands of years... are the odds that a given pitbull is more likely to be vicious even calculable?

Some of the most vicious dogs I've seen are those little ankle biters. A friends Chihuahua can't even be looked at in the face or he gets all uppity never mind trying to touch it. My mom's husband had a Yorkie that would try and take your hand off if you let it get that close. I think some people think it's cute when a little dog gets all aggro and won't discipline them for it. I've had little dogs and big dogs and will say that little dogs get away w/a lot of stuff a big dog never would. People tend to treat them differently, a little dog is like a toy whereas a big dog is a serious dog that needs serious training. I tend to be the same way. When I had hounds we also had a Pom. The Pom lived in the house on moms lap, the hounds lived in their kennel and weren't allowed in the house. The hounds had to obey the rules at all times, the Pom got away w/murder. Dogs are just way different too though, what works for one may not work for another. Some dogs expect to work and live for it others just want to play all day. Some are mischievous, some are uber well mannered, some love everyone while others distrust anyone but master.

I totally get not wanting a dog. I could dwell on all the negative stuff but since I want dogs I just except what comes with them. They are a pain in the arse a lot of times and everything that Capt O said is true. More people should just admit to themselves that dogs or pets in general aren't a good idea for them. No one said 'everyone needs a pet' it would save a lot of grief all the way around.

I have family members that are self-professing dog lovers and have dogs

And they really seem to hate having dogs. Such a pain in the bubblegum

Aw geeze Joe! Were not even really bashing dogs, especially Pits yet, and here you go and bring in The "How gentle and wonderful pit bulls are" video!

Quick! Someone find this weeks "Pit bull attacks child" story and get it up here! :eek:

That's funny lol. I had just watched this the othe night and I thought about this thread:p.

I don't do dogs licking my face though. While I'm not in the pits are bad pets group, I do think most of them are ugly. This one has some personality from what could see in 58 seconds though:cool:

I don't do dogs licking my face though.

I am totally repulsed when I see people let dogs do that ^^. :s0170:Can't believe they would put their faces on their dogs genitalia and rectum. :s0064: Cause that's where those dogs put their tongues! Of course we all know they only do it because they don't have hands with fingers.:s0155:

18195030_1466179253456137_1128981323938877715_n.jpg

Look, it's no secret I love dogs. Would life be easier without them, sure, but I love dogs so much, that the work it is to keep them, train them, etc.. is worth it to me. My wife and I rescued a dog, shortly after, about 6 months, my wife was diagnosed with a horrible disease. If I had known then what I found out, I would probably not have adopted another dog. But I made a commitment to that little beast to give her a forever home, and dammit that's what I am going to do. :)

She gives back the love we give her in spades.

15697985_10208209615024400_7222037820400525105_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads