JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been safe shopping for an entire week. I started out thinking I could get a basic 20 gun, 30 minute, 500 lb. safe for $500. Boy was I wrong! I've quickly learned that I need to double my budget for an entry level safe. So fine... $1,000 it is! Now it becomes a game of "what's the best 20 gun safe I can get for $1,000."

I've been literally everywhere:

Big Box Stores
  • Dicks - you can spend $1,000 here, but it's no-name crap and they don't deliver.
  • Fisherman's Marine - decent "gun brand" safes, but overpriced for what they are (e.g. Browning for $1,100) and delivery consists of the sales clerk handing you a card for a 3rd party company who I'm told charges $200 - $300. Fail!
  • Coastal Farm - Nicest safes I've seen at a big box store: Freedom Security (by Liberty), but $1,000 get's you an ugly Chinese model... you need $1,700 to get a decent American made safe. Same 3rd party delivery routine. Do I really need to double my budget again to $2,000??

Local Gun Shops
  • NW Armory - Love this store, but safes are not their niche... $1,100 for a Winchester (which, like the Browning, is obviously just a Chinese safe in disguise). Not sure about delivery, but I'm sure it's not included.
  • MK Tactical - Don't sell safes, but they refer me to an independent guy in Troutdale who quotes me $700 + delivery for a basic, no-name, black safe. I'm not paying $1,000 delivered for a generic Chinese safe I've never seen before.

Safe Stores
  • Fort Knox - This guy is classic. The showroom is by appt. only. So I call to make said appt. In a rather abrupt and rude manner, I'm told that he only has 1 safe in the showroom, the rest are in storage by the Expo Center (apparently he keeps them there an only really shows them at the gun shows). "Okay..." I think to myself. "I took the afternoon off work for this???"
  • Liberty - Once again, by appt. only. So I get an appointment but it's not for a 3 hours. So I kill time, then eventually head all the way down to Hubbard. On the phone I'm assured there are plenty of safes in stock, incl. the model I asked about (Revere 20 which is priced at $1,089 delivered). Upon arrival, I immediately notice alcohol on salesman's breath. Then I get a 45 minute lesson on why Liberty safes rule... I finally get down to brass tacks... can I get the Revere 20 (which I'm looking at) delivered to my coat closet? He tells me $70 extra to take it from front door to the closet (1st floor, maybe 20 feet away). So I cave, say I'm willing to pay the price (still seems better than paying $1,000 + for the other junk I've seen). Only then does he tell me, "You can't have that safe." When I ask why, he gives me two answers, 1) It's "in the process" of being sold, then the story changes to, 2) It's the floor model and I can't sell it. So I'm told I have to wait 3 weeks. I press and say, "I want that one. I'm ready to pay." He hems and haws and still says no, sort of (doesn't seem real sure of himself). I can't believe this! I drove an hour for this!! I'm standing in a safe warehouse, full of safes. I have my credit card out. I'm ready to go. And this guy can't close me! Would you believe this guy let me walk out w/out taking my money? He seems confused as to whether the safe I want is available or not so I tell him to figure it our and call me tomorrow. I wonder if he'll call. Probably not.
  • Tracker - While I know these are Chinese, and not particularly attractive, I'm liking the prices listed on their web page. I called several times today before driving to Vancouver, but no answer. I don't leave a message. Why should I? I'm tired of begging people to show me product and make a sale.

Any ideas guys... I've never been so frustrated.

I have tried Costco. The store is hit and miss... usually no safes. I'd rather not buy from Costco.com. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a safe before I buy it. They are not easy to return.

And yes, I've seen that video. It's posted in every single safe thread on this forum.

Must be a Portland thing, plenty of safes around here and at Costco. You may want to up the budget a little also. I paid $1000 for a Cannon 36 executive vault around 12 yrs ago and with the price of fuel for shipping nowadays, a grand aint buying much.

So you want to trust $20,000 or so of guns in a bargain safe? Go to Rogue Safe in Medford. Pay a lot, wait 8 weeks for exactly what you ordered, an heirloom that will last forever. Yes, they will deliver. Check them out on line.

FWIW - I bought from the Liberty guy and was very happy with their delivery & installation. While it was not up/down stairs it was a tough & fairly long delivery from the driveway to its final destination. I would buy from him again...FYI only had to wait 2 weeks for mine.

I also bought my safe at Liberty Safes of Oregon and they were awesome. Who did you speak to? I would call the owner to see if he can make things right with you.
Here are the contact details:

Kirk Thole <[email protected]>
Liberty Safe Platinum Dealer
Liberty Safe Outlet LLC
503-638-2004

BTW, Coastal Farm and Ranch -- just up the street from Liberty Safes of Oregon -- also has Liberty safes; others too.

Last Edited:
I have tried Costco. The store is hit and miss... usually no safes. I'd rather not buy from Costco.com. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a safe before I buy it. They are not easy to return.

And yes, I've seen that video. It's posted in every single safe thread on this forum.

They have a traveling road show, call and ask when/where. I just bought a 52 gun Ranger Deluxe @ $1500 plus $450 upstairs delivery from a safe mover.. 950 lbs + stuff is a lot harder to steal than a light safe. BTW if you buy a safe in WA it's sales tax free

Like I said in my original post... I tried to buy a Liberty safe that was in stock. The guy wouldn't sell it to me, but couldn't really give me a clear reason why. Since he seemed so frazzled, I specifically asked him to figure out if he could sell me that safe or not and call me the next day. I even wrote my name, number, and Liberty safe model on his notepad.

Well, it's been THREE days... and still NO call from Liberty. What a surprise. Like I wrote in the title of this thread... business must be SOOOO good that they allow eager customers leave w/out paying, then fail to follow-up with a simple phone call.

So you want to trust $20,000 or so of guns in a bargain safe? Go to Rogue Safe in Medford. Pay a lot, wait 8 weeks for exactly what you ordered, an heirloom that will last forever. Yes, they will deliver. Check them out on line.

Who said I have $20,000 in guns?? And what makes Rogue the best, in your mind?

I'm very willing to look, but not willing to drive to Medford. Do they have a local dealer in Portland where I can see some of their models?

I had to call Sportco (Costco supplier) because they are so backlogged. But they handed the safe over to the movers on time. The issue is delivery, they are likely swamped, too

you might check out wilco they have liberty fatboy safes at a decent price and if you wait and watch the ad's they even have a 10 to 20% off sale once in a while

I bought a Stack-On 24 gun safe from Sports Authority for $429.00 over a year and one half ago. It was on sale plus there was a 20% coupon on any purchase running at the same time. They really weren't supposed to honor the 20% off coupon along with the sales price, they did because I had called ahead and asked if it was applicable and they said yes and I got the persons name. They probably did not make any money or even lost money on this sale to me. Since then I try to at least compare prices of what they are selling and give them a shot at my money. Got my 20 something son, son in law and a couple of their friends to help me get the safe home and put where I wanted it. Not a one of them are under 6 ft and 275(I am 62yo, 5'9' and 170) so it wasn't so hard for them. $20.00 a piece and a case of beer and a pizza afterwards is a cheap moving fee. I am under no illusions that it is the greatest safe on the planet but for an under $7500.00 gun collection is is mainly to deter the smash and grab crowd and my grandchildren. I have it bolted to the floor and have it wedged on the sides. Everything at home is insured and I have a safe deposit box for the other valuables.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top