JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They were "tag-teaming" and got their vehicles mixed up.
Kinda nutty trying to hand off a freeway speeder to a bicycle cop !

ETA:
They must have thought that they had quite the trap set up.
Catch the running-late, going-downtown speeders with a bicycle cop !
Must be how they think in "Bike Town".

What if you headed Northbound ?
I wonder what the plan was for that ?
:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Not sure how your average speed helps much in court. It's not your top speed, it's your average.

It's average speed over 30 seconds. In the example I did, he was in the parking area of a strip mall and while we don't know the instantaneous speed of any one of those seconds, we know it is physically impossible for him to have hit 30 mph in that 45 ft of that travel distance and also gone slowly enough to get the average down to 1 mph over the entire 45' distance. It'll be pretty decent and certainly enough to raise reasonable doubt.

Yes you are correct. When I drive on that stretch of road, I know when the 50 mph zone is, so as I'm approaching it, I step off the gas or turn my crouse control off and coast. Sometimes I'll downshift from 6 to 5th gear. And if needed, I'll tap the brake.

Again, doing what I just explained, yeah possible I was a bit over 50 but under 55.

When I went back and drove the same way, reenacting the way I drove that night, I was between a hair over 50 but under 55. As I coasted further down, I was picking up speed as I was reaching that final exit before the tunnel.... goose hollow I believe, so I tapped on the brake.
If I was going 75, I would have been moving! And I would have had to really focus because going into the tunnel at 75, that would be very unsafe and probably scare the heck out of me.
I know, but you said you backed off for the change at the zoo ramp where it changes - the zoo ramp is ~half way down the hill, a long way past the speed zone change. And you're right, it doesn't explain the speed they reportedly clocked you at, just wanted to let you know for future where the limit change is.

They were "tag-teaming" and got their vehicles mixed up.
Kinda nutty trying to hand off a freeway speeder to a bicycle cop !

ETA:
They must have thought that they had quite the trap set up.
Catch the running-late, going-downtown speeders with a bicycle cop !
Must be how they think in "Bike Town".

What if you headed Northbound ?
I wonder what the plan was for that ?
:rolleyes:

7713629658_9d73534744.jpg

Quite a bit faster than a 6 banger mustang.

Don't know how it works in Oregon but a lot of the traffic laws have been rewritten in Washington to the end affect that the cop is presumed correct and you have to prove your innocence. Unless you sopoena the officer he's not required to show and his notes can be used to convict you. Even though you can prove your innocence or misapplication of the law doesn't mean the District Cort will not side with the officer and convict you based upon what he wrote. Instead of being an unbiased party, some judges will argue the facts acting as if the are cop, prosecutor and judge. During this blatant disregard for the rule of law, your only recourse is to appeal to Superior Court which costs time and Money. I successfully challenged the local kangaroo Cort they were running in a local jurisdiction and that court received a written decree telling them to cease and desist from their illegal activity. BTW several years ago, after the Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway crime sprees the legislature passed a law forbidding the use of unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. This hasn't stopped them from using them. Someone I know challenged a judge regarding being pulled over wrongfully and the judge just ignored him in spite of him citing the code and number. The judge refused to address it saying that unless he had the RCW's in a legal volume in front of him to place in evidence she would not address his concern and she promptly convicted him. Justification for probable successful appeal.... Maybe!? This person had already spent more money fighting a ticket by taking a day off work and decided it wasn't worth throwing good money after bad. The courts count on that. It's a shAme that the amount of Justice someone receives is sometime based upon the thickness of their wallet. You shouldn't have to hire an attorney and spend tons of money to get heard and receive a fair judgement. I usually just pay the fine... Especially when I was speeding. The 2 times I didn't was on principal, and although I was successful on those occasions it cost me a lot more money and aggravation than the cost of the ticket.

Looks like a ZX14, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, electronically speed limited to 186 mph stock, though maybe the police have uncorked versions.

I figured it was one of the two. I've not paid much attention to bikes lately.
Regardless of ZX-14 or 'Busa, no one's outrunning them in a straight line. LOL.

It was mentioned that if you cast enough reasonable doubt there is but one option left.

If the glove don't fit..

... The judge refused to address it saying that unless he had the RCW's in a legal volume in front of him to place in evidence she would not address his concern and she promptly convicted him. ...

Either the judge was insanely wrong or there was a misunderstanding regarding what the judge meant. Statutes aren't evidence, they're the law the judge must apply and there's no mechanism for admitting those as evidence because the idea doesn't make any sense. Evidence is a fancy word for "facts" and laws are never facts, they're the rules against which you compare the facts.

I'll have to see how much it will cost to get a lawyer.
If I'm guilty and the ticket sticks, I have the money to pay. As far as points on my insurance, what? 2 points? Can't imagine that would raise my insurance much. Last insurance payment was $665 or so for 6 months. By the time I renew again in probably 3 months, the ticket won't even show, renewal after that, I'd have to report the ticket. My first appearance is in mid August.

Why is your auto insurance so high?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top