JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sense we talking Heath food here you go IMG_1940.jpg

Just wait another three days. You've only seen the warmup.

This is a nice discussion. Knowledgable people and no a$$hattery yet. If things get slow we could switch to discussing what is the best motor oil, or whether a rifle barrel needs to be broken in yet :)

My understanding is that it costs way more money to fight bugs and weeds organically on the large scale required in big agriculture to feed the country...

We don't fight the bugs. The trick is to use varieties that thrive in your conditions and grow the healthiest plants you can. We can't plant the same lettuce seed all over the country and expect optimal results. Healthy plants resist pests to a large degree. Just like healthy people resist infections.

Part of that is because farmers aren't growing locally adjusted (heirloom) crops varieties. Another part is because they farm monoculture - aka - one crop per plot with bare ground for weeds to sprout & grow.

Using poly-culture (planting multiple varieties together) with ground cover stops most of the need for expensive fertilizers and pesticides, chemical or organic. This also requires less water to reach harvest, often using ZERO irrigation, even in semi-arid regions and can sustain high seasonal rains without flooding due to high organic soil content and natural aeration from micro and macro organisms.

It still requires a large labor force to harvest, but if the production and sales are streamlined the costs should be equal to current organic prices.

My farm is participating in an Oregon State University dry farming trial. We are growing tomatoes, potatoes, squash, melons, and some other stuff without any irrigation. All the plant gets is what's in the soil and what falls on the ground. It's amazing what you can grow that way.

Im not knowledgable about this to have anymore than an opinion, so i will take your word for it. But that makes me wonder then why isnt there a movement to go back to organic agriculture?

There is! It's huge. It's amazing to see all the conventional farmers coming to the conventions looking for information on how they can transition to organic. It's the past becoming the future.

At this time though, I dont see how its possible we could ever see a 99cent loaf of organic Wonder bread. Im skeptical organic prices could ever come down to a point we could feed 318million 3 squares a day..

This is why the globalists are working hard to reduce the world population. I grow some of the same certified organic wheat that goes into Dave's Killer Bread. Last time I sold some I got $.46 a pound for the wheat berries. If it was a two pound loaf that would be $.92 just for the wheat that goes into a loaf of bread. To make a 99 cent loaf of bread you have to use crap ingredients. 99 cent bread does not good health make.

Sometimes its just fun to chat about stuff, but I like the fact the forum is wide open to anyone so you get to see many different perspectives on things and often learn more about a subject than you ever will talking with just your personal inner circle of friends.

This is fun and I've learned some things!

Handpicking bugs out of fields of lettuce unhurt to set them free and expecting one guy to hand pick a 10,000 acre crop of cucs fast enough, just won't cut it.

So true. We need mechanized harvest to produce efficiently. The retail cost of organics is coming down pretty rapidly with so many big conventional farmers transitioning to organic. They bring capital, equipment, and knowledge of large scale production to the organic field.

As for pests and diseases;;; one of the keys to plant health and people health is getting all of the trace minerals and other nutrients that the organism needs to be truly healthy. Here's an example: When I did soil nutrient testing on my fields, they came up short of many trace minerals. Looking at the test results I'm short of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Potassium, and Selenium. This is the result of over 100 years of cutting off hay, feeding it somewhere else, and only adding Nitrogen and Phosphorous. What happens is that the crop will still grow if there's enough water and Nitrogen, but it won't necessarily thrive nor be pest resistant. Humans are the same way.

What I'm working to do is to rebuild the soil health and ensure that all those nutrients are there for the plants to take up as needed. This... is how nutrient dense food is created and that's the food that humans need to be healthy. Eat 99 cent wonder bread and plan on spending lots more money at the doctor. And feel like bubblegum :)

It's not cheap in the short term but long term it sure is. For example I've spent about $1500 on medical expenses in the last 20 years and I'm almost 60. That's about $75 a year and most of it was on checkups.

I prefer Winco myself. There are certain days and times that I try to avoid as it makes my blood pressure go up when I see all of the welfare Mommas using 3 or 4 Oregon Trail cards to buy cart loads of junk food, so I shop in the morning before they get out of bed and usually there's just me and some older folks that worked all of their lives and pay cash for the bare necessities.

Am I the only poor SOB here who shops at WINCO to help make ends meet? :(

I love Winco. I've come to feel perfectly at home there when I'm shopping. The only issue I have with Winco is the fact they don't carry regular pork. All their pork is injected with the sodium solution.

I prefer Winco myself. There are certain days and times that I try to avoid as it makes my blood pressure go up when I see all of the welfare Mommas using 3 or 4 Oregon Trail cards to buy cart loads of junk food, so I shop in the morning before they get out of bed and usually there's just me and some older folks that worked all of their lives and pay cash for the bare necessities.

I shop at the one on NE 122nd and I swear I don't see as much junk food in the carts as I did when I shopped at my local Albertsons. I love Winco too because they have a huge Hispanic food section. It's priced good and always fresh.

I was there a couple of days ago found that I could buy frozen goat chunks! Who woulda' thunk?

Am I the only poor SOB here who shops at WINCO to help make ends meet? :(
Nope like I said above I don't even know where the closest whole foods is to my house I'm not picky bout where my food comes from the cheaper the better I have a problem with fresh food if I buy salad and or produce I have to eat it that day because of my job I can't buy bulk produce because it will be bad by the time I get home so I buy 1 tomato or 3 Apple or this and that witch makes it really hard to eat healthy because spend lots of time on the road yes I do take food with me but only a small lunch box so unless I want to go shopping Evey time I come home it's frozen food lol

Nope like I said above I don't even know where the closest whole foods is to my house I'm not picky bout where my food comes from the cheaper the better I have a problem with fresh food if I buy salad and or produce I have to eat it that day because of my job I can't buy bulk produce because it will be bad by the time I get home so I buy 1 tomato or 3 Apple or this and that witch makes it really hard to eat healthy because spend lots of time on the road yes I do take food with me but only a small lunch box so unless I want to go shopping Evey time I come home it's frozen food lol

That's sucks

I like both for different reasons. Winco is relentless about getting costs down. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. We all know about the good and think it's same-same, and sometimes it is. Here is a true example of pricing of Delicious apples the exact same time of the year last year (from memory):

New Seasons Apples $1.58 a lb

Winco Apples - .68/lb

Winco apples grown in China. New Seasons apples - Washington. New Seasons is paying farmers more for their apples than Winco is. They both taste pretty darned good. It's all about choices.

Winco apples grown in China. New Seasons apples - Washington. New Seasons is paying farmers more for their apples than Winco is. They both taste pretty darned good. It's all about choices.

Are you sure Winco gets apples from China? I don't buy apples so I don't know if they have "Grown in China" signs. I would think with the many thousands of pounds, (tons?) that are grown in the Northwest, and elsewhere in the US that we wouldn't have a market for outside apples.

I'm going today, I'll check and see what the boxes say.

You're soon to have an awesome new choice in apples. Cosmic Crisp is the first GMO apple to be approved for sale. The purpose in creating it was to eliminate the browning once an apple is sliced. Good for the "sell it already sliced" trade.

It's the Twinkie of apples! :confused:

They don't spray a ton of chemicals on Chinese apples like they do in the NW, instead they place a plastic bag over each and every one during the growing season and the only chemicals applied is a product called "SmartFresh" when they're packed for storage.
They also don't coat the fruit with wax like they do here.

You're soon to have an awesome new choice in apples. Cosmic Crisp is the first GMO apple to be approved for sale. The purpose in creating it was to eliminate the browning once an apple is sliced. Good for the "sell it already sliced" trade.

Simplot Co. just got the go ahead to use three more GMO potatos (Russet Burbank, Ranger Russet, and Atlantic). Just more reasons to buy organic.

Hmm apple Twinkies...keeps the doctor away & calls for a doctor all with the same bites...wonder what happens if you deep fat frie them?

Why? Is there some danger present in GMO vegetables? Are there less nutrients or something? Is there some evidence that GMO is less than safe to consume?

I'm truly curious.

A lot of what I've seen before was in videos I saw awhile ago, and don't have saved unfortunately. But here's a few articles.

Over 800 world scientists agree: GM crops are nothing short of a bio-war on our food

GMOs vs. vital cellular functions: This is how Monsanto can kill you

Not safe to eat: Rats fed lifetime of GMO corn grow horrifying tumors, die very early
http://www.gmo.news/2016-04-19-not-...rn-grow-horrifying-tumors-die-very-early.html
And they could potentially be invasive.

Say what? GMO wheat found in Oregon
http://www.newhope.com/food-amp-beverage/say-what-gmo-wheat-found-oregon
There is a lot of debate if GMO's are safe or not, I personally am convinced they're not.

Hi Mikej: I didn't say all Winco apples are grown in China. In that instance, the full box was marked "China". If you go there today, I would guess that they have 6 different types of apples. I have no idea where they came from. And they also have an Organic section which may (or may not) also have apples. My point is that the difference between $1.58 a lb and .68 a lb may be more than the price. In fact, my old buddy Reese moved up to Wenachthee to be a lawer. He noted that the apple spraying was causing a high cancer rate in children. I'm not even telling you China apples are worse than Washington apples. But it is what it is.

As far as why GMO corn is so bad, a quick google search will also tell you why. They dump craploads of round-up on it. I personally use round up, its great stuff and it has it's place, but dumping the bubblegum all over food our children are eating is not one of those. For sure and I don't care a crap what a Monsanto funded study says otherwise. You'll all see I'm right about avoiding it where ever possible in @ 30 years or so.

However, potatos, I suspect I'm better off with eating the GMO potato's and welcome their arrival as I've read good things, however, there are things like this: The Good, Bad and Ugly about GMOs - Natural Revolution
Makes ya shake.

Lots of misinformation out there even (or especially) from our own government, so it's hard to tell with certainty. Here's another link: EPA and FDA give go ahead for 3 types of GMO potatoes… planting begins this year – NaturalNews.com

My thoughts are that it's better to be safe than sorry or as Cortes so capably notes upthread: "Certified Organic". You pays yer money, you makes yer choices, you takes yer chances. Nuff said from me on this.

Part of my issue is if a farm is using GMO seeds owned by Monsanto and it infects a neighboring farm, then that farm is now under Monsantos thumb as well because it's patented.

Monsanto is a pretty shady company imo.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR