JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Mikej: I didn't say all Winco apples are grown in China. In that instance, the full box was marked "China". If you go there today, I would guess that they have 6 different types of apples. I have no idea where they came from. And they also have an Organic section which may (or may not) also have apples. My point is that the difference between $1.58 a lb and .68 a lb may be more than the price. In fact, my old buddy Reese moved up to Wenachthee to be a lawer. He noted that the apple spraying was causing a high cancer rate in children. I'm not even telling you China apples are worse than Washington apples. But it is what it is.

As far as why GMO corn is so bad, a quick google search will also tell you why. They dump craploads of round-up on it. I personally use round up, its great stuff and it has it's place, but dumping the bubblegum all over food our children are eating is not one of those. For sure and I don't care a crap what a Monsanto funded study says otherwise. You'll all see I'm right about avoiding it where ever possible in @ 30 years or so.

However, potatos, I suspect I'm better off with eating the GMO potato's and welcome their arrival as I've read good things, however, there are things like this: The Good, Bad and Ugly about GMOs - Natural Revolution
Makes ya shake.

Lots of misinformation out there even (or especially) from our own government, so it's hard to tell with certainty. Here's another link: EPA and FDA give go ahead for 3 types of GMO potatoes… planting begins this year – NaturalNews.com

My thoughts are that it's better to be safe than sorry or as Cortes so capably notes upthread: "Certified Organic". You pays yer money, you makes yer choices, you takes yer chances. Nuff said from me on this.

I thank you for going through the effort to get those sites. My problem is I'm not sure a person can trust either side? Would our FDA really allow GMO IF it is as bad as some say? After reading some of the link presented it looks like Wifey and I don't consume a bunch of GMO stuff. We don't do much processed food, or oils that are made from GMO products. I still won't go pure organic though.

My problem is I'm not sure a person can trust either side? Would our FDA really allow GMO IF it is as bad as some say?
Trouble with trusting the gummint is a certain number of people (or animals) have to die before they change directions.
They used to spray DDT directly onto people and of course there's Agent Orange.
Next one could be Roundup.....won't know for a few more years.

We have an unfortunate affinity to take our best farmland and build housing, factories and retail space on it making it even more critical that we get everything out of our more marginal farmland that is left after housing and other developments are built on the best farmland. A real good local example is the Tualatin Valley. From the West Hills of Portland to the eastern slopes of the Cascades it is a very fertile farmland area that saved the California Gold Rush miners from starvation. It was since Oregon was first settled a premiere agricultural area. What did we do with this bountiful natural resource, we have paved and built houses and factories over some of the best farmland in Oregon and making it home to more than twice the population of the entire state of Oregon in 1950. All these people need to be fed off of increasingly marginal farmland so they do what they can to try and feed the hordes. This has been happening on a national and international basis and we If we used agricultural methods the organic crowd favors there is no way they could feed the increasing worlds population with the increasingly marginal farmlands left. The worlds population has doubled in my lifetime with no increase in cultivable land. Just my take on the situation.

We have an unfortunate affinity to take our best farmland and build housing, factories and retail space on it making it even more critical that we get everything out of our more marginal farmland that is left after housing and other developments are built on the best farmland. A real good local example is the Tualatin Valley. From the West Hills of Portland to the eastern slopes of the Cascades it is a very fertile farmland area that saved the California Gold Rush miners from starvation. It was since Oregon was first settled a premiere agricultural area. What did we do with this bountiful natural resource, we have paved and built houses and factories over some of the best farmland in Oregon and making it home to more than twice the population of the entire state of Oregon in 1950. All these people need to be fed off of increasingly marginal farmland so they do what they can to try and feed the hordes. This has been happening on a national and international basis and we If we used agricultural methods the organic crowd favors there is no way they could feed the increasing worlds population with the increasingly marginal farmlands left. The worlds population has doubled in my lifetime with no increase in cultivable land. Just my take on the situation.

Yup. Reminds me of that movie "Interstellar"... future where crop blight/disease/overpopulation and the only viable crop on the entire planet is corn, and that is failing...

I thank you for going through the effort to get those sites. My problem is I'm not sure a person can trust either side? Would our FDA really allow GMO IF it is as bad as some say? After reading some of the link presented it looks like Wifey and I don't consume a bunch of GMO stuff. We don't do much processed food, or oils that are made from GMO products. I still won't go pure organic though.

Common Mike, these are the same nitwits that make our gun laws and everything else wrong with the US.

Even the FDA is out to line their pockets like every other branch of the guys that make these arbitrary rules without really knowing Jack about what they are talking about...o_O

I drive Marine Drive frequently and all that wonderful soil deposited from 1000s of years is being covered with concrete. i don't get it?

I generally feel more comfortable shopping at (bubblegum)Whole Foods. Yup, feel right at home there for some reason.

Lemme guess? You wear a bun? :eek: :s0140: :s0030:

I like shopping at Bimart it makes me feel so young. The average age of shoppers in there has to be in the 60's. Going through the checkout is a lesson is patients building 101. Been shopping the same store since about 1977 and still often times the youngest one in line.

I know. All of us old people waiting in line to buy our Depends and Geritol. And then we have the nerve to actually pay in cash, grinding the line to a halt, totally confusing the youngster at the cash register that doesn't know how to make change...

All the old people should just be lined up.

WAYNO.

I know. All of us old people waiting in line to buy our Depends and Geritol. And then we have the nerve to actually pay in cash, grinding the line to a halt, totally confusing the youngster at the cash register that doesn't know how to make change...

WAYNO.
lol if only....:confused: One of the few places in nature where you can still see a check book in it's natural habitat.. Now tell me if i'm wrong. The elderly lady sits leaning against the counter as the other elderly lady rings up her items. Once all of the items are bagged the checker says alright that will be $xxx.xx. Customer then says OK and begins to look for her checkbook. Because having it ready to go would just make too much sense.
Now i say this in jest but I ask you....who hasn't seen it?o_O

They don't spray a ton of chemicals on Chinese apples like they do in the NW, instead they place a plastic bag over each and every one during the growing season and the only chemicals applied is a product called "SmartFresh" when they're packed for storage.
They also don't coat the fruit with wax like they do here.

I'd did research on the "wax" a few years ago... The info I found said it was something like polymerized pig cartilage. Goes on everything from apples to zucchini. There was a video where this lady brought home some lettuce & was peeling the coating off the leaves. Sounds like nasty stuff that shouldn't be eaten.

Edit:

From the Fruit Waxing wiki page: The waxing materials used depend to some extent on regulations in the country of production and/or export; both natural waxes (sugar-cane,carnauba, shellac, or resin)[3] or petroleum-based waxes (usually proprietary formulae)[2] are used. Wax may be applied in a volatile petroleum-based solvent but is now more commonly applied via a water-based emulsion.[4]

I'd did research on the "wax" a few years ago... The info I found said it was something like polymerized pig cartilage. Goes on everything from apples to zucchini. There was a video where this lady brought home some lettuce & was peeling the coating off the leaves. Sounds like nasty stuff that shouldn't be eaten.

Edit:

From the Fruit Waxing wiki page: The waxing materials used depend to some extent on regulations in the country of production and/or export; both natural waxes (sugar-cane,carnauba, shellac, or resin)[3] or petroleum-based waxes (usually proprietary formulae)[2] are used. Wax may be applied in a volatile petroleum-based solvent but is now more commonly applied via a water-based emulsion.[4]

Gotta scrub and wash that stuff off or peel the fruit.

At least we do.

The FDA is not a food safety organization, they are a regulation racket to squash small time businesses and farms. Laws are written by private/public cross over execs who get big cushy jobs after writing bills that pass. Those bills are designed to kill small business and favor multinationals.

FDA, EPA, BLM, Federal Reserve, Affordable Care act, no bid military contracts, etc. giving the most control to the few, richest and most powerful people and groups.

Common Mike, these are the same nitwits that make our gun laws and everything else wrong with the US.

Even the FDA is out to line their pockets like every other branch of the guys that make these arbitrary rules without really knowing Jack about what they are talking about...o_O

Thinking they are ignorant is underestimating them, and has proven to be dangerous for everyone who's not of the controlling class.

WAYNO.

At the soylent green line?

I admit a weakness for Trader Joes, especially the cheese section.
:s0062:

Trader Joe's, yup good stuff. And some really freakin good hard to finds.

...we've taken to Costco shopping for a while now. If you haven't been, or used to but haven't been back in a long while (for whatever reason), you should revisit them or take a walk through some time.

Great cheese values in particular, obviously not small niche based ones, but again you'd be surprised at what they do carry & the value/lb. Best if you have a foodsaver or similar, a large family, or eat a LOT of cheese...

Trader Joe's, yup good stuff. And some really freakin good hard to finds.

...we've taken to Costco shopping for a while now. If you haven't been, or used to but haven't been back in a long while (for whatever reason), you should revisit them or take a walk through some time.

Great cheese values in particular, obviously not small niche based ones, but again you'd be surprised at what they do carry & the value/lb. Best if you have a foodsaver or similar, a large family, or eat a LOT of cheese...

Been a Costco members for years. I'm a shameless food cart raider

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads