JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously. This store makes Whole Foods look like a thrift store.

Almost every single one of their damn items are INSANELY overpriced.
Here are some examples:
organic flour New Seasons - $6-10
Same item at whole foods - $5-7
Organic peanut butter $6-$10
Whole Foods - $4-7
The same goes for every single one of their products.. Whole foods is AT-LEAST $2-4 cheaper than new seasons.
Can someone explain to me how in the blue hell are these people even in business???? Whole Foods is cheaper, but New Seasons is opening more stores??? Did they somehow use mind control technology to trick the masses into shopping at their store?
I feel like Im living in the Twilight Zone.

I'm a little late to the party here but;;;

New Seasons is in business and successful because they are delivering products people want at a price they are willing to pay.

That said, I agree with you, the prices are very high. What is particulary frustrating for me as a farmer, is that New Seasons sells the same certified organic Orca Beans that I grow and get paid $1.10 a pound for $5.59 a pound. I have my own packaging line and can put them in nearly identical packages to what Bob's Red Mill does for far far less. Someone's making money and it's not the farmers.

Oh, and you want organic flour? I can do that for $4.00 a pound :)

Hipsters love the 'Organic' label which is BS. I call Whole foods= Whole paycheck!
New Seasons does have the best sourdough bread.o_O

I call them Whole Paycheck too and buy a lot of groceries there, whatever I can't grow. I've got to call you on saying organic is BS. I used to feel the same way, grew up on a farm and my dad never met a chemical he didn't like. Now he has had Leukemia for about 12 years. He's almost 90 and yes he's lived a long time but he hasn't enjoyed it. Living long and being sick and getting chemo treatments is no picnic. It's awful.

The organic certification process is very rigorous and the food is truly safer. I call them the organic police and they are up every farmer's bubblegum with a flashlight. You can trust that USDA organic seal on the label.

Here's an example of why organic is important. Most conventional bean farmers spray Roundup (Glyphosate) or similar chemicals on the beans before harvest to kill them and make them easier to harvest. They call it dessicating. It dries the plant out so it can be direct cut with a combine like wheat instead of having to swath the beans and let them dry on the ground for a week before combining. The way roundup works is that the poison is drawn into the plant and kills the roots. You can't convince me that it isn't drawn into the beans too. In fact there is a government standard for how much glyphosate is allowable in food and it does accumulate in humans. There's some real horror stories from Argentina about how sick some of the rural people are from it.

My friends make the Columbia River Sourdough they carry so I was just curios. It doesn't say gluten free on it but my mom is highly sensitive and she can eat that bread but basically gluten free with everything else.

There's a difference in the sourdough fermentation process from regular yeast breat that affects the gluten. There are also heritage and ancient grains like I grow that have much less or no effect on gluten sensitive people. If they are Celiac then it doesn't matter, any trace of gluten is bad. I think that with the modern industrial wheat breeding and industrial food processing we have made "food" that lasts a long time on the shelf and contributes to all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities. Eat it as close to the condition it came out of the ground as you can.

It is for people who are willing to pay $5 more because it has ORGANIC printed on it.

Totally worth it to me and a growing number of others. We pay too little for our food and it is impossible to produce quality food at a Winco price.

I don't know how my father lived to be 90! Born in 1920, WWII '45-'47 . He ate food, all foods. Fatty pork chops cooked well due to trichinosis, smoked for 25 years, ate gluten! Non organic! All sorts of chemicals and pesticides that weren't banned yet! Liked scotch! Spent tons of time in the sun! In the end, blood clots from the legs due to inactivity from a back issue took him! Yeah I know, if it wasn't for all that stuff he would have lived to 120!

I think there's a lot of hype involved with all the organic/natural thing. Lots of money being made buy some people on it though. I'd rather croak quickly tomorrow than live to 90 spending the last 1 year in a bed anyway!

It's the whole living until 90 but being miserable and sick thing that would suck. Organic food may not make you live a lot longer but it will very likely make you feel much better while you are alive. How many older people do you know that are sick and go to the doctor all the time? One of my mentors is a pioneer organic farmer in the Roseburg area. He's in his 90s and is still out there in the field every day working his tail off and loving it. He feels good, is mentally sharp. So there's an anecdote of organically induced good health for ya!

this is a good point, maybe I was wrong to say the jury is still out on the health advantages of organic/natural foods.

I have a friend whos mostly vegetarian and totally into the organics. We were talking about it one day and I said I couldn't afford to buy all my food natural. He said if there is one thing you do for my children (who are still developing...) is buy them organic milk. He said the pesticides and herbicides in the non organic feed (which is unnatural to a cows natural diet) goes straight thru into the milk and that it affects childrens development and part of the problem with all the higher rates of health issues we have today, that didn't seem to be there 50 years ago.

I didn't "fact check" his claims.... it just made sense to me. So I buy organic milk for my kids even though it costs twice as much (even at New Seasons) but its just one grocery item so its not that bad.

Has anyone heard of the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen? It's a list of produce that you should not eat anything that is not organic and a list of things that are pretty safe to eat conventionally farmed. The lists are a way to help manage the budget and be able to afford the clean foods your family really needs.

"The fruits and vegetables on "The Dirty Dozen" list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the "dirty" list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. "The Dirty Dozen" list includes:"

celery
peaches
strawberries
apples
domestic blueberries
nectarines
sweet bell peppers
spinach, kale and collard greens
cherries
potatoes
imported grapes
lettuce

"All the produce on "The Clean 15" bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:"

onions
avocados
sweet corn
pineapples
mango
sweet peas
asparagus
kiwi fruit
cabbage
eggplant
cantaloupe
watermelon
grapefruit
sweet potatoes
sweet onions

It's certainly your choice whether you eat organic or not. An informed choice is a nice thing to have.

Certified Organic is ~not hype, and the "Naturally Grown" label is meaningless.

The ONLY thing i buy from there is organic oatmeal. which is only $0.30 cheaper than whole foods.

Thats the ONLY item in the entire store that is cheaper than whole foods.
Hit any Cash and Carry..Bob's Red Mill oats, three or four varieties (steel cut, rolled, quick cook, and instant) in 25 lb bag for about fifteen bucks. May not be certified organic, but Bob's don't sell nuttin that ain't clean and pure. Been doin it since about nineteen ought twenny seben er so. Can't beat the price.

It's certainly your choice whether you eat organic or not. An informed choice is a nice thing to have.

Uhh. not ALL certified organic is truly clean and safe. Even organic certified wheat has glyphosate (Roundtup ) in it because they do the same thing you described for beans... dessicating the grains to dry them out before harvest, gets a lower moisture content in the finished grain and almost no added cost. I've read that 80% of wheat grown in N America including organic has glyphosate residues in it.

Lots of locally or "traceable" fruits and veggies are not sprayed wiht anything, are natural, but they just don't pay the fees to certify as organic. I'm into coffee, and "certified organic" specialty coffee (the quality stuff, not FOlgers/Yuban, etc) is a joke. FACT is that 95% of coffee producers do things they way they've been done for 150 years, do't spend the money on chemicals, and still produce outrageously great coffee. KNOW your source. Its been proven that the NOS cert is amongst the least reliable.... how can a smallholder, growing on a few hectares, minimal annual cash income, gonna pile some bags of Monsanto on his mule and slog three hours up the hill to his fields, spending half his annual cash on it... and turn a profit? Doesn't happen. Yet these same guys KNOW what they're doing and do it. Same in tea, for the most part.

I remember back about fifteen years ago when the "pesticides are in everything" mantra was popular, Fred Meyers decided to send out their conventionally grown produce to an independent lab for testing. Results? Almost none of it ever had any pesticides or hormones in it. That was back when certified organic was crazy expensive. The rules to maintain certification have changed signficantly of late.. particulalry the US cert bodies like NOS.

Most dairy these days is labelled hormone and antibiotic free, and is. Pesticides are rarely used on the grains, most dairy cattle are fed from the same property on which they graze and loaf. Again, KNOW your producer. I know Dutch dairymen who grow their own silage and haylage, and do it naturally, don't use chemicals or drugs, and have non-certified milk that can sometimes be cleaner than the certified stuff. The rules have relaxed, so there now are ways for contamination to creep in.. and in big ag operations, they cut every stinking corner they can.

Uhh. not ALL certified organic is truly clean and safe. Even organic certified wheat has glyphosate (Roundtup ) in it because they do the same thing you described for beans... dessicating the grains to dry them out before harvest, gets a lower moisture content in the finished grain and almost no added cost. I've read that 80% of wheat grown in N America including organic has glyphosate residues in it.

Pesticides are rarely used on the grains,

Hey tionico, did I misunderstand you or did you contradict yourself right there?

You seem pretty knowledgable, so I'm taking serious what you said.

I'd like to know your source for "I've read that 80% of wheat grown in N America including organic has glyphosate residues in it."

When I first heard that grains were dessicated like beans I called BS on it. Then I did some research, and sure enough it does happen and I was horrified. The cases where it does happen is in fields where the moisture and sun is uneven and they do it to get a uniform harvest. 80% dessication however is not happening. There may be glyphosate residues in 80% of the wheat though as a lot of farmers use it for pre-emergence weed control. Especially the no till guys. They just go over the field, burn down whatever is there, and plant right into it with a no till drill. So the Glyphosate which is supposed to go away doesn't, remains in the soil, and is taken up by the wheat.

That said, your statement "Even organic certified wheat has glyphosate (Roundtup ) in it because they do the same thing you described for beans..." is comepletely false. This simply is not allowed and does not happen.

The authority I'm citing on this is me as I grow wheat and barley and my farm is certified organic. The inspectors look in my sheds for chemicals, they can drop by unannounced to see what's up, they walk my fields, they inspect my purchase and sale records, and sometimes take tissue samples to look for pesticides. They do this to every farmer that is certified organic.

Here's how strict they are: One year in my orchard I used (sold to me as organic) a treatment called Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, active ingredient is Spinosad which is a bacterium, NOT a chemical. The inspector caught it and asked me to contact the manufacturer and find out what the "other ingredients" were. The manufacturer was unresponsive and so they jerked the organic certification for my whole orchard. I'd used it on 4 cherry trees out of over a hundred trees.

Hey tionico, did I misunderstand you or did you contradict yourself right there?

You seem pretty knowledgable, so I'm taking serious what you said.

I'd like to know your source for "I've read that 80% of wheat grown in N America including organic has glyphosate residues in it."

That said, your statement "Even organic certified wheat has glyphosate (Roundtup ) in it because they do the same thing you described for beans..." is comepletely false. This simply is not allowed and does not happen.

Can;t recall, I may have archived the aritcles, but I do recall a number of them over time, probably abot two yars back. Seems an independent testing lab was testing for gyphosate residues, and foud notable amounts in even organic wheat. In the scenario, as I recall, random samples of commerciall available for purchase wheat were sent into this lab for testing... and the results were reported back. Pretty busy these next few days, but might be able to find something on that. I have a file where I PDF and save stuff like that. I usually make sure the titles are something I can recognise.... instead of some coded gobbledygook. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

By the bye, the 80% figure also came from a few sources.... as I recall it was some 80% of ALL what harvested in North America, (including organic) which would include Canada, which is signficant as they are much farther north and have shorter summers.

Seriously 7 page's about a grocery store MAN I HAVE SEEN IT ALL
Just wait another three days. You've only seen the warmup. The season championship is coming soon.

But.. one comment... you seem to fail to realise that vendors the like of New Seasons and Whole Foods are NOT a "grocery store" they are a way of life, a value set, an identity, a great big AttaBoy pat on the back. Priceless.

Just wait another three days. You've only seen the warmup. The season championship is coming soon.

But.. one comment... you seem to fail to realise that vendors the like of New Seasons and Whole Foods are NOT a "grocery store" they are a way of life, a value set, an identity, a great big AttaBoy pat on the back. Priceless.
I never been to a whole foods I don't even know where one is around where I live but I can say this I'm not going to pay $10 for peanut butter lol

The authority I'm citing on this is me as I grow wheat and barley and my farm is certified organic. The inspectors look in my sheds for chemicals, they can drop by unannounced to see what's up, they walk my fields, they inspect my purchase and sale records, and sometimes take tissue samples to look for pesticides. They do this to every farmer that is certified organic.

I'm just a dumb old, self taught home farmer. Previously growing on a measly 2200sq' plot. I wouldn't have been able to have been called organic because I did use chemical fertilizer and minimal glyphosate.

Glyphosate is an "Herbicide" not a pesticide. BIG difference. Humans could be considered "Pests", not "Herbs" though. :D

It doesn't kill a plant, like say, putting gasoline on it.
Glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide, meaning it will kill most plants. It prevents the plants from making certain proteins that are needed for plant growth.Glyphosate stops a specific enzyme pathway, the shikimic acid pathway. The shikimic acid pathway is necessary for plants and some microorganisms.

I've never actually read a bunch on round-up, until now. What I've read is pretty much what I've been told by people I trust to know something about growing food. I'm not too scared of it, and it appears there's no REAL reason to be.

Interesting reading...
Is glyphosate toxic to humans? - Biology Fortified, Inc.

Geeze people, we have no way of feeding the amount of people on the earth without using chemicals, natural or man made. Quit having so damned many babies if you want to do away with all use of chemicals in growing food!

What the organic fanboys have a hard time swallowing is its impossible to feed 318 million 3 squares a day all organic.

:eek:
?organic oatmeal?

As opposed to synthetic oatmeal?...

Grains that aren't grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides in America are full of toxic garbage. The worst of these is weed killers.

To make harvesting a uniform process they spray the fields of grain with Round-up, speeding up ripening by killing the plant and drying the grain out. Round-up can be applied as late as 7 days before harvesting. A wonderful byproduct of this process is the grains dry out & soak up the Round-up, the amount they absorb varies depending on application quantity, temperature, humidity & rain fall. The grains then store the weed killer for your nutritional benefit until you cook with it, releasing the healing properties of the modern chemical science that is Round-up.

Mmm-mmm-good!

Edit: of all the grains that are treated with Round-up at the end of harvest, wheat seems to be the most common. I have a theory that people with gluten allergies are really being affected by the Round-up.

Organic wheat or other grains as well as grain from Europe aren't treated with Round-up at harvest so they don't have toxic chemicals that will give you cancer and other gastrointestinal ailments.

But, hey! Better living through chemicals!

Last Edited:
You could if you quit raising livestock and ate all that grain, corn and other vegetables that's fed to them.

Growing crops specifically to feed to livestock is stupid commercial farming garbage.

Livestock can be fed by grazing on the leftover crops after harvest & feed crops grown on plots not used for current production. They shouldn't be eating grain anyway.

New Seasons is in business and successful because they are delivering products people want at a price they are willing to pay.

That said, I agree with you, the prices are very high. What is particulary frustrating for me as a farmer, is that New Seasons sells the same certified organic Orca Beans that I grow and get paid $1.10 a pound for $5.59 a pound. I have my own packaging line and can put them in nearly identical packages to what Bob's Red Mill does for far far less. Someone's making money and it's not the farmers.

Oh, and you want organic flour? I can do that for $4.00 a pound :)

I call them Whole Paycheck too and buy a lot of groceries there, whatever I can't grow. I've got to call you on saying organic is BS. I used to feel the same way, grew up on a farm and my dad never met a chemical he didn't like. Now he has had Leukemia for about 12 years. He's almost 90 and yes he's lived a long time but he hasn't enjoyed it. Living long and being sick and getting chemo treatments is no picnic. It's awful.

The organic certification process is very rigorous and the food is truly safer. I call them the organic police and they are up every farmer's bubblegum with a flashlight. You can trust that USDA organic seal on the label.

Here's an example of why organic is important. Most conventional bean farmers spray Roundup (Glyphosate) or similar chemicals on the beans before harvest to kill them and make them easier to harvest. They call it dessicating. It dries the plant out so it can be direct cut with a combine like wheat instead of having to swath the beans and let them dry on the ground for a week before combining. The way roundup works is that the poison is drawn into the plant and kills the roots. You can't convince me that it isn't drawn into the beans too. In fact there is a government standard for how much glyphosate is allowable in food and it does accumulate in humans. There's some real horror stories from Argentina about how sick some of the rural people are from it.

There's a difference in the sourdough fermentation process from regular yeast breat that affects the gluten. There are also heritage and ancient grains like I grow that have much less or no effect on gluten sensitive people. If they are Celiac then it doesn't matter, any trace of gluten is bad. I think that with the modern industrial wheat breeding and industrial food processing we have made "food" that lasts a long time on the shelf and contributes to all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities. Eat it as close to the condition it came out of the ground as you can.

Totally worth it to me and a growing number of others. We pay too little for our food and it is impossible to produce quality food at a Winco price.

It's the whole living until 90 but being miserable and sick thing that would suck. Organic food may not make you live a lot longer but it will very likely make you feel much better while you are alive. How many older people do you know that are sick and go to the doctor all the time? One of my mentors is a pioneer organic farmer in the Roseburg area. He's in his 90s and is still out there in the field every day working his tail off and loving it. He feels good, is mentally sharp. So there's an anecdote of organically induced good health for ya!

Has anyone heard of the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen? It's a list of produce that you should not eat anything that is not organic and a list of things that are pretty safe to eat conventionally farmed. The lists are a way to help manage the budget and be able to afford the clean foods your family really needs.

"The fruits and vegetables on "The Dirty Dozen" list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the "dirty" list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. "The Dirty Dozen" list includes:"

celery
peaches
strawberries
apples
domestic blueberries
nectarines
sweet bell peppers
spinach, kale and collard greens
cherries
potatoes
imported grapes
lettuce

"All the produce on "The Clean 15" bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:"

onions
avocados
sweet corn
pineapples
mango
sweet peas
asparagus
kiwi fruit
cabbage
eggplant
cantaloupe
watermelon
grapefruit
sweet potatoes
sweet onions

cmicsfee.gif

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR