JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The robots are coming. They're going to take your job and destroy your life – and there's nothing you can do about it. That's the hype: we are facing a dystopian future in which human labour is about to be rendered obsolete. The announcement last week that a robot had been granted Saudi Arabian citizenship – a gimmick, admittedly – was nevertheless reported as yet another step in the direction of our much-anticipated demise.

The rise of the robots need not spell downfall for humans | Chi Onwurah

WELL, THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY, YOU KNOW: Marines to get Star Trek phaser-like device for nonlethal weapon option.

The Ocular Interrupter System is essentially a green light with a combined laser range finder that gauges shooter-to-target distance then adjusts the light to deter, but not blind, personnel, said Ryan Smith, team leader for force protection programs at Marine Corps Systems Command.

It can be mounted on a the M16/M4 rail system or used separately with a pistol grip, Smith said.

The Glare Recoil nonlethal Hail and Warning device was developed as a commercial off-the-shelf product by B.E. Meyers & Co., Inc., based in Redmond, Washington. It is a $49 million contract, according to the company's website.

Marine requirements wanted a system to operate up to 500 meters. Company spokeswoman Grace Strong said in an email that the gear, "provides immediate and recognizable visual warning quite a bit farther than the stated 500 meters. It is, in actuality, effective to (more than) 25 kilometers."

I'm looking forward to the Ocular Interrupter System II, which if high-powered enough will induce the full Scanners effect.

Posted at 10:09 am by Stephen Green

EFFECTIVE TO 10 MILES+ ! <Spock voice> Impressive

AI -- that is the brains. Allows for training rather than programming. Will self program in near future.
Robots -- general purpose systems that can be training/programmed to do a variety of tasks.
Automation -- repeating something specifically over and over.

BEGUN, THE AI WARS HAVE: Our Artificial Intelligence 'Sputnik Moment' Is Now.

China's just announced an AI strategy designed to assure it will be dominant in the host of technologies by 2030.

"If you believe this is important, as I believe, then we need to get our act together as a country," [Alphabet Exec Chairman Eric] Schmidt said this morning. In a Q and A session at the event organized by the Center for a New American Security, Schmidt said he thought the US will maintain its lead over the People's Republic of China for the next five years, but he expects China to catch up about then and pass us "extremely quickly."

How important does China think AI can be? Work told me the Chinese estimate they can boost economic growth with AI by 26 percent by 2030. "It's quite stunning," Work said. And, of course, the PRC's government has published a national strategy and released it to the world.

What's the best response by the United States, I asked Work after Schmidt spoke. The federal government needs to answer this question at its highest levels, as happened after the Soviet Union stunned the world and launched the first satellite, Sputnik, Work said.

I remain dubious of any government effort regarding any kind of intelligence.

Posted at 2:22 pm by Stephen Green
Instapundit » Blog Archive » BEGUN, THE AI WARS HAVE: Our Artificial Intelligence 'Sputnik Moment' Is Now. China's just …

http://www.arnoldkling.com/blog/the-abundance-apocalpyse/
Kevin Drum writes, I want to tell you straight off what this story is about: Sometime in the next 40 years, robots are going to take your job.

The number one reason is that, assuming this plays out, there is a flip side: goods and services will be cheap, and in fact for all intents and purposes they will be essentially free. Take heart surgery as an example.

Today, heart surgery is one of the more expensive things you can get. But if you take all of the labor out of health care, then heart surgery does not need to cost more than a happy meal.

Is Alexa a robot? AI?

OPEN A NEW CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT, HAL: Amazon's Alexa now knows your credit score.

The credit agency Experian EXPN, +1.02% announced this week that Amazon's AMZN, -0.86% Alexa devices have a new "skill" — telling people their FICO credit score, a version of the score named for the Fair Isaac Corporation. Customers can also use voice commands to ask what behaviors are helping or hurting their score and how much outstanding debt they have.

"Consumers use Alexa daily to check the weather, manage bank accounts, play music and more," said Guy Abramo, the president of consumer business at Experian, in a statement. "It's natural to incorporate another important element — credit services."

What could possibly go wrong?
Instapundit » Blog Archive » OPEN A NEW CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT, HAL: Amazon's Alexa now knows your credit score. The credit age…

AI

upload_2017-11-6_14-29-35.png

Photo Enhancement is Starting to Get Crazy

This Website Uses AI to Enhance Low-Res Photos, CSI-Style

'Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap'

ROBOT drivers, or the Cars are ROBOTs.

Bob Lutz: Kiss the good times goodbye A minority of individuals may elect to have personalized modules sitting at home so they can leave their vacation stuff and the kids' soccer gear in them. They'll still want that convenience.

The vehicles, however, will no longer be driven by humans because in 15 to 20 years — at the latest — human-driven vehicles will be legislated off the highways.

The tipping point will come when 20 to 30 percent of vehicles are fully autonomous. Countries will look at the accident statistics and figure out that human drivers are causing 99.9 percent of the accidents.

Of course, there will be a transition period. Everyone will have five years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap or trade it on a module.

Robot -vs- Crab
Depending upon your point of view, this is either machine p0rn, or the most horriblist depiction of cruelty evar.
The carnage starts at :14
My friend use to tell me the factory of the future consists of two employees; a man, and a dog
The job of the man is to feed the dog
The job of the dog is to keep the man from touching the machines :D

AI in use - USA, Today in San Fran and LA:

Ashton Kutcher-Backed Medical Startup Brings A.I.-Assisted Body Scans to L.A. Mall

Oseary says he and Kutcher "were swept up in excitement from the second we walked into Forward — when has that ever happened at a doctor's office?" At a typical visit, vitals are taken on a body scanner before the member changes into Lululemon gear (no paper gowns here, or in fact, paper at all) and settles in front of a massive interactive screen to review results with a doctor. Aoun and his team created everything from scratch inside a NorCal warehouse, where physicians saw real patients and scientists created devices to streamline the experience. To wit: Near-infrared light finds veins so there's no poking around to draw blood, and Forward processes samples in 12 minutes for everything from cholesterol to STD results.

Meet Forward, An Ex-Googler's Plan To Reinvent Health Care With A Dose Of Apple, Netflix And AI

https://goforward.com/

When is this coming to my health clinic?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top