JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Mother Starship

image.jpg

How similar is this to Will Smith's "I Robot" ?!

Less labor costs and monolithic construction are two I can think of over precast. Anytime you have a joint you have a chance of failure of the joint. I did not know this even existed until I read this post. All I can say it is revolutionary, now all they have to do is get past ancient thinking building codes that specify building methods & practices rather than performance standards of the structure.

Last Edited:
Just heard a story that a fast food restaurant in California is going to start using a robot that can cook hamburger 's it's called FLIPPY but if you look on YouTube there are hundreds of video of different robots doing all different stuff and I also know for a fact that a few of the big truck manufacturing are testing self driving trucks just like the cars they say by 2035 trucks will be driving them selves I don't doubt it will happen the only problem I see with self driving cars and trucks is the whether what happens when they hit snow ice and have to put chains on they do have already auto chains but they don't work very good but by 2035 they might have it figured out

... I also know for a fact that a few of the big truck manufacturing are testing self driving trucks just like the cars they say by 2035 trucks will be driving them selves I don't doubt it will happen the only problem I see with self driving cars and trucks is the whether what happens when they hit snow ice and have to put chains on they do have already auto chains but they don't work very good but by 2035 they might have it figured out

Me thinks you are off by 20, 'er 15 years. 2020 - 3 yrs from now. First on known roads - all the Interstates for example.
Who can't they hire enough of? Long haul over the road drivers.

Add the Farm to Market roads next ( 99 for example, US 26 )

How do you solve for snow chains? Pull over and stop. Contract with some local shops to go chain up the rigs / and de-chain. But let's face it. If you tell the robot to keep it at 20mph with chains, it will. How many human drivers can stand to do that?
You can see Joe's truck stop sending a pair of mechanics out to the pass areas and have them camp there, Then to chain up their client's rigs as they approach, (and remove.) Bonus, sell chains on the spot.
The same solution for any mechanical break downs. Pull over and stop. Alert your service provider. They send the mech out to fix / tow in. ( drop the box and another robot tractor can pick it up in a couple of hours Leases near major cities, along major routes )
Aren't most large freight movers rigs all leased anyways now? Or parterned? Single owner / operators are going to have to specialize.

As for fast food,

Wendy's is putting in Robots in 1000 restaurants, and one of the the others announced a similar policy the next day.
If you really want to order from a human, come inside and wait, or ring the bell. Most of us just want to order fast. If you're not sure, pull over and let me by. #1 please. done. I can help out all the restaurants if they have a QDF on the door / Menu board, I'll down load your app in exchange for being Super Sized! And those speakers have always been problematic. I'd choose my phone to that.
To paraphrase The Boss: Those jobs are gone boys, and they ain't comin' back.

Yep I just was saying what they said on the video 2035 the magazine I read at the truck stop had a article bout a truck driven by a driver but has two trucks that are robot 's follow the other truck so basically one guy driving 3 trucks and as for your chain up solution maybe but sense sometimes are truck 's sit on the side of the road for hours for a flat tire or a basic break down they going to have to get a hell of a lot more guy's that can fix a truck than what they got now and by the way aren't we supposed be driving flying cars now the fast food guy's are going to go kiosk ordering first then slowly replace all the other employees

Last Edited:
Go ahead & love the new technology, I on the other hand have been renamed Walter & I say EMP it!!!
I'm old school & if it crashes I'll spend more time in my shop creating stuff than sitting behind a monitor. :eek::eek::eek:o_O
I don't doubt that it's coming but I think that they are jumping way ahead of them self's thinking in the next ten years it will be longer like I said we are supposed to be driving flying cars 10 year's ago

Last Edited:
I have no use for HAL and all of his brothers and sisters.
I really don't go to fast food restaurants , but if they go "robot" , I won't go at all.
Heck I don't even like the self check out lines you see now.

And yes I know I am dinosaur ... I don't even have a cell phone.
I play around on the computer ... but if it went away tomorrow , I wouldn't mind so much.
So no thanks , no robots , or "Shopping Apps" , self-driving cars etc ... for me.
Andy

If machines do all the work and all the thinking then there is no meaningful, relevant work for humans. IMO AI efforts should stop now before we get machine sentience. I refuse to let a machine make my decisions for me and will never enter a self driving vehicle.

I get the view. But augmentation is a powerful tool.

We use levers, right.
We had hand tools and now power tools.
We have iron sights and optics.

It is here. We are impacted all the time.

Heck, even the robot which selects which ad or ads you see on this site, uses negotiation and a bid system.

What will meaningful work look like? We can't all be coders.
If lying around and getting a hand out worked, the ghetto's would be utopias.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top