JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a perfect world, I'd like to shoot more.

In consideration of a new (used) rifle, I am leaning towards a .308.
I think it is more versatile and cheaper than 300 blackout.

I'd like to have some fun range days and maybe even deer hunt or go to Arizona and blast a Wild pig or a peccary.

I've got an AR, and it is ok, but it ain't me.

I have a Ruger ranch rifle (Mini 14) and it feels as though it is a part of me.
The thing is so much fun to shoot, but it isn't terribly accurate. It is an older model and I haven't put on an accu strut.

I've considered a bolt action like a Remington 700,

I'd love to have a Mini 30, just for the "Joy of shooting" Maybe it is like Volkswagens Fahrvergnügen? I really like how a carbine shoulders, and how quick they are to mount.

I've even considered an SKS in .308.

I've never shot an sks and do not know how they shoulder.
I just can decide what I want to commit to.

Price is something I'd like to keep under $800 if possible, or work out a trade for some other things I have.

Price wise, the SKS sounds like the best bang for the buck.

Reputation and accuracy, probably a bolt Remington 700 is the way to go.

And for pure blasting away, the mini 30 is calling me.

What am I going to do?
Please advise

Go to the range, rent a few, invite friends with theirs, then decide. I went through a few rifles before I found one I really enjoyed and fit me well without a lot of modification. Good luck in your pursuit!

I really like the action on the mini. I am certain I'd like the M1A, but it is a lot of scratch. Isn't a decent one around $1200

I've even considered an SKS in .308.

I've never shot an sks and do not know how they shoulder.
I just can decide what I want to commit to.
They are good for a desperate moment but nothing about them is refined in terms of well placed hunting shots and the triggers are horrible, sights are just ok. No real good way to mount a scope.....you can mount scopes but it sucks and they aren't stable. If you don't think an AR is right for you , shoot an SKS before you make a decision....... They shoulder good though . If an AR10 isn't in your future and you want a good 308 for what you describe then M1A1, start doing curls now.
For bolt guns, Ruger Scout? ........can't beat Ruger and Savage bang for buck.

These are excellent for around your price point
Tikka T3X Lite Bolt-Action Rifle – Stainless Steel/Black : Cabela's

I have hunted Javelina's in AZ when I was a kid. I had a Remington 222 that was just great. (Still wish I had it!) They are a blast to hunt. My good friend and I still tell stories about our hunting days back then to our grand kids when ever we get together. Coyotes and Javelinas. Some of the best times!

I remember the first time coyote hunting. His dad was doing the calling and I couldn't stop laughing! He'd get that call going and I would just bust up laughing. I think he was about ready to shoot me by the end of the day!!! Great times!

If you decide to sell the Mini please let me know. I have always wanted one.

Will

They are good for a desperate moment but nothing about them is refined in terms of well placed hunting shots and the triggers are horrible, sights are just ok. No real good way to mount a scope.....you can mount scopes but it sucks and they aren't stable. If you don't think an AR is right for you , shoot an SKS before you make a decision....... They shoulder good though . If an AR10 isn't in your future and you want a good 308 for what you describe then M1A1, start doing curls now.
For bolt guns, Ruger Scout? ........can't beat Ruger and Savage bang for buck.

These are excellent for around your price point
Tikka T3X Lite Bolt-Action Rifle – Stainless Steel/Black : Cabela's

Excellent suggestion. Except the Tikka can be had for less money at other places like Sportsman's. Especially if you look at the superlite models, like the ones I prefer. If the OP is on the fence about buying a 308, I'd also suggest the 6.5 creedmoor as a great alternative. Not because of all the so called "hype" that surrounds it, but because it just works as advertised..

If you are leaning towards an SKS, why not save a ton of $$$ and just get a 7.62x39 complete upper for your AR?

I did "for something different" and am absolutely glad I did. If we were closer I'd go out with you and let you try it.

Just a suggestion. :)

Easy choice in my mind. If you don't already have a big game caliber bolt action rifle you should get one and 308 is a great all around caliber. A 7.62x 39 upper for your Ar is also a good choice for a harder hitting round with cheap ammo availability.

Last Edited:
A Garand is a solid choice albeit more than your budget. I would own a Garand except I invested wisely in fal's when they were affordable and to me they fill the same role.

The nice thing about and SKS when compared to most mentioned, its virtually indestructible.
One of the fastest field strip rifles out there. And still reasonably priced. The Yugo is slightly longer and heavier then a Norinco. They also make a great truck gun. The integrated 10rd mag makes it legal in most states, and there are 5rders one can buy for hunting in some states. Of course I am biased.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top