JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could potentially look like I might be a problem... So I go out of my way to not be a problem.

This for instance is not how I greet LE at my truck window.

13178556_10206329085733058_7475654199653858074_n.jpg

I think I look pretty friendly if I smile (Granted I don't smile a lot)

17634585_10208915310667065_816176383223097855_n.jpg

In any case.... When I pull over... I roll down my window and put both hands on the wheel and wait to be instructed on what to do, I do what is ask and answer any questions followed by a "sir" (or Yes Ma'am)

What you look like plays a part. Anyone who says otherwise probably does not fit "the profile"

I assume all you guys who want to act tough with the cops probably look like your typical suburban dad or grandpa... I can tell you there is much to much at risk for someone who "fits the profile" to act that way.

I could potentially look like I might be a problem... So I go out of my way to not be a problem.

This for instance is not how I greet LE at my truck window.

View attachment 375474

I think I look pretty friendly if I smile (Granted I don't smile a lot)

View attachment 375477

In any case.... When I pull over... I roll down my window and put both hands on the wheel and wait to be instructed on what to do, I do what is ask and answer any questions followed by a "sir" (or Yes Ma'am)

What you look like plays a part. Anyone who says otherwise probably does not fit "the profile"

I assume all you guys who want to act tough with the cops probably look like your typical suburban dad or grandpa... I can tell you there is much to much at risk for someone who "fits the profile" to act that way.
That's funny POST OF THE DAY

He broke the law. According to OFF, the OR courts have ruled that he could not even ask if you had a gun in the car. He had no PC. He also knew you had a OR CCW before he walked up to your car. He got that info when he ran your plates. But knowing you had a CCW still does not give him PC to ask if you had a gun.
You did not have to answer his question about you having a gun. A mistake on your part. Just keep your spread hands on the wheel and say nothing. You also did not have to give him your CCW. You are not required to under OR court rulings. Do I have any of this wrong? Possibly. If sosss, my apologies. Most respectfully.
TN presented as I have, do. "OK. License and CHL handy as he walked up to the window. He started by applauding me for my use of a turn signal. Of course, I think to myself, I even use it in parking lots. He hands back my CHL, asks for license and insurance"
If I can get my wallet out, before stopping, I do it. Window rolled down. Wallet in hand both hands visible on the steering wheel.
If I can't get wallet out, hands visible on steering wheel. Politely ask for and receive permission to reach for my wallet. Open wallet, present license (CWP under license becomes visible for Leo to see) Ask for and receive permission to get registration and insurance from glove box.
"Sir, I see you have a CWP, are you armed at this time?" I affirm, G27, right side, inside waistband. "Sir, you keep yours where it is, and I'll keep mine where it is" I affirm I understand. He does the official business. We then gossip about 9 vs 40 vs 45, 3-Gun, and suchforth.

I consider them to be God's instrument to maintain the good order of society.

TN presented as I have, do. "OK. License and CHL handy as he walked up to the window. He started by applauding me for my use of a turn signal. Of course, I think to myself, I even use it in parking lots. He hands back my CHL, asks for license and insurance"
If I can get my wallet out, before stopping, I do it. Window rolled down. Wallet in hand both hands visible on the steering wheel.
If I can't get wallet out, hands visible on steering wheel. Politely ask for and receive permission to reach for my wallet. Open wallet, present license (CWP under license becomes visible for Leo to see) Ask for and receive permission to get registration and insurance from glove box.
"Sir, I see you have a CWP, are you armed at this time?" I affirm, G27, right side, inside waistband. "Sir, you keep yours where it is, and I'll keep mine where it is" I affirm I understand. He does the official business. We then gossip about 9 vs 40 vs 45, 3-Gun, and suchforth.

I consider them to be God's instrument to maintain the good order of society.
So yer a professional detainee ?

:)

Sounds like the LEO was fishing for something. What? Who the hell knows. There are a couple ways to handle this. Like the OP did, or start in with a VERY hostile attitude from the fist word. To me this is a pick your battles. Me? I would have my wallet out if time. If not hands in sight and wait for him. If he asked I would then say "I have a CPL and a gun (list where) especially if it's anywhere near the wallet I need to reach for. Again wait for them to tell me what they want. When it's over I go on my way. Taking the other approach of being nasty to them right off the bat just because I can is not for me. They have a job I don't want. They have a job that only idiots think is not needed. Out of all of them now and then there is a bad one. If one does something illegal you can deal with it in court. Dealing with it on the side of the road is never going to help the case. I just got my CPL again and this time WA put it in a laminate and it's not as big so it fits much better in wallet. About time they did it this way. Shocking how fast it went too. I went fully expecting to have to kill a couple hours. I was in and out in no time. Don't know if I got lucky on the day and time or what.

I've gotten pulled over in Madras on my way to Bend, by OSP.

He went through the usual and then before going to his car asked if I had any weapons in the car. I said yes a few. And he said okay, then turned to walk away, and stopped himself and said what, you do?
He asked where and I told him and handed him my CHL.

He checked my ID and came back said drive safe and have a good night with no tickets.

He was really nice. I, as usual, treated him with respect no hostility.

In the 3-4 times I've had interactions with LEOs while either carrying or having a firearm in the car I've never had a bad experience. Quite the opposite. Always been good interactions.

I'm a big fan of "you get what you give"
I gave niceties, and, more or less, got them back. Was he in the wrong? Likely. Did I care? Not really.
These guys have a job to do, and having to deal with one less d-bag might help them have a better day. It also doesn't hurt me in the slightest. If he wanted to search my vehicle, well, I know better and would have politely declined. If he wanted to secure my weapon, I likely would have complied, perhaps with some complaint, but would have been inclined to make sure I had his name and number at that point. But, everything kept, so far as I'm concerned, routine.

Was driving to work, cigar in hand, everything was quite normal. I was about a half mile away and noticed an unmarked OSP Charger a ways back behind me but didn't think anything of it as I didn't have a reason to worry. I changed lanes, and he followed. Then I made my turn into work and he hit the lights and followed me in.

WTF?

OK. License and CHL handy as he walked up to the window. He started by applauding me for my use of a turn signal. Of course, I think to myself, I even use it in parking lots. He hands back my CHL, asks for license and insurance, looks over those papers and then asks if I'm carrying a wepon. I tell him its in my front left pocket and he says "Ok" and walks back to his car. He comes back with my ID and says that he was pulling me over because he felt like I could wait a little bit longer before actually changing lanes.

WTF, again.

And away he went.

See, you can tell a cop that you have a gun and not got shot.

Do you or your vehicle look suspicious in any way at all? Seems a bit odd that he would pull you over for such a minor issue.

So let's do a reverse profile....

1) What type of vehicle were you driving ?

2) Condition of said vehicle (exterior) ?

3) Taking big drags off your stogie with lots of hand motion and lots of Cheech & Chong type ambient smoke ?

4) Wearing a sub-culture type hair style ?

No need to answer, but something caught his eye.
If you use a turn signal in parking lots, then chances are you are changing lanes correctly.
If you also stop at stop signs in parking lots you are a model citizen.

Those were my thoughts about this incident as well. But isn't profiling illegal?

I don't know where people get some of the stuff I'm reading here? It's really simple, show the police some extra respect, follow what they tell you to and be on your way.

PDX sucks, traffic sucks and that's because too many of the drivers suck! I'm disgusted with the lack of courtesy shown to others by the drivers in this city. It's pathetic. With that being said, the cop did say @The Nothing signaled a little late? And it happened to hit that particular officer on this particular day as an issue? It is an issue after all, and not in accordance with the driving laws IF that's the way it went down.

I wish to hell that they would pull a lot more of the inconsiderate bastiges over for a lot of the things that cause the traffic in PDX to suck.

I find it strange so many people have the opportunity to have so many encounters with police when they're on the road? I can't remember? It's got to be thirty years, or more since, I've had a cop pull me over. I'd probably crap my pants or something if I got pulled over now! :s0170:

So let's do a reverse profile....
Seems to have caught some attention, so why not.

DirectDrive said:
1) What type of vehicle were you driving ?
1991 GMC Jimmy S15

DirectDrive said:
2) Condition of said vehicle (exterior) ?
Standard issue General Motors clearcoat of the era. Hasn't been washed in a year. Few fishing stickers.

DirectDrive said:
3) Taking big drags off your stogie with lots of hand motion and lots of Cheech & Chong type ambient smoke ?
Wasn't that type of cigar. L'Atelier Identité Mélange Spécial. Excellent cigar but it's not a smokey one.

DirectDrive said:
4) Wearing a sub-culture type hair style ?
Leupold freebie

No one asked where this occurred: SE McLoughlin Blvd/99E

This was the second time in the almost 4 years I've been going up and down this road for work, and the second time I have been pulled over. The first was in my convertible. That time the Clackamas Co officer didn't see my temp tag hanging until he got out of his car, he hollered at me that he could finally see it and that I was free to go. Never got to the end of his cruiser before he turned around and got back in.

This pretty much sums it up. (warning:profanity)

I have long loved that little ditty he did on this. The sad part is many will laugh at it, then act almost like the wrong version when they get stopped. What's worse is when someone who knows full well they were violating some law. So to compensate they start in with some super aggressive attitude from the second the LEO walks up to them. Then of course they rant when it does not go well. It's certainly no "fun" when you run into some Cop who should have never gotten the job. Acting like a fool yourself is never going to make the situation better on the side of the road. Especially if you know full well you were screwing up, like blatantly speeding or such. When I was a hell raising kid it was the days when a Cop would smack you around and laugh about it. Never happened to me as I was smart. Watched several buddies get a good dose when we were drunk and or high. I knew better that to start in with Pig being the first word out of my mouth. Got let go several times when they had me dead to rights just because I was smart enough to not be stupid, even when drinking.

I don't know where people get some of the stuff I'm reading here? It's really simple, show the police some extra respect, follow what they tell you to and be on your way.

PDX sucks, traffic sucks and that's because too many of the drivers suck! I'm disgusted with the lack of courtesy shown to others by the drivers in this city. It's pathetic. With that being said, the cop did say @The Nothing signaled a little late? And it happened to hit that particular officer on this particular day as an issue? It is an issue after all, and not in accordance with the driving laws IF that's the way it went down.

I wish to hell that they would pull a lot more of the inconsiderate bastiges over for a lot of the things that cause the traffic in PDX to suck.

I find it strange so many people have the opportunity to have so many encounters with police when they're on the road? I can't remember? It's got to be thirty years, or more since, I've had a cop pull me over. I'd probably crap my pants or something if I got pulled over now! :s0170:

Same for me. Since I LONG ago decided cheaper insurance was worth not driving like a fool I don't get pulled over. Last couple interactions I have had were at a break down. Either me or me helping. They would stop to see if we needed them, and then head off to find the next idiot. little gets my BP up faster than traffic but the idiots being idiots makes it 10 times worse. Almost every time you see some good wreck screwing up rush hour it's over some moron who got mad and caused it. Not someone who was not paying attention. For many years I had a second job that had me driving from one side of the county to the other 5 days a week. The state long ago bought some cars that look just like any other on the road until the lights come on. They are looking for road rage / stupid people. I have to say I witnessed a lot of stops by them that had me cheering.

You're right. Old people do not get profiled.

Mr Magoo comes to mind.

View attachment 375525

That is another sad condition I wish they would do more about. I know it sucks when someone gets too old to drive but many are left on the road way, way too long. They are a hazard to everyone around them. I would be all for mandatory driving tests after a certain age. I will never forget the old gal in front of me one day who could not hear and could not pass the eye test. So they gave her a daylight hours only license. Since I was getting my motorcycle tag again all I could think was great. She can only run me down during the day. Since every close call and or getting hit by a car the first words out of their mouth is "I didn't see you".

Maybe someone else asked this question and I missed your answer so I'll ask it anyway. Just WHY did you hand ✋ him your CHL first; instead of your license and insurance card? He didn't have a "need" to know you had a CHL but since it was a traffic stop; he did have a need to see your DL and POI. Just wondering???

In Oregon it is not required to mention to a LEO you are armed if interacting with them. However it is recommended.

In some States it is in fact required, and laws change quite frequently.

Never know if the system they run your plate may be down, slow.

Handing the CHL with the DL & insurance card/reg eliminates you saying anything, perhaps nervously (=suspicious) "gun" "pistol" "armed" etc & what have you and whatnot.

Haven't been pulled over in a long while, but would plan on having my wallet on the dash (CHL cards reside with DL) if time permits. Then to hand both & insurance card/reg when asked.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top