JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not only did I not get shot by a cop or one of the other 98 million legal gun owners today, but none of my guns jumped out of the safe and randomly shot anyone either.

giphy (1).gif

I have a problem with concept that police officers wanting to shoot me. I feel the majority are simply trying to get the job done and go home as most of us do The problem is that their are a few that do not have the character and should not have the authority they have because they simlly like the power trip.
Telling the good from the bad is the hard part so I treat them all with respect and so far it has worked for me. The problem i have with good police officers is not weeding the bad out of the ranks. Freshour comes to mind.

If you are stopped and the officer asks if you are carrying a weapon, then understand that it is most certainly NOT a routine stop. The situation has changed. He can only ask if you have a gun in Oregon if there is much more going on that you are aware of?

He must have PC? Watch his behavior. Cops give off body language. Usually if the situation has changed and he does have PC, he will wait for back up before approaching your car. If he asks if you have a gun ask him if he has PC and is this just a traffic stop? Politely.

He probably will not answer. If he asks again if you have a gun, then tell him you have an Oregon carry license and that yes you are CC carrying. Do not just tell him ... "Yes I have a gun". Stupid. Tell him you have a license and that you are legally carrying on your person.

If it is just a routine traffic stop not including great speeding or reckless driving, he can not by Oregon Court rulings even ask if you are carrying or have a weapon in the car. If he asks such you need to consider why he is asking. Again, mistakes happen.

This only applies if you are absolutely sure you have done nothing wrong. I have never had a speeding ticket. Never. I am 72. If you are going 90 and get pulled over, then that is way over the legal limit. The rules change. Be aware of this. Be polite. Be firm.

If the cop thinks you have done something way wrong or has overwhelming reason to suspect so, then you are his. Obey his commands. This includes Felony Prone searches. Yep. But understand the Cop better have a very good reason why. A reasonable suspicion.

Cops will routinely lie to you. I got pulled over by a Fed Cop in SW OR USA for crossing a yellow line. Bull Shiet. Never happened. I was driving my lady friends red smaller pickup. He took my D license and her DL and R/I papers. We sat there for about 10 minutes.

He came back to the truck window and said I could take my spread hands off the steering wheel. He called me by name as he returned my DL and her DL and R/I papers and apologized. Right PU description. Right folks and age. Wrong truck. Mistakes happen.

I am not a lawyer. Respectfully.

I automatically provide my drivers license and chl. I get it all up front. I then ask how he wishes for me to proceed. To me doing it any other way is playing games. As has been said before here play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Was driving to work, cigar in hand, everything was quite normal. I was about a half mile away and noticed an unmarked OSP Charger a ways back behind me but didn't think anything of it as I didn't have a reason to worry. I changed lanes, and he followed. Then I made my turn into work and he hit the lights and followed me in.

WTF?

OK. License and CHL handy as he walked up to the window. He started by applauding me for my use of a turn signal. Of course, I think to myself, I even use it in parking lots. He hands back my CHL, asks for license and insurance, looks over those papers and then asks if I'm carrying a wepon. I tell him its in my front left pocket and he says "Ok" and walks back to his car. He comes back with my ID and says that he was pulling me over because he felt like I could wait a little bit longer before actually changing lanes.

WTF, again.

And away he went.

See, you can tell a cop that you have a gun and not got shot.
So let's do a reverse profile....

1) What type of vehicle were you driving ?

2) Condition of said vehicle (exterior) ?

3) Taking big drags off your stogie with lots of hand motion and lots of Cheech & Chong type ambient smoke ?

4) Wearing a sub-culture type hair style ?

No need to answer, but something caught his eye.
If you use a turn signal in parking lots, then chances are you are changing lanes correctly.
If you also stop at stop signs in parking lots you are a model citizen.

This is me and this is how I feel. LEO's are not the same as average citizens. Perhaps initially they go into the profession for altruistic reasons or they have an insecure character defect. I belief more of the latter than the first. I also recognize there are a few on this site and my comments are spoken "in general". They have the same issues and troubles as any of us. How many times have you gone to work and found ole Fred to be a crabby bubblegum that day. Caught his wife cheating, behind on his bills, etc. Who knows. LEO's experience the same things and who knows what it takes to set one off. They are certainly in the command position and that must be noted. They have prejudices the same as the rest of us, and once again, who knows what those are. Additionally as time goes on they become more jaded as they witness the worst of human behavior. I think there should be a much shortened time limit on how long they can serve. True, experience is a good thing but stepping in manure daily is not. I treat my encounters with the law as formally and as brief as I can make it.

He broke the law. According to OFF, the OR courts have ruled that he could not even ask if you had a gun in the car. He had no PC. He also knew you had a OR CCW before he walked up to your car. He got that info when he ran your plates. But knowing you had a CCW still does not give him PC to ask if you had a gun.

You did not have to answer his question about you having a gun. A mistake on your part. Just keep your spread hands on the wheel and say nothing. You also did not have to give him your CCW. You are not required to under OR court rulings. Do I have any of this wrong? Possibly. If sosss, my apologies. Most respectfully.
Not true you should let your blinker flash Three time's before changing lanes NOT A LAW BUT he didn't give a ticket just advice I learned a long time ago YES SIR NO SIR OR YES MAM NO MAM will get you on your way lot faster than WHAT THE F#@! YOU STOP ME FOR you have to take into account that he's or she is on there edge when approaching a car best you can do is move slow and give them respect and do what they say IF HE OR SHE IS WRONG FIGHT IT IN COURT NOT ON THE STREET!!!!

I have the video of the guy shot by the cop reaching for his wallet they both made mistakes all he had to do was stop moving and all the cop had to do was move to the side or towards the back of the car and he would have had tactical advantage and more time to think but THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN SECONDS COUNT IN LIFE OR DEATH MMMMMM

There are rotten apples in every barrel. Most all of the LEO I have encountered have been pretty decent. I have only been stopped once in the last 15 years. I made a illegal U turn. I knew I was not supposed to do it, but did it anyway and got busted. Female officer. I was respectful and handed her my CHL along with my DL. She handed it back and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out. No Mam, I responded. That was the end of the 'gun' discussion. Got off with a warning, no ticket even though I deserved one. I will always be friendly and respectful when dealing with LEO. I have no point to prove and simply don't want to make a bad situation worse.
Those that want to beat their chest have the same personalities as the LEO who does the same.

There are rotten apples in every barrel. Most all of the LEO I have encountered have been pretty decent. I have only been stopped once in the last 15 years. I made a illegal U turn. I knew I was not supposed to do it, but did it anyway and got busted. Female officer. I was respectful and handed her my CHL along with my DL. She handed it back and said, "I don't need this unless you plan on pulling it out. No Mam, I responded. That was the end of the 'gun' discussion. Got off with a warning, no ticket even though I deserved one. I will always be friendly and respectful when dealing with LEO. I have no point to prove and simply don't want to make a bad situation worse.
Those that want to beat their chest have the same personalities as the LEO who does the same.
I agree there are bad apples but arguing with a cop on the street will get you no where all you have to do is think if you had to walk up to people 's cars all day long not knowing what's going to happen MY MOM WAS MARRIED TO A RETIRED L.A.POLICE one of my best friends in high school his dad was California highway patrol and they both said the same thing the first few seconds determines how the stop is going to go from there

Maybe someone else asked this question and I missed your answer so I'll ask it anyway. Just WHY did you hand ✋ him your CHL first; instead of your license and insurance card? He didn't have a "need" to know you had a CHL but since it was a traffic stop; he did have a need to see your DL and POI. Just wondering???

Maybe someone else asked this question and I missed your answer so I'll ask it anyway. Just WHY did you hand ✋ him your CHL first; instead of your license and insurance card? He didn't have a "need" to know you had a CHL but since it was a traffic stop; he did have a need to see your DL and POI. Just wondering???
I didn't go back read the Op but I think he gave them at the same time although you are right he did not have to give it to him BUT IF COP SEES GUN THEN YOU GOT A COP AT YOUR CAR DOOR GUN AT YOUR Face

I didn't go back read the Op but I think he gave them at the same time although you are right he did not have to give it to him BUT IF COP SEES GUN THEN YOU GOT A COP AT YOUR CAR DOOR GUN AT YOUR Face
Having spent several years carrying a Badge out on the FAR Northwest corner of WA and knowing the people out there; I'm VERY sure that more of the Traffic Stops I made involved "a gun in the car/truck/SUV" than those that didn't. Unless I had a reason aka:pC I didn't bother to ask. Although, I have been known to "Makeup an Excuse" aka: Reason to ask one or two what New Hardware they had aquired. Helps if you know the people you serve.:D:D:D

DSC_0001[1].JPG Unless something is going on with the traffic stop beforehand that you are unaware of, the encounter is going to depend on attitudes. You have no control over the LEO's attitude, but you do your's. And that can have an effect on how easy it's going to go on you.

Even before I think I am going to be pulled over, I always have my ID in an easily accessible place {prevents digging and contorting at very wrong times}. Not in my hip pocket.

When I do get lit up {yeah,it's happened} I immediately take an inventory of my current mood and shift into "Hello officer, it's a wonderful day to be pulled over by you..what can I do to make this a terrific traffic stop for you" attitude.

Finally, I can't say the above photo definitely works for every situation, but it wont hurt any if they notice it. It at least suggests that you aren't just waiting to ration out a load of counter- bullsheeyot.`

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads