JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was driving to work, cigar in hand, everything was quite normal. I was about a half mile away and noticed an unmarked OSP Charger a ways back behind me but didn't think anything of it as I didn't have a reason to worry. I changed lanes, and he followed. Then I made my turn into work and he hit the lights and followed me in.

WTF?

OK. License and CHL handy as he walked up to the window. He started by applauding me for my use of a turn signal. Of course, I think to myself, I even use it in parking lots. He hands back my CHL, asks for license and insurance, looks over those papers and then asks if I'm carrying a wepon. I tell him its in my front left pocket and he says "Ok" and walks back to his car. He comes back with my ID and says that he was pulling me over because he felt like I could wait a little bit longer before actually changing lanes.

WTF, again.

And away he went.

See, you can tell a cop that you have a gun and not got shot.

He broke the law. According to OFF, the OR courts have ruled that he could not even ask if you had a gun in the car. He had no PC. He also knew you had a OR CCW before he walked up to your car. He got that info when he ran your plates. But knowing you had a CCW still does not give him PC to ask if you had a gun.

You did not have to answer his question about you having a gun. A mistake on your part. Just keep your spread hands on the wheel and say nothing. You also did not have to give him your CCW. You are not required to under OR court rulings. Do I have any of this wrong? Possibly. If sosss, my apologies. Most respectfully.

You did not have to answer his question about you having a gun. A mistake on your part.

Whether he's in the right or not, there's plenty of ways he could make un-tender love to you and ruin your day. Never mind the fact that his union will back him up 100% if he's ever called on it. I don't see the harm in stating that you have a firearm in the vehicle, as long as you're legally able to posses one. It's not incriminating evidence. It seems like cooperating in this situation can't hurt you, but being uncooperative could. Am I looking at it wrong?

Whether he's in the right or not, there's plenty of ways he could make un-tender love to you and ruin your day. Never mind the fact that his union will back him up 100% if he's ever called on it. I don't see the harm in stating that you have a firearm in the vehicle, as long as you're legally able to posses one. It's not incriminating evidence. It seems like cooperating in this situation can't hurt you, but being uncooperative could. Am I looking at it wrong?

Right or wrong, not cooperating could get you shot. That's the choice you can make. That's what I taught my kids.

In some cases you can be right... And in some cases you can be right and dead.

If you aren't good with cards, I think its better to let the house win. Within reason of course.

He profiled you, for reasons only known to him. He trumped up an excuse to pull you over, praying that he could find a reason to arrest you. And he did want to shoot you.

We must be vigilant of their intentions, and not give them a reason.

WAYNO.

This. ^^

I once had a city cop pull me over because I had stickers on my helmet that he did not like. The first one was "capable of evading high speed pursuit", the other was "legalize freedom" - both of which he gave me a ration of **** about and then when he asked where I was employed (none of his business, but I didn't say that) and told him I was currently unemployed, he then started to lecture me about why I should be out looking for a job instead of joy riding on my murder-cycle. :rolleyes:

LEOs are pulled from the same pool of people as any other profession and a few of them just can't resist lording their authority over others, especially those people they don't like. 793644.jpg

i always tell them that i have a gun for our safety...puts a smile on their faces... atleast in the part of town i live in.

i get out of deserved tickets too.

slow it down next time MR.

"have a good one"
(you know what im talkin about)

:D

He profiled you, for reasons only known to him. He trumped up an excuse to pull you over, praying that he could find a reason to arrest you. And he did want to shoot you.

We must be vigilant of their intentions, and not give them a reason.

WAYNO.

The guy wanted to shoot him? You are way overestimating your worth as a target vs everything an LEO goes through after a shooting. The only people worth shooting my gun over are the ones I wish to protect, not shoot.

I was pulled over years ago and had my CHL (WA State) and my trusty Ruger P89 Boat Anchor Edition on me. WASP walks up and says he got me speeding via airplane and asks for the usuals. Since it was going to become visible when I reached for my wallet (concealed under a flannel shirt) I plainly told him I had a CHL and a loaded gun on me. He kept calm, asked if for our safety I would get out of the truck. I complied. He asked if he could remove it from the holster and I again complied. Once he had it I got my wallet and insurance card. He ran my DL from the radio while we chatted. He drops the mag and clears the chamber and then starts asking me how I liked the Ruger. So we end of chatting about guns and carry holsters for a few minutes. He then handed me back my license and insurance card and my magazine and loose round. He them smiled and said "Hey would you at least not put the magazine back in until I'm gone?"

I said yeah, no problem. He left, I loaded up and it was all good.

BTW, I was doing well over 90MPH and I knew he had me dead to rights for a hefty ticket. All I received was a compliment on my Galco holster. I'm ok with how the whole thing went down.

Be polite. Keep both your hands spread and on the top of the steering wheel. Maintain eye contact. Expect the fishing expedition to start. KNOW YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. Expect the usual eye stare down.

Inside cameras come to mind. You do not have to tell him about the cameras either. If you already have front, side and rear cameras he will quickly observe such. Best not to say anything you do not have to.

Do not bait the bear. Sometimes just a small facial expression will defuse the situation. The cop knows exactly what he can legally do and not do. Your job is not making things worse. Consider the stop a stress test.

If he ups the situation by asking you for permission to search your car, just tell him politely that you do not permit searches without probable cause or an inspection warrant. Telling him such politely is best.

If he has no legal or borderline legal reason to do so, most likely he will NOT ask you to get out of your car. If he does, things might get hairy. If he does tell you to get out of the car, obey his legal demands.

Mistakes happen. Lots of small white SUV cars with custom wheels and a spare on the back door. He probably has the wrong car. If he keeps you for some time, consider WHY he is detaining you. Stay polite and calm.

He can only detain you so long without PC. Do not get out of the car. Keep you hands on the steering wheel. Do not get pis ... sed. If the stop drags on and he comes back up to the window, ask him if you are being detained.

By law he must answer. He may answer with a leading question. Ignore such. Keep asking him politely if you are being detained. He must answer. Job separating event for him if he does not answer either YES or NO?

If he answers NO ask him if you are free to go. He must answer YES. This is in Oregon. You will be amazed how you can maintain control of the situation. Pretend you are the Admiral and he is the Rating on the bridge.

Above all, be polite. Do not raise your voice. Cops are only human. Good days, bad days. Above all else do not tell him you have a gun. Stupid. I do not know what the time limit is right now for illegal detainment. Some help.

Respectfully. I am NOT a lawyer.

I am a firm believer in treating law enforcement with respect and a wide degree of discretion, even if they don't deserve it. In 46 years and dozens of encounters with law enforcement I have only met with one who didn't. I was much younger then and had a different idea about how to interact with law enforcement. That other "way" landed me in a jail cell with a bloody forehead where it was bounced off the car door jam as I was being stuffed in the back. As I was trying to tell the assaulting (arresting) officer he made a mistake. The next day all the charges were dropped as it really was a mistake. I still ended up in jail and still had a gash on my head. When it was shown I was in the right and the officer arrested me because he did not understand the difference between a social security number and a drivers licence number (I had a valid Washington Drivers licence which at the time like many states had your SS number on it. He ran my SS number rather than my DL number which came back as surrendered in Idaho, which it was because you have to surrender your licence in one state to get it in another, so he arrested me for driving without a licence even though he had my valid Washington licence in his hand. I argued with him, told him he was wrong. He called that resisting) I ask for an apology. The response was a chuckle and "no"

In any case. I would let them be wrong these days even if it means going to jail for a few hours. I would rather things get sorted out by a lawyer later than by a aggressive cop on the spot.

Be polite. Keep both your hands spread and on the top of the steering wheel. Maintain eye contact. Expect the fishing expedition to start. KNOW YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. Expect the usual eye stare down.

Inside cameras come to mind. You do not have to tell him about the cameras either. If you already have front, side and rear cameras he will quickly observe such. Best not to say anything you do not have to.

Do not bait the bear. Sometimes just a small facial expression will defuse the situation. The cop knows exactly what he can legally do and not do. Your job is not making things worse. Consider the stop a stress test.

If he ups the situation by asking you for permission to search your car, just tell him politely that you do not permit searches without probable cause or an inspection warrant. Telling him such politely is best.

If he has no legal or borderline legal reason to do so, most likely he will NOT ask you to get out of your car. If he does, things might get hairy. If he does tell you to get out of the car, obey his legal demands.

Mistakes happen. Lots of small white SUV cars with custom wheels and a spare on the back door. He probably has the wrong car. If he keeps you for some time, consider WHY he is detaining you. Stay polite and calm.

He can only detain you so long without PC. Do not get out of the car. Keep you hands on the steering wheel. Do not get pis ... sed. If the stop drags on and he comes back up to the window, ask him if you are being detained.

By law he must answer. He may answer with a leading question. Ignore such. Keep asking him politely if you are being detained. He must answer. Job separating event for him if he does not answer either YES or NO?

If he answers NO ask him if you are free to go. He must answer YES. This is in Oregon. You will be amazed how you can maintain control of the situation. Pretend you are the Admiral and he is the Rating on the bridge.

Above all, be polite. Do not raise your voice. Cops are only human. Good days, bad days. Above all else do not tell him you have a gun. Stupid. I do not know what the time limit is right now for illegal detainment. Some help.

Respectfully. I am NOT a lawyer.

Instead of being the admirial, I'd be like a First Sergeant dealing with a Lieutenant. Yeah, he outranks you and is generally half your age, but you smile and nod and give a sir here and there. Somehow, top always gets his way.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews