JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bakersman345
Good thing about this is that you won't get shot walking the street with it because it looks like a toy.

Not really true there have been several shootings of children with toy guns by police in the last couple years.

Sgt Nambu
^^^^Be sure to paint the flash hider orange!

Might not get ya shot at first, but might get ya arrested or at least detained for a while.

Tongue in cheek!:)

I have no problem with the 4 lb rifle as long as it will do the job. I was in the army as well and learned quickly that ounces will turn into pounds by the end of a day of carrying it.

The trick is will it last for the job you want it for. They have change the barrel profile several times in the military as the first issue had a thin barrel and after a few hundred rounds of auto fire it would heat up and start to droop so they went thicker.

No dust cover, no forward assist so not the best for dirty places but as a home defense rifle it don't look to bad as long as you don't have to hit anybody with it.

There in lies the rub! I don't need a light rifle at home and I want to be able to hit somebody! If I have to slap some deranged sociopath in the chops I want said chops to disintegrate!

If I had that much disposable income it'd be nice to have a lightweight scout rifle.. But a simple polymer lower, slim line stock and pencil thin barrel usually do the trick.. And it doesnt cost anywhere near $2000!

If I had that much disposable income it'd be nice to have a lightweight scout rifle.. But a simple polymer lower, slim line stock and pencil thin barrel usually do the trick.. And it doesnt cost anywhere near $2000!

I would swap out the light weight aluminum lower for the poly but other than that I agree. The diffence between a 4 pound rifle and a 5.5 pound rifle could easily be $1500. An expensive 24 oz considering the first 88 only cost you $600-$700

The only poly lower I have experience with the buffer tube boss snapped off the first time it went to the range. That did it for me, no matter how good others claim to be I'll stick with metal for AR lowers.

Last Edited:
I would swap out the light weight aluminum lower for the poly but other than that I agree. The diffence between a 4 pound rifle and a 5 pound rifle could easily be $1500. An expensive 24 oz considering the first 88 only cost you $600-$700

The only poly lower I have experience with the buffer tube boss snapped off the first time it went to the range. That did it for me, no matter how good others claim to be I'll stick with metal for AR lowers.
Me too, both were a buddys.. Two different "light" range days. One was the buffertube section the other was the front takedown pin area.

I swear if they made a lightweight steel skeleton frame with a polymer coating/exterior (like circle 10 mags) and reinforced takedown pin holes and buffertube sections they'd make bank. Id buy one!

I have a New Frontier Armory poly complete lower and it has been fine since day 1. I haven't had any issues but the thought is always in the back of my mind that it could fail at any time, but so can anything else. I have been contemplating making a dedicated .22 LR out of it but it has not made it up high enough on the priority list yet.

As for the ultra light weight rifle in the OP, I kinda dig it. Not for $2300, but it looks different and would definitely like to pick one up if I ever see one on the rack somewhere.

I have a clear poly lower from Tennessee Arms that I use in firearms classes to demonstrate how a sear works. Hasn't broken, but I've only put about 100 rounds through it. I never intended it to be used for anything heavy duty.

That sounds pretty cool,

I have seen pictures of a Aero Precision light weight lower that was all cut away so you could see the guts.

skeletonized-ar-lower.jpg

My AR is already really light. When I shoot rifles I usually cycle between a SIG 556, RRA LAR-15 and an old Lee Enfield.

The extra weight on the forward part of the SIG upper is DRAMATICALLY noticeable after shooting the AR. Probably only about 2.5 pounds different, but you really notice it. I shot hundreds of rounds through the AR on all-day shooting events. No big. The same amount of time with the Sig? A little more strain on the weak arm.

As for the Enfield? Every time you pull the trigger you are glad of the weight. Cause .303 in a truly lightweight gun would start leaving bruises pretty fast. I have a 30-30 lever gun that's cut back and weighs maybe 5 pounds with no recoil pad. Shoot 30 rounds through that sucker and you'll know you did it.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top