Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I did not think you could take a "lightweight" AR too far... I was wrong.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Feb 1, 2015.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Although the 4 ish pounds is amazing, I am not a fan. Especially at the $2300 price point

Battle Arms light weight carbine as shown at Shot show DSC00519.jpg

Maybe a big part of my problem is the color. It might not looks so awful if it was a dark color.

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'd fear everytime I shot it it would rip apart.

Not a fan. If a couple pounds will make a diiference do a few more push ups and squats.

DSAPT9 and Medic! like this.
  3. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I would think anything weighing less than a gallon of milk would be tolerable?

4. IronMonster

Eight and a half pounds for a rifle without an optic in 5.56 is a lot. It may not seem like a lot till you pick up a rifle that weighs 5.5- 6 pounds but there is a huge difference in how it feels. I was never really aware I was in the lightweight camp until I got my first one, Now what it weighs is one of the first considerations I make. I am not a total weight weenie but I will opt for lightweight if it does not add a zero to the end of the price. Gone are the days of 20" bull barrels and 3 pounds of crap bolted to the thing for me :)

BoonDocks36, Sgt Nambu, 308 and 4 others like this.
  5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I guess that's true.
    I have a 24" SS bull barrel AR I built that I would not want to carry around. For an AR it's a brick.
    But I have a Delton 16" carbine that feels like it weighs nothing, but anything compared to that 24" is "light weight"

6. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It would be perfect for that sprint to the bunker cause I am carrying enough weight already.

iusmc2002 and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

I think a color change would be nice. Not a fan of that look.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  8. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Cant. That's light weight color.

You trying to add 2oz.?

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I gotta tell ya.There is a guy out here that is like 400+ pounds that runs around in an electric cart like your avtar.So when I read this post,or any of your posts I see you as that guy,lol
    Sorry
    Iron Master

10. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Not everybody is in their 20s, or in the best of health and able to just do more exercise in order to carry more weight. Go through some of the injuries, broken bones and worn out joints I have (much less worse injuries) and then add 60+ years on top of that, and then come back and tell me about how I just need to exercise more.

Why not just carry an M240 with full loadout and spare ammo cans? :rolleyes:

Regardless of the shape you are in, the less your firearm weighs, the more ammo you can carry and/or the farther and faster you can go.

11. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I did a backcountry deer hunt once where we hiked 4 miles off trail to set up camp for 5 days. Most of my backpacking gear is expensive and falls within the Ultra Light category but I would have given anything for a 4lb rifle.

U201491, Sgt Nambu and 308 like this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Not my cup o tea either.

13. Koda

mjbskwim and IronMonster like this.
  14. IronMonster

That looks a bit better than the silver treatment

KayDee7 likes this.
  15. Koda

Caveman Jim, IronMonster and Nwcid like this.
  16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

IM, that's just racist! :D

My "go-to" 16" Armalite middy tips in at about 10-lbs with a full mag (as pictured). It's not the lightest specimen out there, but it's well balanced and shoulders smoothly. I used to pack a M60 and 600 rounds of ammo in my rucksack over the horizon and back in the Army (often), and my tool pack at work is a good 35-40lbs that I schlep around everyday. It kinda tickles when only carry 10-lbs. :p

image.jpg

17. bakersman345

bakersman345 Camas wa Well-Known Member

Good thing about this is that you wont get shot walking the street with it because it looks like a toy.
    - but really I think its cool, recoil is going to go up though. Life is a balancing act

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

^^^^Be sure to paint the flash hider orange! It's an odd looking thing! Interesting to hear how well it performs and it's sturdiness!

Caveman Jim and BoonDocks36 like this.
  19. DSAPT9

DSAPT9 North Idaho Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have no problem with the 4 lb rifle as long as it will do the job. I was in the army as well and learned quickly that ounces will turn into pounds by the end of a day of carrying it.

The trick is will it last for the job you want it for. They have change the barrel profile several times in the military as the first issue had a thin barrel and after a few hundred rounds of auto fire it would heat up and start to droop so they went thicker.

No dust cover, no forward assist so not the best for dirty places but as a home defense rifle it don’t look to bad as long as you don’t have to hit anybody with it.

20. DSAPT9

DSAPT9 North Idaho Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

bakersman345
    Good thing about this is that you won’t get shot walking the street with it because it looks like a toy.

Not really true there have been several shootings of children with toy guns by police in the last couple years.

Sgt Nambu
    ^^^^Be sure to paint the flash hider orange!

Might not get ya shot at first, but might get ya arrested or at least detained for a while.

BoonDocks36 likes this.