JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always held to the idea of researching what a "good" whatever is, learning about features, benefits, quality, value..... then getting the best I can possibly afford. That way I've got a high quality tool that I can learn well on. It also saves me the misery of dealing with junk, and having to re-learn once I finally decide to move up the line in quality. The first handgun I bought is a Smith J Airweight, .38 +P. Still have it.. next was a Kimber full size. Then a Browning High Power in nine, and later (once I learned they MADE them, a BHP in 40. Most recent a Kahr MK 40......long guns were a Sako, Browning White Gold Medallion, Ruger 77 stainless...... I do not forsee a need to sell any of them.... at least, not to upgrade. To what? Get great stuff in the beginning, and have done with it. I admire anyone, just starting out in some field of interest, taking the time to educate himself, learning what is good and what is not, then doing the shopping required to get the best possible value. Most of what I've bought have been used.... though, to look at them and use them you'd never know it. Makes the budget stretch a LOT further. Had I bought all of it new, I could only have afforded maybe three handguns, two long guns...... so now I'm after some good condition, low priced vintage military rifles.... 8mm Mauser, 6.5 Swede, M1 Garand....... useful tools, very low priced for what they are. Ammunition relatively cheap and available, as well.

A good reason this young adults can make such nice purchases is they are more computer literate. They, read the reviews, understand crap and quality, and shop online for good deals. They join blogs, read what is good, and make a great quality used gun purchases. These are the ones that keep those that use the blog as their home business, in business.
tlakidd

It's darn tough to begrudge someone who bypasses the junk and goes directly to the good stuff. Of course, one man's "good stuff" is another man's junk anyway, so perhaps it all levels out in the end.

In any event, sorry that you woke up on the wrong side of the gun shop yesterday, Penguin. Let's hope that your new year starts far better than your old year ended. :)

I might add here that the first gun I bought was a Ruger Bearcat. I still own it, still take it to the range from time to time, still find it a pleasure to shoot, and am doggone delighted to have had it these 45-plus years.

I'm kind of thinking the first gun thing is kind of like the first girlfriend thing. When you're young and inexperienced, you go with the first one that will kiss you back without malfunctioning. Then after a little experience, you upgrade! :D

Does the above statement make me a terrible person? :s0114:

not at all.

I feel the penguins pain, some days the gun forums make me scream. The only cure is Gunbroker and bidding.

My first gun was an Lee Enfield, #187 and 188 also L Enfields, with in the last hour. I got to stay off gun broker.

My first gun was the one on the right. I picked up my second one about three weeks later. :s0155: You don't want to know what I paid. :cool:

2uspcs.jpg

Yeah, my first handgun at 17 was an old Taurus 66 .357:) Love it and shoot it all the time. My only other handgun I've been able to by is a Star M45, but I also like that alot. Very accurate, but still... Stupid college budget...

i remember my first gun-(shotgun that is) dad gave it to me when i was about 10, and handed me 2 boxes of shells-his exact words at that time were=there are 24 shells their boy, and that should be good enough for 26 birds. i also received a rem .22 bolt at the same time.dad figured that it had at least 5000 rnds down it ,and when it got stollen, i think i had another 15,000 through it-but at that day an age -seemed like everything was a handmedown(1959),and you learned to take care of it, like it was brand new.
steven

I can't remember exactly what my first firearm was. I know I bought a Mossberg 500 12 ga (still have it), a SMLE and a Mosin Nagant in a short time frame. The Mosin went back, and a Swede took it's place. A Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag was my first pistol, and that was stolen, then recovered, and then sold if off a few years later to a member on here.

My step-father though, he is one of the guys mentioned in the first post. He has had firearms for a few years, generally ones that are handed down from family, that he is just holding on to. Original Springfield Trapdoor .45-70, old Colt .25acp, etc, but when it came time to actually "own" a firearm, he did it the right way.

His first two purchases? Ruger Mk III .22lr target, and a Dan Wesson Pointman .45acp. He almost bought a Colt, as he felt the resale value would be better for whoever inherited it, until I asked him why he would pass down his firearms to people who would sell them? On that note, he had me go to the gunshop and help him pick out the Dan Wesson, saying "since your going to inherit it, and probably own it longer than me, you might as well make sure it's something you like". :s0112: :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top