JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So will a handgun purchase require taking the class and or permanently waiving medical piracy?
I am getting conflicting info on this. The FFL dealer I use hasn't even got 1639 completely figured out yet.

Going to catch a bunch of these in one reply.

With handguns, you waive your Hippa forever after July 1 for pistol or semi auto rifles.

Local LE that "won't" enforce 1639, they have to give the dealers NTN approvals for us to release firearms...so its being enforced.

Lowers are not part of 1639, but they are caught up in the NICS changes that Washington did not address in the previous 2 years. WSP, DOL , WASPC and the AG have been sent a letter from several republican legislators in my district about this issue and demanding a speedy resolution. As of right now, there is no way to request a background check on those itesm (actions, frames, receivers or Mossberg Shockwave type firearms). This one is messy.

We have 450 lower on hand, plus 2000 other firearms in stock. We are going to go thin by July 1, I don't want to sit on inventory after July 1.

You can't legally buy semi autos rifles out of state and take take delivery out of state. They will be sent to a dealer in WA.

You can't sell your semi auto rifle on NW firearms or Armslist, or Gunbroker. Its illegal to sell a semi auto rifle to a non resident July 1. That's you, me and every manufacturer in WA.

We have a free online training class going live in about 7 days. it will be fre and 1639 compliant. Will take about 5 minutes to complete.

Expect background checks to take between 2 and 4 weeks. This is the warning we are getting from various agencies.

We are challenging several aspects of this in Federal court right now.

HIPPA rules only pertain to healthcare providers. The courts and LE agencies are not health care providers and they can. They can and have required you to waive your right to privacy for ever. The attorneys are still looking for the right angle to pursue this.

Its going to be a rough few months. A lot of shops won't survive this, remember that when shopping online and whining about local gun shop prices.

So will a handgun purchase require taking the class and or permanently waiving medical piracy?
I am getting conflicting info on this. The FFL dealer I use hasn't even got 1639 completely figured out yet.
Go to our Facebook or Youtube page and watch the videos we're posting on this topic. Many dealers put their heads in the sand on this...still are. Irresponsible shop owners there, didn't do you or themselves any favors.

Wow, two weeks to go and your dealer is still puzzled? The law is on the WA RCW site and after a few readings it is fairly clear, and I'm not a dealer. No a handgun purchase does not require a class and has required waiving your HIPPA privacy for years. The change on handgun purchases is that your CPL no longer waives the waiting period. It is of no use for purchasing anymore. That change was because of a FBI policy change on background checks and nothing to do with I1639 but goes into affect on July 1 also.

Dan,
FYI, I don't do fb or twitter so please help us poor souls to get to/view the newest info you post in those places? Please? I love being informed but the fb & tweety thing will not happen. I'm to damn old to put up with their crap & I suspect there are a lot of us that feel the same.

Dan

Wow, two weeks to go and your dealer is still puzzled? The law is on the WA RCW site and after a few readings it is fairly clear, and I'm not a dealer. No a handgun purchase does not require a class and has required waiving your HIPPA privacy for years. The change on handgun purchases is that your CPL no longer waives the waiting period. It is of no use for purchasing anymore. That change was because of a FBI policy change on background checks and nothing to do with I1639 but goes into affect on July 1 also.

As I understand it the HIPPA waiver has always been for a one time check and thats it. With 1639, it becomes a permanent waiver. I also believe they may be planning on digging much deeper than they currently are but Im not 100% on that.

I am not permanently signing away my right to medical privacy. I dont trust for one second that Washington State wont use that info in every way possible to disarm gun owners.

So, is an injunction possible on 7/1?
I realize that the background checks will take forever and that probably we are stuck with that, but the HIPPA thing and annual background checks should both be beatable. I anticipate the state ultimately setting up a background check system coupled with a hefty "fee" (not a tax--that would be illegal) to run it. I fear the days of cash and carry are coming to a close.
BTW
How does this affect non semi auto rifles? Would those be subject to delay as well?

Another thing...customization on a handgun or semi-auto rifle you own...you'll have to waive HIPPA for life to get them back from a 'smith.:( So, you still going to have that dream 1911 built or Glock tricked out?

Shops/FFLs that go under won't come back.

1639 is poised to 'succeed' as planned by those who ramrodded it through.

Hard times likely ahead...

Hope I'm wrong...

Boss

Last Edited:
Another thing...customization on a handgun or semi-auto rifle you own...you'll have to waive HIPPA for life to get them back from a 'smith.:( So, you still going to have that dream 1911 built or Glock tricked out?

Shops/FFLs that go under won't come back.

1639 is poised to 'succeed' as planned by those who ramrodded it through.

Hard times likely ahead...

Hope I'm wrong...

Boss

See 9.41.113(4)(f). No dealer background check is required for a return of a gun from a licensed gunsmith to the owner from whom the gunsmith received the gun. There may be other provisions in 1639 I haven't read yet that would affect this, but I don't see where a gunsmith (FFL gunsmith) return goes through the dealer at all. I-594 does not require it and federal law does not require it. If anyone knows of a section that relates please speak up.

Git an email from DOL today about the certification training;

"Customer should be keeping their cert with them. Some dealers will be making a copy of the cert for their records. It doesn't go to LEA for the background check. It doesn't come to DOL either."

Appears the state won't be seeing the training cert. So if your local FFL doesn't have have the stomach for all this, could be iffy to purchase. In talking with my Sheriff, Bob Songer...you know the one that's been all over the news about 1639...told me he's not going to enforce checking the medical box.

Had a nice talk with Dan of Sporting Systems...appears we are forging forward and forcing the issue with the training certificate for free, and going to shove it down Olympia's throat !

I got one for you. If you buy a Single shot or Bolt action AR-15 this crap does not apply correct? Yes there is such a thing. If you then put a semi auto upper on it how would this work?

i don't think I1639 changed anything for handgun purchases but a change in FBI policy for NICS background checks has done away with the waiver of the waiting periods for handgun purchases for those with a CPL. Your CPL doesn't mean anything for a handgun purchase after July1. WA could reinstate that if they wanted but of course not.

Yes it did change pistol purchases. After 7/1/19 when you sign the state pistol form. You have just signed a waiver allowing the State of Washington to open your medical records with out ever telling you and they can do it when ever they feel like it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top