JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC, there was a bill proposed that would have required magazines to be transported locked, separately from a firearm...violation was a felony...but don't believe it passed. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of.

That would have been a wonderful...forget take a mag out of your firearms or range bag on the way home from the range...*poof* instant felon. :eek:

Boss

That could be. We had some marksmanship training at our range near the Oregon/Washington border and one of the guys brought it up. Our NRA instructor said no loose rounds in a vehicle in Washington and you can only have one spare mag in the vehicle with a CPL/CHL after 7/1/2019.

That could be. We had some marksmanship training at our range near the Oregon/Washington border and one of the guys brought it up. Our NRA instructor said no loose rounds in a vehicle in Washington and you can only have one spare mag in the vehicle with a CPL/CHL after 7/1/2019.

Just like the NRA these days. You can't believe or trust them.

There were several gun control bills introduced in the session by Democrats trying to outdo each other on gun control and most did not pass. Never heard of the ammo in car restriction and your instructor doesn't know what he's talking about.

OK, I have received a legal answer to my question. This is from a second amendment lawyer in Tacoma who is also a member of this site.

The law states that, on and after 7/1, the dealer must comply with I-1639 in order to "deliver" a semi-auto assault rifle. I interpret this to mean that I-1639 applies on delivery, not purchase. So if the delay extends past 7/1, the dealer will need to comply with I-1639 before you can receive the firearm. You can discuss the issue with your preferred dealer to see if s/he interprets it the same way or not.
Vitaliy Kertchen | Attorney at Law
Kertchen Law, PLLC | 253-905-8415 | kertchenlaw.com
917 S 10th St | Tacoma, WA 98405
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

A few questions for anyone that can help, and my apologies for asking anything that's already been covered:

Where handgun sales are concerned, background checks will go through the sheriff's office. Are there any other issues here for handgun purchases? It would still affect age 21 and under, correct? Does it enact any other items in the bill? HIPAA? Training?

Of the county sheriffs who have declared they will not enforce the law, it appears they are stating they will not take punitive action. Aside from that, have any stated they will not also not participate in background checks in relation to this bill?

Thanks

Ummmm, if you're planning on purchasing a newly-created class [cue evil voice] 'semi-automatic assault rifle,' and presuming you have the $$, why not avoid the whole issue by not waiting to the very last possible second? Put another way...go buy it now.

Waiting does not compute.

Now, what you may buy around Xmas when Santa brings you some $$...that may be different (hopefully not)...

Boss

+1 on buy now - buy them cheap and stack them deep...if you are in the area of Sporting Systems...help them defeat this mess and buy up their inventory...lets make the state ag the biggest gun salesman of all time...let's make this June the biggest NICS checks ever...

I'm with y'all on buying up. Have been doing my part there for a long time. This is more of a hypothetical at the moment. I'd simply like to better understand what implications this may have on handgun purchases.

I'm with y'all on buying up. Have been doing my part there for a long time. This is more of a hypothetical at the moment. I'd simply like to better understand what implications this may have on handgun purchases.
i don't think I1639 changed anything for handgun purchases but a change in FBI policy for NICS background checks has done away with the waiver of the waiting periods for handgun purchases for those with a CPL. Your CPL doesn't mean anything for a handgun purchase after July1. WA could reinstate that if they wanted but of course not.

Ok thanks, that helps me. It's been a long time since I've purchased without my CPL present. I wasn't sure if the application being sent to local law enforcement (as previously mentioned in this thread) was part of the current law processes for buyers without CPLs. I assumed everything was done on a federal level.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top