JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking of trying to shoot a deer with my AR this year. I know some people think that .223 is way to small and I dont want to get into that discussion. What I would like to know is what would be a good ammo to use? I am obviously looking for something with fragging abilities and the ability to rip a nice hole

I have been thinking of trying to shoot a deer with my AR this year. I know some people think that .223 is way to small and I dont want to get into that discussion. What I would like to know is what would be a good ammo to use? I am obviously looking for something with fragging abilities and the ability to rip a nice hole

i have used my 223 for the past 3 yrs for deer...i have used 55Gr PSP thay work vary good...you dont want to use V-max or nuthing dumb like that...u want a hard hiting 55Gr or bigger PSP.

you will get alot of (its too little to hunt deer with) on forums.....well ill i have to say is it kills people so it surr will kill a deer...so i started useing my 223.. and i have shoot from 75-250 and thay drop in there tracks

Last edited by a moderator:
i have used my 223 for the past 3 yrs for deer...i have used 55Gr PSP thay work vary good...you dont want to use V-max or nuthing dumb like that...u want a hard hiting 55Gr or bigger PSP.

PSP? sorry I am not sure what that is.

And what grain would be best for a 1x9 twist. I have always shot 55grn and had good accuracy but that doesn't mean it cant be better. Thanks for some info so far. With ammo being a hard to find I am going to start shopping for my deer loads now

I am not sure on the legalities of hunting with a .223 in Oregon. Here in Washington, the minimum caliber that you can hunt big game with is .264. The theory is that at 100 yards the round must create more than 350 lbs. of impact. Thank the wonderful Washington department of fish and wildlife. In my opinion, the .223 round is the single best varmmit round there is. 22 caliber bullet with a high volocity of over 3,000fps. Duck you little prarie dog. :s0155:

224 dia centerfire or above is legal in OR for deer.

OP: Does not sound like you reload. If you do, the 60 grain Nosler Partition works well for deer.

PSP mean pointed-soft-point.

For factory ammo you might look for Federal ammo. Its spendy so there is not too much demand from the AR people. Find a box of 223 with a deer picture on it not a varmint. Also, FMJ is not legal to hunt deer with here.

I know that fmj is not legal in OR and yes .223 is legal to the person from washington. Thanks for the info. Im sure I can find some soft point some where and that is what I was planning on using. I have always used that with my other deer guns. But this year I have the want to take a local blacktail with the ol AR. Never done it but I know it can be done with a good shot

I would use 55gr+ and preferrably a premium bullet(Barnes,Nosler,etc) It will do the job if shot placement is right and range reasonable. If you load your own its not expensive either....

Broadside shot right behind shoulder= dead deer PSP= pointed soft point .223 legal for deer in OR. Would have to be a standing shot for me w 223 and ideal for any shot. Wounded animals will ruin anyones hunt so shot placement most important.......

I would like to hear from folks that have used the .223 (in any gun, AR or otherwise) to harvest deer.
Load used...
Distance...
Size/species of deer...
description of wound...
Any other pertinant info...
Not to hijack the thread...
My intent is to use my AR as a backup. I typically travel great distances to hunt and have on occasion had damaged the scope on my primary rifle (Rem. Mdl. 700ss in 7mm mag). I dont want to be a 6 hour drive from home or 3 hour drive to the nearest ($$$) gunsmith when my primary is off line.
Certainly tactics would change, such as refraining from 300yd+ shots etc...

Nosler makes some excellent bullets just for this particular thing. I like the 55g. ballistic silvertip, or 60gr. partition spitzer. What's even better is that they are right here in Oregon so you are keeping it local.

To me, it does sound fun, but I'll not be leaving my .270 Win. Canjar trigger, bipod, Leopold Gold Ring scope...

Otherwise, why have it? The .270 is a little light for Elk, but in Eastern Oregon where distance is often an issue, it's great for mule deer.

They can bury me with my .270. :)

$.02

PS You guys have fun with the Ar-15's - again I agree it sounds like fun. :)

.270 has been used for elk for years....by Montana hunters. With the premium bullets of today and CORRECT shot placement+range, the smaller calibers for any given game can work. Most of us have more than 1 gun, so best gun for the job at hand ....unless you are just wanting something different. The animals deserve a humane "exit" however.......

.270 has been used for elk for years....by Montana hunters. With the premium bullets of today and CORRECT shot placement+range, the smaller calibers for any given game can work. Most of us have more than 1 gun, so best gun for the job at hand ....unless you are just wanting something different. The animals deserve a humane "exit" however.......

I agree - lots of elk have been taken with a .270, including mine. We have Rocky Mountain Elk too. You're right - lots.

I should have said that personally I'd rather have a bit bigger caliber for elk, but that's just me...

Peace.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top