JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Watching some pheasant hunting video's and remembered that Thompson-Center still makes that .45 Colt / .410 chambering for their handgun.
Anyone ever try pheasant hunting (or any other kind of bird hunting) with one of those guns?
...thinking it might be kinda fun.

Dean

Close as I ever got:

9092B04F-8B9A-4116-98F5-2E81A6D60E1A.jpeg

I've shot quite a few grouse on the wing with a 4" Smith .44 mag using the Speer shot capsules and 6 shot.. from horseback at about ten feet. Worked like a charm.
For pheasant I used the Lee 320 gr SWC from the same gun while they were on the ground.

You need to be careful of regulations. Not sure what Washington regs are but Oregon upland regs state:

Rifle or Handguns not permitted except:
1 Rimfire firearms are allowed for the hunting of forest grouse only.
And defines a shotgun as:
2 Shotgun: A smooth bore firearm, including muzzleloaders, designed for firing birdshot and intended to
be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel length of 18 inches or more, with an overall length of 26 inches
or more.

So the TC handgun would not work for Oregon.

I've also watched people try these things out at the skeet range. The results were not very encouraging. I'm sure with a lot of practice you could get to the point of taking a very close flushing bird over a steady point.

You need to be careful of regulations. Not sure what Washington regs are but Oregon upland regs state:

Rifle or Handguns not permitted except:
1 Rimfire firearms are allowed for the hunting of forest grouse only.
And defines a shotgun as:
2 Shotgun: A smooth bore firearm, including muzzleloaders, designed for firing birdshot and intended to
be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel length of 18 inches or more, with an overall length of 26 inches
or more.

So the TC handgun would not work for Oregon.

I've also watched people try these things out at the skeet range. The results were not very encouraging. I'm sure with a lot of practice you could get to the point of taking a very close flushing bird over a steady point.
….didn't think about the regs. It may be illegal here, too.
I've never seen anyone hunt with a handgun, thus my question, but that may be the reason why right there.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top