JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just move here from Florida about 3 years ago. I've been hunting for about 20 years, my wife now wants to hunt but she's slightly disabled. What would be a good hunt for her on the oregon coast. Trask or Wilson. Any input would be great thank you

the only difference between the Trask and Wilson is distance from Portland. Stick to watching clearcuts and walking bermed off roads with her, youll have as much a chance as anyone else...

I just move here from Florida about 3 years ago. I've been hunting for about 20 years, my wife now wants to hunt but she's slightly disabled. What would be a good hunt for her on the oregon coast. Trask or Wilson. Any input would be great thank you

I've hunted the coast and Cascades my whole life. With so little logging happening for so many years, these forests are a tangled mess. Many of the private timber companies in the Coast Range open their gates for hunting season, and I've found their forest practices are usually much more conducive to old-fashioned still hunting.

WAYNO.

I've hunted the coast and Cascades my whole life. With so little logging happening for so many years, these forests are a tangled mess. Many of the private timber companies in the Coast Range open their gates for hunting season, and I've found their forest practices are usually much more conducive to old-fashioned still hunting.

WAYNO.
Thank you for the advice

I have had great luck down there! Always good just to find an old skid road to walk or a nice clearing to sit and glass. My biggest dilemma in hunting there is one minute i'm shoulder high in ferns walking a creek bank and run into an elk at 10 yards, then you get to a clearing and shots present themselves out to 600 yards plus! So you need to be prepared for all types of shots.

They will come out into the clear cut. I've seen them just off a road, crossing it, down in a gully, far away and near.

I took this deer out by the Alsea when I was sitting in the bottom of a gully watching a doe and the buck followed her out into the open not ten yards from me.

10712830_303288126532726_3962945901327460712_n.jpg

Find a likely spot. Deer love apple trees and there are abandoned farms and orchards where they frequent. You don't need to go all the way out to the coast, you can stay on this side - I've taken several deer in Kings Valley.

I have deer on my property that I can hunt from the porch if I wanted to and I live 30 miles from PDX on the Chehalem mountains. I saw one last night under my apple tree when I came home - I see them several times a week crossing the road when leaving for work.

Some tree farms will maybe let you hunt to keep the deer off their newly planted trees.

as you come up upon a clearcut or other view approach slowly if at all and glass a lot. What I have found is they will see you even from afar then the buck will lay down and hide or bolt off in a flash before you spot him. The does will follow after him but that's moot unless you have a doe tag... they sometimes stop and look if you whistle at the does.
approach slowly and glass for ear and antler tips hiding in the cut...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top