JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello, I never hunted animals but would like to learn the fundamentals of shot placement and how to butcher an animal such as a hog or pig, lamb, deer or elk.

I am contemplating going to a hunting ranch in central or eastern or southern Oregon. My reasoning is it's time efficient, could do it in a weekend and bring my young adult sons along to participate.

Would welcome your thoughts and recommendations if you have them.

Cheers.

It's a good way to introduce yourself to the sport if you've got the means. When I fished a lot I would sometimes get a guide for a day on an unknown river so I could learn the good spots and what was working. Then I'd be off on my own.

If your completely green and don't have a good mentor then I think it's a great idea especially if you want to introduce your kids to the sport. You'll get the advantage of learning from a pro and can forego some of the common mistakes that take time to figure out. You'll learn an area and can transpose that knowledge to other areas. You'll get the benefit of the guide doing the legwork to know the habitat and where the animals are, that takes time on your own.

While I don't have a recommendation for a guide service or ranch what I would suggest is to thoroughly vet anyone your considering. Some guides/ranches may not have the atmosphere or ethics that I would consider worthy of mentorship, especially for impressionable people. It's worth it to take some time and maybe spend a little more to get in w/the right situation. I have friends who've formed lifelong relationships with their guides and consider them friends.

Happy as heck to see you seeking out info and getting into the sport. It can be very gratifying and is a fun, wholesome activity that is a great way to bond w/people you care about.

Last Edited:
You might want to try out four aces ranch in ashwood north of madras. You can hunt year round no license required. Some of the exotic animal prices aren't bad. It would be a good way to get some shooting in. I believe all the hunts are guided.

Youtube, youtube, youtube.

I used to hate youtube, and now I use it religiously.

It teaches you everything.
Take everything thing with a grain of salt because everyone is an expert in their mind, but it will give you mountains of info

Go shoot some hogs. You need to go where there's hogs.. plenty of those.. even in California. lol
There's either fenced hunts or not, personally I'd not do a fenced in "hunt".

Heard that hog hunting is popular down in Texas. A long time I ago I lived there but I did not have the time nor inclination. Now I have both... but no interest in California. :)

I've been to four aces, it's a great place to go. They have everything you need to harvest meat, a on site freezer and you can hunt how you want, the guides will set you up for up close or long range shooting. I spent a weekend out there and had a great time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top