JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It still refers only to Eastern Oregon controlled buck season. He should be golden during deer season on the west side. Elk season is obviously a different situation.

Yes Ericnemily, that's as I read it too. This was also told to me by our local state police fish and game trooper. I have, and do continue to hunt Bear/cougar during rifle deer season after harvesting a buck, it's completely legal on the "wet side". It also warrents reading closer, as it pertains to other seasons and hunts across the state.

Page 28 under hunting prohibited. It specifically states centerfire or muzzleloader only, not rimfire or shotgun. The keyword here again is hunt with centerfire, not carry. The language is very specific. We all know you can kill a deer with either a shotgun or rimfire but it says what it says. Call ODFW if you want to hear trained responders on this one. My rep repeated"we cannot tell you you cannot carry a gun in the woods" twice.....so the word here is hunt, not carry. The law itself is clear, they expect you to have a tag for the given species if you intend to hunt it. If you are not hunting, you can carry. Lawyers write these things........

Page 28 under hunting prohibited. It specifically states centerfire or muzzleloader only, not rimfire or shotgun. The keyword here again is hunt with centerfire, not carry. The language is very specific. We all know you can kill a deer with either a shotgun or rimfire but it says what it says. Call ODFW if you want to hear trained responders on this one. My rep repeated"we cannot tell you you cannot carry a gun in the woods" twice.....so the word here is hunt, not carry. The law itself is clear, they expect you to have a tag for the given species if you intend to hunt it. If you are not hunting, you can carry. Lawyers write these things........

That would make sense because there were always a lot of bird hunters in Eastern OR during deer season.

I remember ODFW used to have more rules about regarding firearms but realized the state preemption laws prevented them from regulating activities outside hunting.

I have done it myself on given years and have seen many others doing it even during elk seasons....hunt grouse with shotgun that is. The concealed carry laws are also somewhat vague in several areas. Laws are written to try and predict many situations and how offenders can be prosecuted if need be. Can get very complex.....

I have done it myself on given years and have seen many others doing it even during elk seasons....hunt grouse with shotgun that is. The concealed carry laws are also somewhat vague in several areas. Laws are written to try and predict many situations and how offenders can be prosecuted if need be. Can get very complex.....

Okay. I misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't realize you were talking about specific types of guns. What I had been looking for was specifics about what you could or couldn't hunt during deer/elk season if you didn't have the appropriate deer/elk tag.

Its clear about the hunting....you cannot without the tag for the current big game season in that unit. But you CAN carry. Not hunt. ODFW will tell you you can carry, just not hunt.

In "western Oregon", you can continue to hunt bear, cougar and song dogs after you fill your tag for deer. AS I READ IT, you can hunt for bear,etc. during deer season without a deer tag, But you can't hunt for either animals during the rifle coast elk, either 1st or 2nd season without a tag for an elk, (sombody correct me here if I'm wrong please) but thats what I read.

In "western Oregon", you can continue to hunt bear, cougar and song dogs after you fill your tag for deer. AS I READ IT, you can hunt for bear,etc. during deer season without a deer tag, But you can't hunt for either animals during the rifle coast elk, either 1st or 2nd season without a tag for an elk, (sombody correct me here if I'm wrong please) but thats what I read.

That's the way it read to me. Even on page 28 where johnboy mentioned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top