Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hunting During Deer Season for Other Game??

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Moonshiner, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Moonshiner

Moonshiner Sherwood, OR Member

Ive been hunting for years and untill recently havent heard the rumors of not being abe to hunt during deer season for other game unless you have a deer tag and the tag of the game your hunting for.
    To me this sounds a bit far fetched but to be honest I dont read the updates to Oregons hunting laws on a regular basis so maybe theres been an amendment I havent known about for years.

If anyone could clear this up that'd be great.
    Thanks

2. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Moonshiner,

You do have to have a valid deer or elk tag (filled or unfilled) if you are going to hunt cougar or black bear during general seasons for deer or elk.

I didn't check specifically for cougar but I believe it is the same. Here is the URL where I got this information. It's on page 3 just above the Oregon unit map.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/docs/2011_big_game_regs_034-037.pdf

3. eriknemily

Just checked and it's the same for cougar. It's on page 1 of the cougar hunting regs online.

4. Moonshiner

That quote you posted didnt mention Western Oregon Deer seasons, would that also be included?
    Thanks

5. eriknemily

Good eye. I didn't catch that the first time I read it. It appears Western Oregon deer season is excluded. The only mention of deer seasons is for controlled hunts.

6. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

If you call ODFW they will tell you you can carry a rifle in the woods during deer or elk seasons but you cannot hunt. You have the right to carry a firearm in the woods......

7. eriknemily

Absolutely. ODFW can't regulate possession of a firearms. That lies solely with the legislature. Than can and do regulate what firearms can be used for different hunts. But that's off the OP's topic.

bundyloco and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Moonshiner

So coyote hunting w/o a deer tag, in western oregon during deer season is a debateable subject?...

9. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

You can carry the gun, but cannot legally "hunt" Coyotes

10. eriknemily

I just spent 1/2 an hour searching ODFW website. The only exclusions I see for hunting during deer/elk seasons are for controlled hunt areas and coast bull elk seasons. I have a friend who is not hunting deer this year because he didn't get his tag for over east and doesn't like hunting deer on the coast. He's been hunting coyotes this month. A little anecdote for what it's worth. I'll keep looking for you though.

11. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

I hunt for other things all the time during deer season. Big Foot, Im always looking for that guy. I hope the National Enquirer still has that 1 million dollar bounty for him. He sure is a sneaky bastard that only shows himself to moroons. WTF. No picture needed, if I see him, he will be delivered in the back of my truck to ODFW, with up too 100 .223 bullet wounds.

12. eriknemily

Sweet success. I found the specifics on this issue at the ODFW website on page 11 under License Requirements.

As far as I can read it appears only a hunting license is required for hunting predators on public land. I'll let you find the place where coyotes are specifically named as a predator:thumbup:

13. prkrgrp

prkrgrp oregon Active Member

i spent 3 hours total time with 3 different people at the salem office on this subject last year, plus several emails to david pond bend area warden, i got 4 different interpretations, the final word was if the warden rights the ticket your screwed, so the final say is going to be with whatever warden you run into.

be careful.

i really don't care to be out in the woods with several thousand guys with guns looking to fill a deer or elk tag anyway, i can wait the 2 weeks. just my opinion

14. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Take a look at page 28, lower left bottom corner of the Oregon hunting rules and regs. under hunting prohibited, "No person shall" section. Hope this helps,, John

15. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

And you will be charged with killing a protected species. It is a federal crime to kill a Bigfoot.

16. eriknemily

It still refers only to Eastern Oregon controlled buck season. He should be golden during deer season on the west side. Elk season is obviously a different situation.

17. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Key word here to remember is HUNT. You can carry, just not hunt. I believe it will be left to the person enforcing the law in the field to determine if you are "hunting", or just carrying. Like many of our firearm laws they are written to give the advantage to the enforcers of the law and if they determine you are hunting by your response to their questions and where/what you are doing at the time, they can cite you.

18. Silverback

Silverback Oregon City New Member

As far as I know you can hunt small game and upland anywhere as long as they are in season. Not sure on cougar and bear.

19. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Small game OK with rimfire or shotgun

20. eriknemily

Johnboy,

Where in the hunting synopsis do you find that? I'm curious because I've read all over that thing and every is worded vaguely and ambiguously.... by intention no doubt.