JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well if your looking to save set-up time and use HS-6 for your 40 and 38spl, it did not work for me. I tested 125gr FMJs over 6.5-7.3grs of HS-6 in the SP101. Lots of unburned powder, erratic velocity and random muzzle flash. I have heard that it works for +P loads but i don't want to go that route. I guess i'll stick with Unique and Trail Boss for now. HS-6 works really well with 180gr and the 40s&w and flows like water through the measure.
I hope a can save someone some trouble and components.
Stay safe and shoot often!

Thanks for the heads up, I was just about to try that combo (125 grain bullets and HS-6) myself. However, I'm using plated bullets as opposed to FMJ. Bullseye has been working well, but I just grabbed some Titegroup and Trailboss so I'm going to tinker with them.

Lots of unburned powder, erratic velocity and random muzzle flash.

Are you crimping these rounds with a good roll crimp? Some powders don't just like, but require a little time to get fully ignited in the case before the bullet starts down the barrel. A strong crimp provides this.

The key here is the "erratic velocities" and "random muzzle flash".

I don't know much, but it seems usuing a slower burning powder in a snubby barrel is asking for unburnt powder,no? I notice in the books the velocities listed for short barrel guns are considerably less that in a 4"-6" barrels. HS-6 worked fine for me in .38 with full barrel lengths, but so do the other faster powders, Titegroup and 231. HS-6 works well with little flash in the .40 5" barrel at 7.6 -8.0 under 155 & 165 Raineer JHPs and JFPs.

Mike

Are you crimping these rounds with a good roll crimp? Some powders don't just like, but require a little time to get fully ignited in the case before the bullet starts down the barrel. A strong crimp provides this.

The key here is the "erratic velocities" and "random muzzle flash".

^

This is true. HS 6 does require a good crimp. I woudn't use it in a semiauto pistol round. It should word well for .38 spl or .357 rounds with a good roll crimp.

I should of mentioned the crimp. I was using a healthy roll crimp. I don't doubt that HS-6 will work i just think it need more pressure to burn clean and efficient. I'm looking for powder-puff loads for the Misses so i'm tiring to avoid heavier bullets and +P loadings. With a good roll crimp on a 158gr and a higher end charge it might work well. YMMV

Looks like I have to come to HS-6s defense. I love this stuff. I load it in 45acp, 41mag, 38, 9mm, and even 20ga. I use the same load with a 158 LRNFP in my 6" security six and 642. I use a 200gr in the 45 with 9.4 grs HS-6.

Well if your looking to save set-up time and use HS-6 for your 40 and 38spl, it did not work for me. I tested 125gr FMJs over 6.5-7.3grs of HS-6 in the SP101. Lots of unburned powder, erratic velocity and random muzzle flash. I have heard that it works for +P loads but i don't want to go that route. I guess i'll stick with Unique and Trail Boss for now. HS-6 works really well with 180gr and the 40s&w and flows like water through the measure.
I hope a can save someone some trouble and components.
Stay safe and shoot often!
My favorite for a clean burn, good overall ignition and accuracy has been HP38 or WW231. For plinking and instruction, I use Clays and it does ok.....I got 8lbs a couple years ago for $79...so at that price...it's great!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top