HS-6 and 38spl, fail...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sneakboxer, Apr 6, 2012.

1. sneakboxer

sneakboxer
    NW OR

Well if your looking to save set-up time and use HS-6 for your 40 and 38spl, it did not work for me. I tested 125gr FMJs over 6.5-7.3grs of HS-6 in the SP101. Lots of unburned powder, erratic velocity and random muzzle flash. I have heard that it works for +P loads but i don't want to go that route. I guess i'll stick with Unique and Trail Boss for now. HS-6 works really well with 180gr and the 40s&w and flows like water through the measure.
    I hope a can save someone some trouble and components.
    Stay safe and shoot often!

2. Trahma Hownd

Trahma Hownd
    Dundee, Or

Thanks for the heads up, I was just about to try that combo (125 grain bullets and HS-6) myself. However, I'm using plated bullets as opposed to FMJ. Bullseye has been working well, but I just grabbed some Titegroup and Trailboss so I'm going to tinker with them.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2
    NW Quadrant WA State

Are you crimping these rounds with a good roll crimp? Some powders don't just like, but require a little time to get fully ignited in the case before the bullet starts down the barrel. A strong crimp provides this.

The key here is the "erratic velocities" and "random muzzle flash".

4. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

I don't know much, but it seems usuing a slower burning powder in a snubby barrel is asking for unburnt powder,no? I notice in the books the velocities listed for short barrel guns are considerably less that in a 4"-6" barrels. HS-6 worked fine for me in .38 with full barrel lengths, but so do the other faster powders, Titegroup and 231. HS-6 works well with little flash in the .40 5" barrel at 7.6 -8.0 under 155 & 165 Raineer JHPs and JFPs.

Mike

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2
    Hillsboro, OR

^

This is true. HS 6 does require a good crimp. I woudn't use it in a semiauto pistol round. It should word well for .38 spl or .357 rounds with a good roll crimp.

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg
    WA

Try Herco, works great for me for both calibers. I taper crimp most handgun loads (all auto calibers)

7. sneakboxer

sneakboxer
    NW OR

I should of mentioned the crimp. I was using a healthy roll crimp. I don't doubt that HS-6 will work i just think it need more pressure to burn clean and efficient. I'm looking for powder-puff loads for the Misses so i'm tiring to avoid heavier bullets and +P loadings. With a good roll crimp on a 158gr and a higher end charge it might work well. YMMV

8. taylor

taylor
    Willamette Valley

What kind of primers?

9. sneakboxer

sneakboxer
    NW OR

Win SP primers were used.

10. Spadkarma

Spadkarma
    South Lake Whatcom

HS-6 sucks with 45 ACP, also. Good in 9mmX19 and 28GA shot shells.

11. MHWASH

MHWASH
    SE WA

Looks like I have to come to HS-6s defense. I love this stuff. I load it in 45acp, 41mag, 38, 9mm, and even 20ga. I use the same load with a 158 LRNFP in my 6" security six and 642. I use a 200gr in the 45 with 9.4 grs HS-6.

12. Jacurso

Jacurso
    Douglas Co.

My favorite for a clean burn, good overall ignition and accuracy has been HP38 or WW231. For plinking and instruction, I use Clays and it does ok.....I got 8lbs a couple years ago for $79...so at that price...it's great!