JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone use HS-6 for their 38/357 loads? I have a # that I took on a trade.
I'm wanting to load up some low velocity rounds & wondering if thi powder is acceptable.
I have researched some load data and this is what I found so far on Hodgdon's website.

F78301E8-AA6D-40AE-82B4-9508B086E73F.png
Although all I have are Berry's 125g FP plated bullets I'll continue to research the loads for this exact bullet.

73C5AF64-8CEF-4FAD-A9FA-1910827E16B9.jpeg

Does anyone use HS-6 for their 38/357 loads?
I'm wanting to load up some low velocity rounds & wondering if thi powder is acceptable.
I have researched some load data and this is what I found so far on Hodgdon's website.

Although all I have are Berry's 125g FP plated bullets I'll continue to research the loads for this exact bullet.

View attachment 826627
I don't think HS6 would be great for low velocity rounds. It seems like most light loads use a faster powder?

Does anyone use HS-6 for their 38/357 loads? I have a # that I took on a trade.

View attachment 826627

View attachment 826641

I haven't used it in 38/357 but comparing it to some of my similar loads that would be more of middle ground in 38 and lower in in 357. It wouldn't be like the trail boss and similar light loads that have been mention.In a heavier gun it would be easily manageable.

When I had to learn to shoot left handed, I loaded the Lee 102 gr bullet over .5 cc's of Trail Boss. It recoiled like a 22! When I moved up it was to a 124 gr bullet over Tite Group. and now its 148 gr over Herco. its still easy enough on the hand that shooting it out of a 12 oz airweight, I can shoot 50 rounds at a practice session without hurting my wrist or hands.

I haven't used it in 38/357 but comparing it to some of my similar loads that would be more of middle ground in 38 and lower in in 357. It wouldn't be like the trail boss and similar light loads that have been mention.In a heavier gun it would be easily manageable.

As you can tell I'm new to the 38/357 caliber so wanting to pick brains on the best advice on loads instead of pouring over mass data (which hurts my brain). Of course I'll check with the load data in the books before going head first.;)

As you can tell I'm new to the 38/357 caliber so wanting to pick brains on the best advice on loads instead of pouring over mass data (which hurts my brain). Of course I'll check with the load data in the books before going head first.;)

id give it a try on the lower end of the scale and see how it works. Hp-38 with a 148 gr lrn was a pretty soft load. I just stuck to the lower end of the load data. My 7 year old was shooting them.

357magnum:

19.5grain W296 with a 125grain bullet.

That will rustle your jimmies!
Yep
W296 is the Full House load powder.

When I loaded for 38 Special I liked W231.
Great metering, clean burn.
HP-38 is supposed to be the same powder.

700X is a great shotgun powder.
But it's cornflakes for metering small pistol charges.

110 grain hornady xtp with 22.5grain w296 is also a crazy 357mag load. Super fast and bright! Will obliterate a watermelon into nirvana haha.

Its in the hodgedon reload center.

When I was heavy into PPC.....
I used a Speer 148 grn. Lead Hollow Base Wad Cutter Bullet (it's a swaged lead bullet, really soft). However....I don't see it on the shelf anymore. Perhaps, it's a distribution thing? Anyway, 2.8 gr. of Bulls Eye powder in a .38 special case. The Bullet is loaded flush or very slight proud of the case mouth. It's for "target shooting".

BUT then.....if you were to load the bullet backwards? OMG! Yup.....you don't want it to expand too quickly. For liability reasons I won't give a recipe. Anyway.....you'll have to experiment a bit to get it to perform the way you want it to.
HBWC-seated-backwards-002.jpg
HBWC-seated-backwards-001.jpg

Aloha, Mark

wife's lcrx3 and wife like 3.5 titegroup under a 125hsm fp with wsp kindling in her "smoke wagon".
this data was obtained during the transition from impulse power to warp speed, so no star date kept.:confused:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top