Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How's for a light weight AR15 platform

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clearconscience, Jul 5, 2016.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

2. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Direct impingement gasses escaping through all those slots?

Stomper and 3MTA3 like this.
  3. clearconscience

You would think it would cause some cycling issues from loss of pressure once the bcg separates from the gas tube

4. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

The weight is in the steel parts, anyway, if you are looking for a lightweight AR. The tiny amount of weight saved by that upper and lower is trivial and IMO in no way offsets it's drawbacks.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Why not just go with a NODAK SPUD retro upper/lower with a light pencil barrel? (unless the looks are what your after) I did one in this combo and the total weight empty was around 5 1/2 pounds with a fixed carry handle!

Brutus57, Flopsweat, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It is 100% for looks and not made to be used as a serious Hunter or defender rifle.

I would dig it with all stainless underneath it - something about stainless and black does it for me.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. 3MTA3

Third kind of cool - looks neat but detracts from functional use?

Joe13 likes this.
  8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Those either fall into plinker or safe queen categories:D

9. Ura-Ki

I have to look past things like this when it comes to firearms, I have a real fetish with anodizing and machined billet parts! It's a good thing I'm poor!!!

clearconscience and Joe13 like this.
  10. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Looks really neat but At $500 I'm going to say no.

Brutus57 and Slobray like this.
  11. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

12. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

13. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

1) Pencil barrel
    2) lightweight bolt carrier
    3) The lightest handguard you can find

Anything else isn't worth the weight difference, in my opinion. Of course you have to be careful with the optic and mount, too.

3MTA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Not really, once gas pushes the gas rings excess gas leaves anyways.

Tbh, it takes away the advantage of a closed system. Not worth it, just save weight in other areas if you really need to.

clearconscience likes this.
  15. clearconscience

The stock can make a significant difference as well.

But having the weight on the back end can lead to better balance and movement.

I'm about to build an AR10 and was looking for some lighter weight items, but the differences in weight are so small that it hardly makes a difference. But cutting a couple ounces here and there can also add up

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. 3MTA3

I went with a heavier than planned stock on my builds that used a normal profile barrel for that very reason - It put the balance in the middle of the mag well. This way no change in balance as I go through ammo.

Light is great but not everything, though I am planning a lighter weight AR as a truck gun/ get home gun, where I will use a smaller profile barrel. The compromise with a pencil or smaller profile is the amount of heat the barrel can handle before you lose accuracy. I figure in a get home situation if I go through more than three mags in a single defensive episode I'm probably already dead anyway.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

The optic you choose can also play a role in saving weight. Some scopes are heavy, some are light. If you're fine with a fixed 4x, acogs tend to be on the lighter scale.

3MTA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

I was surprised by how light I was able to get my AR using the NODAK SPUD upper and lower! Combined with a 11" standard profile barrel and 2 Position Buffer tube and light G.I. stock! I also installed a light bolt and carrier and used the old school shorty triangle hand guards ( not that they were lighter) and I got down to 5.5 pounds with carry handle! It comes up to 6.9 pounds with the UTG bugbuster scope and a 30 rd steel mag loaded, but that's still a very light carbine considering its all alloy! It shoots well and doesn't really heat up, and like posted above, If I am going through ammo fast, I'm in trouble!

3MTA3 likes this.