JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AR-15 BILLET MATCHED RECEIVER SET 5.56 BLACK | Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-billet-matched-receiver-set-5-56-black-prod86937.aspx?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWXpVek9UWXlOamhrTnpBdyIsInQiOiJpWTZZRU5kbWkyS1RoR0k0QzduXC9kMXltOEJtNFBNTVdXQmtxWFB1bmQycHpmZU8wVzF3QUJHaGhuYkR5Umhqc2FINGx0ZXhZZitjK0xuTFdnb0UwdGtRamwyV3ZTSEw4QkV0aTdVT0lmK1k9In0%3D)

Not sure this could be considered a good design. Can you imagine packing this around in a bad environment? All the crap that would foul up your bcg?

image.png

The weight is in the steel parts, anyway, if you are looking for a lightweight AR. The tiny amount of weight saved by that upper and lower is trivial and IMO in no way offsets it's drawbacks.

Why not just go with a NODAK SPUD retro upper/lower with a light pencil barrel? (unless the looks are what your after) I did one in this combo and the total weight empty was around 5 1/2 pounds with a fixed carry handle!

It is 100% for looks and not made to be used as a serious Hunter or defender rifle.

I would dig it with all stainless underneath it - something about stainless and black does it for me.

Jerry Miculek and his brother in law built an AR out of that setup to improve Jerry's times on AR drills. It made a big difference for him. At the end of the show they gave it away to a veterans group to auction, believe they we able to raise $4K. BTW this was on the show Shoot Out Lane.
<broken link removed>

1) Pencil barrel
2) lightweight bolt carrier
3) The lightest handguard you can find

Anything else isn't worth the weight difference, in my opinion. Of course you have to be careful with the optic and mount, too.

1) Pencil barrel
2) lightweight bolt carrier
3) The lightest handguard you can find

Anything else isn't worth the weight difference, in my opinion. Of course you have to be careful with the optic and mount, too.

The stock can make a significant difference as well.

But having the weight on the back end can lead to better balance and movement.

I'm about to build an AR10 and was looking for some lighter weight items, but the differences in weight are so small that it hardly makes a difference. But cutting a couple ounces here and there can also add up

But having the weight on the back end can lead to better balance and movement.

I went with a heavier than planned stock on my builds that used a normal profile barrel for that very reason - It put the balance in the middle of the mag well. This way no change in balance as I go through ammo.

Light is great but not everything, though I am planning a lighter weight AR as a truck gun/ get home gun, where I will use a smaller profile barrel. The compromise with a pencil or smaller profile is the amount of heat the barrel can handle before you lose accuracy. I figure in a get home situation if I go through more than three mags in a single defensive episode I'm probably already dead anyway.

The optic you choose can also play a role in saving weight. Some scopes are heavy, some are light. If you're fine with a fixed 4x, acogs tend to be on the lighter scale.

I was surprised by how light I was able to get my AR using the NODAK SPUD upper and lower! Combined with a 11" standard profile barrel and 2 Position Buffer tube and light G.I. stock! I also installed a light bolt and carrier and used the old school shorty triangle hand guards ( not that they were lighter) and I got down to 5.5 pounds with carry handle! It comes up to 6.9 pounds with the UTG bugbuster scope and a 30 rd steel mag loaded, but that's still a very light carbine considering its all alloy! It shoots well and doesn't really heat up, and like posted above, If I am going through ammo fast, I'm in trouble!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews