JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
at this point in the fight its about rebranding the effort. regardless of the end objective the person that comes in contact with this event needs to go back home with that opinion of "I didn't know they did X,Y or Z" or that feeling when their current opinion on "Weapons of War", "Assault Rifles" was challenged in such a way that they aren't sure what happened but it causes them do their own research to reform their opinion.
"Gun Faire" is a great idea. mix in the message with other outdoor related stuff;

Understanding your optic and how to mount and zero it
Firearms statistics (use real crime data from FBI, have handouts or the link available (think QR code)
Stewards of the woods (Forest clean up)
firearm types
Hunters Safety course

and on and on. have the engagements non kinetic and low impact. vet your speakers and volunteers and set ground rules for them.

anyhoooooo just my two cents if I was to do something like this.
How to's that are simple and not mind numbing are a great idea. I like the statistics as well. Simple charts with real numbers. Something to grab their attention... Hand outs that have the same information as well as links for attendees to go do their own research.

Executive Summary: Some dressing like fools and keep your non 2a beliefs to yourself.

I just skimmed through this thread and saw no mention of the elephant in the room. The number one reason we get burned on these events and the number one reason why we won't get liberal gun owners or even the average gun owner to show up. It is the extremists. Confederate flag waving, neonazis, open carrying AKs, or insert any of the numerous extreme political beliefs that are off putting to the vast majority of Oregonians.

Do you care about gun rights? Do you care enough to clean yourself up, put on a collared shirt and slacks, and in general make yourself look presentable? Do you care enough to leave your other political beliefs at the door.

Two facts to keep in mind:

We need allies more now than ever. Identity politics isn't going to do us any favors. There is no reason for us to put up qualifications to being pro-2a. Example being, "You only get to be pro-2a if you also believe in strong immigration control and pro-life".

Not all Democrats are created equal. Just like not all Republicans are created equal. Compare a California D and R with a Mississippi D and R. You will find that despite being of the same party, they are worlds apart. While I believe that the Democrat party as a whole is anti-gun and the best hope for pro-gun legislation is voting down ballot Republican, I will accept the second best option which is making Oregon Democrats as pro-gun as possible. The painful truth is Oregon will continue to be blue for a while at least. This group does not have the resources or manpower to change that.

Is this the right address to reach you by email: [email protected]
Yes that is correct. Here's my take rallies aren't effective be you are already preaching to the choir. To be more effective you must make it "sexy" appeal to all, no OC, family friendly event. You will reach a more diverse and moderate audience. Which is what we need for IP43.

The hard part is making this inclusive and attractive to those that would feel intimidated or unsure about attending.

ETA: let me get some ideas from some people I know. as for now its getting late in my part of the world.

Last Edited:
The hard part is making this inclusive and attractive to those that would feel intimidated or unsure about attending.

ETA: let me get some ideas from some people I know. as for now its getting late in my part of the world.

It's tough, people on both sides are emotionally driven. We have to take the emotions out of the conversation. It's then we will truly make ground and come up with acceptable solutions. I have a Moms Demand Action meeting tonight. I'll keep you posted.

It's tough, people on both sides are emotionally driven. We have to take the emotions out of the conversation. It's then we will truly make ground and come up with acceptable solutions. I have a Moms Demand Action meeting tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Do you care about gun rights? Do you care enough to clean yourself up, put on a collared shirt and slacks, and in general make yourself look presentable? Do you care enough to leave your other political beliefs at the door.

Two facts to keep in mind:

We need allies more now than ever. Identity politics isn't going to do us any favors. There is no reason for us to put up qualifications to being pro-2a. Example being, "You only get to be pro-2a if you also believe in strong immigration control and pro-life".

Exactly. This is the drum I have been beating for a while now. I use the salad analogy: I hate tomatoes, you love tomatoes, but we both love salad. Let's move past our disagreement on tomatoes and get together to enjoy a salad. I know it's a silly analogy, but 2a supporters come from all walks of life and now more than ever we need to put those political/personal differences on the back burner and come together with the collective goal of keeping what little rights gun owners have left.

Exactly. This is the drum I have been beating for a while now. I use the salad analogy: I hate tomatoes, you love tomatoes, but we both love salad. Let's move past our disagreement on tomatoes and get together to enjoy a salad. I know it's a silly analogy, but 2a supporters come from all walks of life and now more than ever we need to put those political/personal differences on the back burner and come together with the collective goal of keeping what little rights gun owners have left.
That is my life's work for the immediate future. In addition I want people to know that pro2a folks can get together in public with out the typical collection of turn offs that usually make appearances at the pro-gun rallies. That is the main goal for the picnic/bbq idea.

I agree with your suggestions 100%.

I agree with your suggestions 100%. I am going to take a stab at this idea by putting on a picnic for 2A supporters and anyone interested in the topic on June 30th. I am hoping to get a bunch of people from different backgrounds to show up but we'll see who responds. For Picnic details I have so far, check out this link and let me know if you have any suggested revisions I could make to the invite page: Pro2AOregon Picnic Info – Pro2AOregon

The "about" page is written really well on your website. Stressing that the picnic is open to people of all backgrounds and walks of life that support the second amendment is really the key, I feel anyway (which you have done).

The "about" page is written really well on your website. Stressing that the picnic is open to people of all backgrounds and walks of life that support the second amendment is really the key, I feel anyway (which you have done).
Thanks, it's my first attempt at designing a website and it's not as easy as I thought it would be, I am learning wordpress gradually.

That is my life's work for the immediate future. In addition I want people to know that pro2a folks can get together in public with out the typical collection of turn offs that usually make appearances at the pro-gun rallies. That is the main goal for the picnic/bbq idea.
Another challenge is that the other team likes to use false-flag provocateurs where if you don't provide the stereotype they'll do it for you. So how do we keep them from showing up and playing to the cameras?

Media media media.. its all about perception. The media portray gun owners as all far right wing, anti gay, anti Latino, anti black misogynists. We need to change that perception. We need people, when they come to a rally to bring the black guy at work, or the Latino from down the street. Bring their wives, kids, kids friends. There needs to be firearm saftey related activities, maybe a constitutional scholar to help answer questions on the 2nd amendment. Also, speakers who are not dressed as Elvis, or people preaching. Maybe invite Tom Sellek or someone like that to speak as well.
We have to be seen as more then what the left sees us as, a bunch of old, white dudes with guns, like we know all on th eleft are not a bunch of skinny jean wearing, man bag carrying metrosexuals.:p

I nominate Elf for lead organizer of next 2nd Amendment rally. Awesome ideas! If you don't mind can I copy and paste this on my reddit sub with credit to Elf of course?
That was great stuff from Elf. It would take quite a bit of organization and expense, but I really like the idea. I am probably go to end up dropping $400+ for the picnic not including the value of prizes which I am pulling out of my stash.

I' very happy to see the crowd here addressing these issues head on instead of a closed mind, I'll do what the eff I want, wear what I want open carry, and sling an AR! I have been banging my head against this wall for a long time! It's all about image and how people see us! Nothing turns folks off like a bunch of hillbillies with Slung rifles, dirty tee shirts with offensive messages or images, and flags all over the place! It looks intimidating and hostle, and that's a full 180° from where we need to be! The other thing is the attitudes, we really need to leave that at home and open ourselves up to discussions in a honest and genuinely friendly manor!
I'm quite good and gathering Intel on groups of folks, and identifying agitators and agent provocateurs, and there are many tools to minimise the impact those types have, you just need to know what your facing!
We also need to drive home the message! Most folks are actually Pro 2nd ( contrary to the MSM and a certain Church group) where we need to really drive this big azz truck is the "were all for the 2nd, but no body needs an assault rifle" or the "I'm all for hunting and shooting sports, BUT............"
These are the folks we need to get to, share the truth, and be able to articulate these points to them in a honest and respectful manor! If these "events" continue to be Boy Scouts with guns, or hillbillies rolling coal and flying Gasdon flags, and all that, were done! I' Not going to waste my time, nor are all t e people we really need to reach, so, take it for what it is, it's our image we need to improve, and how we deliver the truth that really counts here!

@arakboss see if you can get in touch with @Joe Link to have the bbq added to the event calendar here on NWFA and maybe start a thread for the event if you haven't done so already.
I just posted it over at the Events thread, thanks for the tip on the calendar. I am hoping @Joe Link will make an appearance at the picnic. @mcwerx and family took the first three spots so only 247 more to go. I will attempt to contact Joe tomorrow. Thanks again.

If there was a way to keep the Tactical Teds away, and get positive media coverage, that'd be a huge win. The "cuz I can" brigade ruins things like this, because they are who reporters gravitate to for that soundbite to make gun owners look like idiots.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top