JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think rallies or "protests" could be made more effective by turning them into a positive and engaging event, versus a negative one. Something that you would want to go to anyways, if you weren't just mad about people trying to take away your rights.

Food, vendors, interesting speakers giving soundbite-friendly speeches about the importance of the right to bear arms. Something for kids and families to do other than just walk around and look angry. Opportunities for the public to safely handle unloaded weapons and real in-person comparisons between borderline "assault weapons" versus their grandfather's old hunting rifle.

Make it something more like a gun-faire but with a disruptive venue (e.g. in a city center, outside a courthouse). What needs to be done to win this is to convince regular people who are not gun owners that they might want to be, by drawing them in with their own interest. There is no other path to preserving a right other than making people understand it themselves.

As everyone says, time and place is also important. If you put it on a day that nobody can show up, then nobody will show up. There's no sense in trying to damage attendance by challenging gun owners to see who is the most committed to their rights.

I think rallies or "protests" could be made more effective by turning them into a positive and engaging event, versus a negative one. Something that you would want to go to anyways, if you weren't just mad about people trying to take away your rights.

Food, vendors, interesting speakers giving soundbite-friendly speeches about the importance of the right to bear arms. Something for kids and families to do other than just walk around and look angry. Opportunities for the public to safely handle unloaded weapons and real in-person comparisons between borderline "assault weapons" versus their grandfather's old hunting rifle.

Make it something more like a gun-faire but with a disruptive venue (e.g. in a city center, outside a courthouse). What needs to be done to win this is to convince regular people who are not gun owners that they might want to be, by drawing them in with their own interest. There is no other path to preserving a right other than making people understand it themselves.

As everyone says, time and place is also important. If you put it on a day that nobody can show up, then nobody will show up. There's no sense in trying to damage attendance by challenging gun owners to see who is the most committed to their rights.
I nominate Elf for lead organizer of next 2nd Amendment rally. Awesome ideas! If you don't mind can I copy and paste this on my reddit sub with credit to Elf of course?

Hah, that's fine to copy it. :)
I'm way more concerned with seeing us organize things successfully and keep our rights than getting credit!

I hope an Australian style ban doesn't happen in my lifetime.

I was thinking that, also. Now we have the likes of IP43, which proposes to do that very thing!! I think many gun owners are still of the thinking that they don't have to get involved because the "Constitution and B of R" protects their rights. This is no longer the case, as lower court judges are legislating from their bench. Tyranny is knocking on our doors, and we had better learn how to fight it!!

Yeah, something along the lines of a "constitutional BBQ", and invite all the members of the local congress. I mean what politician doesn't love a free lunch at our expense? I know the idea was to get more ppl there, but getting heard I think is the real issue, changing hearts and minds of the politicians. After all tyranny of the majority is what's going on so getting the majorities representative on your side is a good way to ease the tyranny.

Yeah, something along the lines of a "constitutional BBQ", and invite all the members of the local congress. I mean what politician doesn't love a free lunch at our expense? I know the idea was to get more ppl there, but getting heard I think is the real issue, changing hearts and minds of the politicians. After all tyranny of the majority is what's going on so getting the majorities representative on your side is a good way to ease the tyranny.
Yes I like the BBQ idea. I think this would work fabulously in city parks with nicer weather coming up. I am plugging it into my brain computer. If you have more details on how this could work let me know I would like to post this idea on my sub r/orgunowners

I believe, and this is sort of my main reason for limiting the amount of 2a in person stuff I do, it is the fear of retaliation limiting some folks.

Have a good job, well some asshat took a picture of you at a pro gun rally and now your employer sees your job as questionable. Or worse you mysteriously get fired.

That type of stuff happens and it scares the crap out of me.

Then there is the "you must pick a side" part. Where if your not full blown take it from my cold dead hands, your opinion and support isn't valid.

I feel that one a lot sometimes and it makes me question wanting to come to rallies.

Just some thoughts.

I believe, and this is sort of my main reason for limiting the amount of 2a in person stuff I do, it is the fear of retaliation limiting some folks.

Have a good job, well some asshat took a picture of you at a pro gun rally and now your employer sees your job as questionable. Or worse you mysteriously get fired.

That type of stuff happens and it scares the crap out of me.

Then there is the "you must pick a side" part. Where if your not full blown take it from my cold dead hands, your opinion and support isn't valid.

I feel that one a lot sometimes and it makes me question wanting to come to rallies.

Just some thoughts.
I understand your fears completely you might want to watch this hickok45 video, he talks about somebody bringing a confederate flag and they were standing right near him. Hickok45 was worried that somebody might snap a pic of him and Hickok45 would be associated with that flag. The BBQ idea is great because it could be done discreetly, no guns, no banners, no full on camo outfits, no PA systems. Just a group of people trying to discuss ways to protect our 2A rights over some grilled food. Hopefully some fence sitters will attend and we will have a chance at convincing them the 2A is worth protecting for everybody. This video is long and kind of boring:

I hope an Australian style ban doesn't happen in my lifetime.

The old saying about "hope" applies. Put Hope in one hand and S##t in the other, and see which fills up first!!

The time for "hope" is past, nothing left but fight, or surrender!! I say FIGHT!! Not one more inch, not one more compromise!! Soap box, ballot box.............. ammo box if it can't be avoided!!

It is not just OUR lifetime. We have an obligation to show respect for all those that have sacrificed or died, by passing our Civil Rights on to generations that follow!!
:s0014:

Going along the lines of what @Elf said: I feel like this is where organizations like Trash No Land and Kids SAFE Foundation can help bridge the gap. Especially TNL because their main focus isn't guns, it's stewardship of our public lands. As opposed to a rally or a protest, something more along the lines of an information fair would garner a lot more positive attention. Protests and rallies, of course, have their place, but if awareness and positive interactions/engagements are what people are hoping for then we need to go about it a different way.

Another thought: Generally speaking 2A rallies/protests are not necessarily welcoming to people of color or the lgbt crowd. Something like this may appeal more to some of the 2A supporting minority groups (of which there are more than a few) and it would better represent the diversity of gun owners.

I personally would love to see a Trash No Land or Kids SAFE Foundation tent at any of the myriad neighborhoods fairs or farmers markets. Presented as safety and stewardship organizations, both of them would fit right in at many of these types of things that happen around Portland.

This is what I would like to see. Years ago I went to one protest/rally in Salem and it was terrible. An Elvis impersonator, angry old white men (as noted above), people strutting around with ARs looking like they were ready to go to war. Bad speakers, none that would draw any one marginally interested in guns.It was an embarrassment and the first and last protest I went to. We need better organization and better promotion, both of which are tough to do.

Going along the lines of what @Elf said: I feel like this is where organizations like Trash No Land and Kids SAFE Foundation can help bridge the gap. Especially TNL because their main focus isn't guns, it's stewardship of our public lands. As opposed to a rally or a protest, something more along the lines of an information fair would garner a lot more positive attention. Protests and rallies, of course, have their place, but if awareness and positive interactions/engagements are what people are hoping for then we need to go about it a different way.

Another thought: Generally speaking 2A rallies/protests are not necessarily welcoming to people of color or the lgbt crowd. Something like this may appeal more to some of the 2A supporting minority groups (of which there are more than a few) and it would better represent the diversity of gun owners.

I personally would love to see a Trash No Land or Kids SAFE Foundation tent at any of the myriad neighborhoods fairs or farmers markets. Presented as safety and stewardship organizations, both of them would fit right in at many of these types of things that happen around Portland.
I agree with your suggestions 100%.

I agree with your suggestions 100%. I am going to take a stab at this idea by putting on a picnic for 2A supporters and anyone interested in the topic on June 30th. I am hoping to get a bunch of people from different backgrounds to show up but we'll see who responds. For Picnic details I have so far, check out this link and let me know if you have any suggested revisions I could make to the invite page: http://pro2aoregon.org/index.php/blog/

Liking the idea of a Second Amendment Faire. Perhaps offering Hunter Safety and Firearm Safety classes. Maybe even CHL classes (which could be financially sponsored by some pro gun organizations).

Education booths, to teach folks the difference between fully automatic "assault weapons" and semi-automatic "sporting arms".

The big thing is education and hands on. Take the mystery away. And for heavens sake, no one parading around with AR's slung on their shoulder. That's not how one goes about educating.

I agree with your suggestions 100%.

I agree with your suggestions 100%. I am going to take a stab at this idea by putting on a picnic for 2A supporters and anyone interested in the topic on June 30th. I am hoping to get a bunch of people from different backgrounds to show up but we'll see who responds. For Picnic details I have so far, check out this link and let me know if you have any suggested revisions I could make to the invite page: Pro2AOregon Picnic Info – Pro2AOregon

This would be a great place to have @Cogs or @Reno911 with TNL and @LethalLovebird with Kids SAFE foundation.

I would love to help. My goal is to make kids Firearm Safety mainstream. I'm all about community events. We have 2 B.B. gun ranges and want to put them to work.

I would love to help. My goal is to make kids Firearm Safety mainstream. I'm all about community events. We have 2 B.B. gun ranges and want to put them to work.
I will email you this week. BB gun ranges sound like a blast but I don't think they would be allowed in Cook Park. I will look in to it though. Do you have any electronic type shooting systems, like the Wii used?

at this point in the fight its about rebranding the effort. regardless of the end objective the person that comes in contact with this event needs to go back home with that opinion of "I didn't know they did X,Y or Z" or that feeling when their current opinion on "Weapons of War", "Assault Rifles" was challenged in such a way that they aren't sure what happened but it causes them do their own research to reform their opinion.
"Gun Faire" is a great idea. mix in the message with other outdoor related stuff;

Understanding your optic and how to mount and zero it
Firearms statistics (use real crime data from FBI, have handouts or the link available (think QR code)
Stewards of the woods (Forest clean up)
firearm types
Hunters Safety course

and on and on. have the engagements non kinetic and low impact. vet your speakers and volunteers and set ground rules for them.

anyhoooooo just my two cents if I was to do something like this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top