JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know of no method that kills good will towards each other faster than a profit motive does. If a business thinks it can control what you do or how you act for a profit do you think they won't do it. It is evident to me that isp's are no diffetent.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NOOOOOOO! Where would I get my news? If I couldn't log on to NWFA every day? Television? NOOOOO!!!!!!

Getting my news here I can always read different opinions from people I've come to respect, and feel like I get a better idea of the reality of things going on.

I lnow a lot of people would be devastated by this but realize that it is just my opinion.
Some are really passionate about the net & all this SM but alas I am not. I use it like a tool if it breaks then oh well....;)

I know of no method that kills good will towards each other faster than a profit motive does. If a business thinks it can control what you do or how you act for a profit do you think they won't do it. It is evident to me that isp's are no diffetent.
Profit isn't a "method".

Profit isn't a "method".
Call it what you wish i expect the companies that provide access to act strictly with a monetary motive with little concern for our ability to go where or do what we want on the internet. Amazed that so many think that profit motivated companies will not do what they want without a governing law that has some teeth.

I live in one of the poorest most rural parts of the state of Oregon and I have acces to 5 different ISPs not including wireless options so pretending anyone will have no choice Incase an ISP starts censoring your content is wrong.
Anytime we give government the option to control what one private companie can do over others is a bad thing. That limits real compitition.
I could guess with close to 100% certainty that most people for this act have zero understanding of economics. Let alone free markets.

No, you live very near one of the fastest growing areas in the state. I live in a rural area and have exactly one choice of ISP, no cell phone coverage, two radio stations available and only in one area on my property. Believe it or not I'm less than 50mi from Portland. I and my neighbours within 5sq miles are all in the same boat; we're either slave to one ISP that already has poor practices(like overselling bandwidth and then slashing everyone's speed) or we do without. Not much of a choice there.

Call it what you wish i expect the companies that provide access to act strictly with a monetary motive with little concern for our ability to go where or do what we want on the internet. Amazed that so many think that profit motivated companies will not do what they want without a governing law that has some teeth.
This argument makes little sense. The ISP company that limits where you can go on the net is not as attractive to the consumer as one that allows you to go wherever you choose.
That's called getting beat by the competition.
Unless you believe all the competition will just shake hands and ignore profits.

There is no sensible reason to limit access, other than for regulation or possibly parental control, for a company that makes its money providing internet access.
Look no further than state provided internet services like China's, if you want to see what internet access under a heavily regulated scheme looks like.
And taking control out of the hands of lawmakers and placing them under administrative rules like Title II is the first step in that direction.
To believe otherwise is folly.

No, you live very near one of the fastest growing areas in the state. I live in a rural area and have exactly one choice of ISP, no cell phone coverage, two radio stations available and only in one area on my property. Believe it or not I'm less than 50mi from Portland. I and my neighbours within 5sq miles are all in the same boat; we're either slave to one ISP that already has poor practices(like overselling bandwidth and then slashing everyone's speed) or we do without. Not much of a choice there.
That sounds like more of an infrastructure problem, which all people that live in rural areas deal with.
I'm surprised you don't have access to satellite service. Even the most remote areas have that option.

That sounds like more of an infrastructure problem, which all people that live in rural areas deal with.
I'm surprised you don't have access to satellite service. Even the most remote areas have that option.

We're in a deadzone currently with old lines in our area. The funny thing is new fibre's been laid to the north and south of us over the past couple years. Maybe by 2020 we'll have something faster than 1.5mbit down/256k up.

That could be what he is referring to. I used to live 1.5 miles due south of Hillsboro. Our only options for a long time were satellite or dialup. The dialup was crap because the phone lines and switches were crap. Never ever got better than 28k connection there. Eventually a cell repeater was put in allowing 3G (after 4G was standard and what most had switched to) connections. Both admittedly throttled connection speeds. Pretty terrible options, both were.

This argument makes little sense. The ISP company that limits where you can go on the net is not as attractive to the consumer as one that allows you to go wherever you choose.
That's called getting beat by the competition.
Unless you believe all the competition will just shake hands and ignore profits.

There is no sensible reason to limit access, other than for regulation or possibly parental control, for a company that makes its money providing internet access.
Look no further than state provided internet services like China's, if you want to see what internet access under a heavily regulated scheme looks like.
And taking control out of the hands of lawmakers and placing them under administrative rules like Title II is the first step in that direction.
To believe otherwise is folly.
Where I live I have Comcast unless I wish to go to something like Hughes Net. I ran the cable to my house. To my knowledge there are no other options unless I want to use my cell phone as a hot spot. Which long-term is cost prohibitive. There are many on this same situation
Let's see how this looks in a year or two.

We're in a deadzone currently with old lines in our area. The funny thing is new fibre's been laid to the north and south of us over the past couple years. Maybe by 2020 we'll have something faster than 1.5mbit down/256k up.
I lived in those types of areas for years, and if I did have cable, service tended to be intermittent at best, with consistent and often prolonged outages.
But unless you're advocating the government build a fiber quality net with access in every home, scenarios like yours will persist in those areas. It pretty much comes down to population density making infrastructure investment profitable.
Personally it never bothered me. But I knew what I was getting into when I bought the place.

Last Edited:
Where I live I have Comcast unless I wish to go to something like Hughes Net. I ran the cable to my house. To my knowledge there are no other options unless I want to use my cell phone as a hot spot. Which long-term is cost prohibitive. There are many on this same situation
Let's see how this looks in a year or two.
So, your land-line phone service isn't DSL capable/compatible?

So, your land-line phone service isn't DSL capable/compatible?
Why would I want DSL? When we bought our house two years ago there was no internet connectivity to it. I worked with Comcast to run the cable up the hill to my house after about 7k on my end it was done. I honestly don't know if we have DSL capability but doubt it since our phone also goes through comcast and I don't know of any DSL switches within my area.

Last Edited:
The point being with deregulation the companies will do as they want. The prices they charge will increase because to this you need to buy this package on

Why would I want DSL? When we bought our house two years ago there was no internet connectivity to it. I worked with Comcast to run the cable up the hill to my house after about 7k on my end it was done. I honestly don't know if we have DSL capability but doubt it since our phone also goes through comcast and I don't know of any DSL switches within my area.
Wait,... You bought a house as recently as 2 years ago, knowing full well it had no internet access, and now after paying for one option you're complaining that you only have one option?

Sorry JRuby, but that's on you. If you have an internet dependent job, and bought this house with this knowledge, no one can help you.
And IMO, no one should. That's like buying a house next to a shooting range or a racetrack, and then complaining about the noise.
Go rent an office downtown so you can have internet choices that foster competition.

Wait,... You bought a house as recently as 2 years ago, knowing full well it had no internet access, and now after paying for one option you're complaining that you only have one option?
I nevr

Sorry JRuby, but that's on you. If you have an internet dependent job, and bought this house with this knowledge, no one can help you.
And IMO, no one should. That's like buying a house next to a shooting range or a racetrack, and then complaining about the noise.
Go rent an office downtown so you can have internet choices that foster competition.
I am not complaining I am stating that I have one internet provider I like my service now and am in no need of help but thank you for your concern. What I am stating is that like me there are alot of others that are dependent on an internet provider and I am concerned without govetnanve that these providers will.start to run amuk. Without net neutrality they can do what they wan.

I work from home two days a week and live in the country on my own farm.

I am not complaining I am stating that I have one internet provider I like my service now and am in no need of help but thank you for your concern. What I am stating is that like me there are alot of others that are dependent on an internet provider and I am concerned without govetnanve that these providers will.start to run amuk. Without net neutrality they can do what they wan.

I work from home two days a week and live in the country on my own farm.
I spent the bulk of my life "living in the country" JRuby, I'm fully aware of what you give up to live that lifestyle.
And at this moment you're hand-wringing over a problem that hasn't happened, and if you hadn't been sold a bill of goods by the obama admin, you wouldn't be worried.
But I still contend that if your job is dependent upon the internet, and you bought this house without connectivity, you made a poor choice.
And I am tired of people telling the vast majority of Americans that we have to pay for their poor choices.

I spent the bulk of my life "living in the country" JRuby, I'm fully aware of what you give up to live that lifestyle.
And at this moment you're hand-wringing over a problem that hasn't happened, and if you hadn't been sold a bill of goods by the obama admin, you wouldn't be worried.
But I still contend that if your job is dependent upon the internet, and you bought this house without connectivity, you made a poor choice.
And I am tired of people telling the vast majority of Americans that we have to pay for their poor choices.

And I am tired of individuals who tell others what they should be doing and making statements that others do not know what they are talking about. When we are paying higher rates and they are even more limiting to content that what we have access to now will you still stand by your position. I see this like gun control you don't wait till it happens to do something about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Back Top