Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How often do you clean your concealed carry gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by matt_w, Dec 23, 2009.

1. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

After several weeks of carrying I'm noticing lint buildup on the inside of my glock and on the outside around the muzzle. No huge pieces or anything, but if I look closely at the inside of the slide, I can see small fibers everywhere, especially on the oiled surfaces.

I'm sure this is normal, especially since I'm carrying IWB with a holster that leaves some of the slide exposed (so my shirt/coat is rubbing against the slide), but it's still probably not great for the gun to have all that junk in there.

This brings me to my question. How often do you clean/check the gun that you carry on a daily basis?

2. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I clean mine on a weekly basis. Nothing spectacular, but to fix the same problem, cleaning the lint/particles that build up. I also clean out the inside of the mag body (since it usually resides in a pocket).

3. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll run a bore snake through it once every couple of weeks, and take it apart and clean it before I shoot it at the range.

4. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

I only inspect it and blow out the lint every week or two unless its shot then I clean.

5. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

i clean mine after any serious range session (400+ rounds)
    otherwise, if you plan to shoot it a long time, don't wear out the barrel with unnecessarily cleaning. drop oil where it needs to be and keep it lubed.

6. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

every couple of weeks

7. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I inspect it after every carry and clean it as required. That equates to a whole lot of carry and hardly any cleaning.

8. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Probably once a month if I haven't shot it but that rarely ever happens. I shoot my guns often enough that I can't say I've ever gone a month without cleaning. A round or 50 into the hillside every now and then keeps the Zombies at bay. :D

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Once a month or after I shoot it. Simple cleanings, field strip and boresnake. Once a year it gets stripped to the frame and thoroughly cleaned...

10. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I clean mine after shooting and inspect my carry pistol weekly for dust bunnies.

11. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I wipe it down a couple of times a week and clean it after every range trip. Some visual inspection time to time never hurts, either. If you trust your life to your carry gun, and you do, taking care of it becomes an automatic.

12. n47587

n47587 creswell Member

I completely clean mine every month reguardless if i have shot it or not. However, I check it closely every day before I carry it.

13. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

At least once or twice a month.

14. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I blow the lint out daily and clean it every couple of months or after a range session.