JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought one with the gauge on it from the Costco. The face on the dial was too vague to be accurate. It still showed "green" when it was empty.

I have two that I got from Camping World. They aren't super accurate, but they give a pretty good "general idea".

No idea on rules & regulations in Oregon, however for folks considering bulk propane tanks (new property, change of heating system, gen set etc), see if the tank can have a "wet leg" installed.

Wet leg allows for filling small tanks off of the bulk tank. Eg standard barbecue 20lb/30lb etc. Any number of reasons to have such ability.

Defense minister answered this perfectly. We took what we called a 2-1/2 gallon tank camping with 8 people. It was still going after 2 weeks. IT COOKED AT LEAST 2 square daily (Breakfast and dinner) for all of us. Sadly, I can't say how long it would have kept going, but even assuming it was close to empty, that's a rough idea. Looked like this. Amazon.com: Manchester Tank 10393.1 11# Acme/OPD Vertical LP Tank: Automotive

Mostly I want to add a few things.

1st) TURN THEM ON SLOWLY! Some have a safety feature that will shut them right off if too much gas goes out all at once. When you take it in and they say: sorry, can't fix it," don't simply toss it. That's how I got my first one for free. Took it to another propane place and they filled it and fixed it.

Next, my moms outdoor grill tank was rusting and ancient. I went to Costco and bought a brand new (empty) one. Took it to the gas station and as she was filling it I told the attendant my story. She said: " wish you'd mentioned that before you bought this, I could have saved you some money. Simply take to to the blue flame station (gas stations and convenance stores have these grated propane tank storage), and they'll trade it straight across"

Me: but the date is expired and it's rusty".

Her: "they don't care, they'll recondition yours". Fortunatly, I stillhave the old POS. That's how I got my second one for free. So, if you have an old rusty tank, take it to the propane exchange place. Don't throw it away.

3rd) They make devices where you can fill a little green tank with a 20 gallon tank. Worth considering if you camp a lot. Harbor Freight sells them. You can also buy hoses to hook the big tanks directly to a camp stove. I have that now. Good stuff.

Last Edited:
Defense minister answered this perfectly. We took what we called a 2-1/2 gallon tank camping with 8 people. It was still going after 2 weeks. Sadly, I can't say how long it would haae kept going, but even assuming it was close to empty, that's a rough idea. Amazon.com: Manchester Tank 10393.1 11# Acme/OPD Vertical LP Tank: Automotive

Mostly I want to add a few things.

1st) TURN THEM ON SLOWLY! Some have a safety feature that will shut them right off if too much gas goes out all at once. When you take it in and they say: sorry, can't fix it," don't simply toss it. That's how I got my first one for free. Took it to another propane place and they filled it and fixed it.

Next, my moms outdoor grill tank was rusting and ancient. I went to Costco and bought a brand new (empty) one. Took it to the gas station and as she was filling it I told the attendant my story. She said: " wish you'd mentioned that before you bought this, I could have saved you some money. Simply take to to the blue flame station (gas stations and convenance stores have these grated propane tank storage), and they'll trade it straight across"

Me: but the date is expired and it's rusty".

Her: "they don't care, they'll recondition yours". Fortunatly, I stillhave the old POS. That's how I got my second one for free. So, if you have an old rusty tank, take it to the propane exchange place. Don't throw it away.

3rd) They make devices where you can fill a little green tank with a 20 gallon tank. Worth considering if you camp a lot. Harbor Freight sells them. You can also buy hoses to hook the big tanks directly to a camp stove. I have that now. Good stuff.

Yeah I saw the $40 ones new at the stores and was like, I can buy a used one FULL for that price rather than an empty one that costs $40 to fill up and $40 for the tank cost. I just trade mine straight across and usually get one in better condition anyways. You CAN have them just fill yours up but it's usually a wait. I just trade straight across.

Had no idea how fast an LP tank needs re-certification. (I'm getting older - things happen fast...)

Certification USED to be 12 yrs, but was changed a few yrs ago to 10 yrs.

Wet legs are a good way to go. Just gotta be careful because opening that tank valve with liquid in it, the valve can freeze and you have a free flow. As a Tech, I would only do it with newer tanks, say 20 yrs or newer. Had to throw away more than 1 set of work clothes when getting sprayed. The bottom of the tank has a higher percentage of etheyl-mercaptine.
The companies that I worked for would fill your bottles if you had them next to the tank when we filled the main tank.

Thats the OPD (Overfill Prevention Device). Its similar to a toilet float. Sometimes it get stuck in the locked position and won't gas out or fill. if that happens, try slaming it onto its feet several times to re-set the valve.
OPD's have been law for decades.

CELL PICS 007.jpg STRAWBERRY JEEP SEPT. 18 025.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews